Danny Cowley Portsmouth FC career update

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Danny Cowley Portsmouth FC career update

Post by Selsey Bill »

I sense a good proportion of my fellow board members on here are not fans of our PE teacher brother double act, but surely you have to admit that this has been our best transfer window for quite some time, and we've only signed two loan players!
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Danny Cowley Portsmouth FC career update

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Selsey Bill wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:35 pm I sense a good proportion of my fellow board members on here are not fans of our PE teacher brother double act, but surely you have to admit that this has been our best transfer window for quite some time, and we've only signed two loan players!
I'm with you SB - I'm confident that the Cowleys will put together a successful team and really like the positive attitude they've brought to the club and community.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I'm not sold on him, but I can see what he is trying to do and I can see it happening on occasions - including the first 20 minutes on Saturday, and it's not many weeks ago we were the high press kings of the country.

For me it's clear this squad he has now isn't the squad he wants, but he has to field a side and despite being in transition he still wants to win games and get the play offs.

I'm hoping that the wiggle room we now have in the budget means he can get a few more of the players he wants in now but more so in the summer when we lose even more.

The players we have got in are by and large better than the ones we let go or at least of equal ability. I don't expect Williams to be here next season he was a signing to plug a gap.

Their biggest crime for me was the last game of last season and their inability to get the team up for that game but so far I can see where we are trying to go and it's going to take time.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Pompey55 »

But yet again it’s loans not loans with option to buy. Short term fixes again not a long term transitional plan.
In the summer 4 loans 2 gone I’m discounting Bazunu as that’s an issue that divides this forum and the jury is still out regarding Hirst so let’s wait until the end of the window as now his only options will not include more loans.
I’d like us to try and turn Romeo to a contract player then opens up another loan.
I would also suggest that Freeman and Williams have hardly set the place on fire so it’s hit and miss with his record on recruitment in my view
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Blue Walter »

The jury is still out for me I am afraid. They have said a lot but, in my opinion, there is little evidence of any improvement yet. I think talk of 'transition' is, again, not really showing much either other than getting the high earners off the wage bill. I don't like their reliance on loaning players, which is a concern for me because they have a history of using the loan system. We have just got rid of 5 players so I am looking with interest as to how many of their replacements will be loans. So far the two who have come in are loans of which one definitely will not be here next season. If the striker turns out to be successful he will be too expensive anyway.

Obviously I hope they turn out to be successful and I don't write them off because they may well turn out to be good for the club. But as things stand I am disappointed with them so far.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Selsey Bill wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:35 pm I sense a good proportion of my fellow board members on here are not fans of our PE teacher brother double act, but surely you have to admit that this has been our best transfer window for quite some time, and we've only signed two loan players!
TBH I'm more impressed with the 'outs' than the 'ins' in this window. It almost completes the Cowley clear-out and sets us up for an interesting summer when we finally see what the result of three-transfer windows looks like. With their own players starting 2022-23, the excuses have run out. I expect to finally see the pressing, attacking football we were promised.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Blue Walter »

You would be hard pressed to have a worse January window than our recent record. These two new loans may turn out to be brilliant but I would hardly say that brining in two loan players is too much to get excited about.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I think it is a question of the silent majority who support the Cowleys. It seems to be the noisy newer posters that have a down on most things including the Cowleys. I think they are doing a better job of it than their predecessor. This transfer window clearly illustrates that. They have got rid of the dead wood and are clearly being very careful with the recruitment. Pompey are within striking distance of the `Play Offs` in a transition season. Life is not perfect and I think they are doing a good job in difficult circumstances.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:12 pm The jury is still out for me I am afraid. They have said a lot but, in my opinion, there is little evidence of any improvement yet. I think talk of 'transition' is, again, not really showing much either other than getting the high earners off the wage bill. I don't like their reliance on loaning players, which is a concern for me because they have a history of using the loan system. We have just got rid of 5 players so I am looking with interest as to how many of their replacements will be loans. So far the two who have come in are loans of which one definitely will not be here next season. If the striker turns out to be successful he will be too expensive anyway.

Obviously I hope they turn out to be successful and I don't write them off because they may well turn out to be good for the club. But as things stand I am disappointed with them so far.
Well he’s run out of loan options now so unless we bring players in on contracts that’s our lot this window hardly a successful window so far as adding a centre back gives us cover not necessarily an improvement so in my view only one true improvement
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I'd swap them for Paul Cook.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:21 pm I'd swap them for Paul Cook.
No chance, Cook without Leam Richardson is nothing.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

PakefieldBlue wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:22 pm
I think this season has proven that
To be the devils advocate which Cowley really pulls the strings?
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

:thumb :thumb
BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:19 pm I think it is a question of the silent majority who support the Cowleys. It seems to be the noisy newer posters that have a down on most things including the Cowleys. I think they are doing a better job of it than their predecessor. This transfer window clearly illustrates that. They have got rid of the dead wood and are clearly being very careful with the recruitment. Pompey are within striking distance of the `Play Offs` in a transition season. Life is not perfect and I think they are doing a good job in difficult circumstances.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Pompey55 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:30 pm
PakefieldBlue wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:22 pm
I think this season has proven that
To be the devils advocate which Cowley really pulls the strings?
I guess that it doesn't matter as long as they don't fall out 🙂
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Dinksy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:13 pm TBH I'm more impressed with the 'outs' than the 'ins' in this window.
This is EXACTLY my point