Premier League: Hang your head in shame.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

itsaintfunny
Mick Channon
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Re: Premier League: Hang your head in shame.

Post by itsaintfunny »

I used to post on the old BBC Pompey message board and then a lot of us on this board used a site called I think mysportstalk and when that closed Rubi was kind enough to set up this site nearly nine years ago which has since largely been an interesting place to read and post .
In the early days there were often social events during which I have met a number of people who still post on here .
Pompey board or not its a good forum.
As for my allegiance I am sure you have worked it out but my Dad was a Pompey lad born and bred and a fanatical Pompey fan which I only really found out about in the last few years of his life .
Used to be a STH at The Dell and St Mary's but these days make around 12 games or so a season .
Anyhow the Prem might not be as good but its a good place to be and at one point I thought we would cease to exist so I will enjoy it .
I hope Pompey can start getting back up and I guess the play offs might be feasible this season and you have at least put a decent run together so enjoy.
dickinson
Gary O'Neil

Post by dickinson »

Going back a bit but was anyone else at the Dell when all the players gave Jimmy Dickinson a guard of honour in 1965. I think we drew 2-2. I'm not even sure if I've got my date right, it was around that time. Great days.

Interesting post Itsaintfunny, I'm surprised your Dad kept it from you who he supported, obviously kept his cards close to his chest. Like you, I love the site and enjoy the largely intelligent comments, don't always agree with them but I respect their opinions on the whole. It would be boring if we all thought the same about things. I could never support Southampton,it's sort of in my DNA not to, but I respect very much what you have achieved over the last few years and have to confess to wishing Pompey could have done the same.
To accept ones ignorance is a great step towards an education - Abraham Lincoln
Lindford Saint
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Lindford Saint »

Can't work out if the OP is: pi$$ed, sad, Deluded, bitter, twisted, jealous, Misled or could it be all of the above.

Anyway this thread has provided me with many laughs on a quiet night in Aberdeen.

Of course as Saints fans we would love to be mid table Fourth Division team.
Paid to drink beer, lie on a beach, see the world and the Queen trusted me. Bargain!!!
dickinson
Gary O'Neil

Post by dickinson »

Careful what you wish for Lindford!
itsaintfunny
Mick Channon
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by itsaintfunny »

I think it was 1965 and from what I remember Jimmy Melia got both our goals and both sides lined up to clap Gentleman Jim.
I would have been in the boys section with some lads from school- my first game was 1963 but my programmes start from 65.
Lindford Saint
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Lindford Saint »

dickinson wrote:Careful what you wish for Lindford!
It was rather nice actually
Paid to drink beer, lie on a beach, see the world and the Queen trusted me. Bargain!!!
dickinson
Gary O'Neil

Post by dickinson »

Yes that's right. 'The band played for he's a jolly good fellow.'
Lindford Saint
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Lindford Saint »

dickinson wrote:Yes that's right. 'The band played for he's a jolly good fellow.'
Que sera, sera
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

I def agree that the Premier League is far from being the strongest league in the world....poss 3rd / 4th best in Europe and standards have dropped...look at Utd this season utter garbage but 4th in the Prem

The fact that Saints are close to the top this season is a good thing though and heres why i say that....all their so called star players left for bigger clubs (as an aside note none of them have set their new clubs alight) leaving RK to create another TEAM for peanuts when compared to the sides above them and they are playing good football too - as has been said already credit where its due.

Teamwork surely should be valued over marque signings - look at Di Maria....sorry shadow of his former self when at RM.
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

Mickemo wrote:I def agree that the Premier League is far from being the strongest league in the world....poss 3rd / 4th best in Europe and standards have dropped...look at Utd this season utter garbage but 4th in the Prem

The fact that Saints are close to the top this season is a good thing though and heres why i say that....all their so called star players left for bigger clubs (as an aside note none of them have set their new clubs alight) leaving RK to create another TEAM for peanuts when compared to the sides above them and they are playing good football too - as has been said already credit where its due.

Teamwork surely should be valued over marque signings - look at Di Maria....sorry shadow of his former self when at RM.
:thumb
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
brian lewis
Mickey Quinn

Post by brian lewis »

'Teamwork surely should be valued over marque signings - look at Di Maria....sorry shadow of his former self when at RM.'

Di Maria is not the player he was last season - very true. What is forgotten by our ignorant footballing press is that Angel is the player he was the previous 3 seasons - inconsistent. Along come ManU and RM say thank you very much!!!

'Best teams in the world are in the Premier League? Best league in the world? I'm not convinced.'

The Premier is not the best technically therefore cannot be the best. I think that point is excepted. In terms of competitiveness and entertainment I believe it is the World leader - at the moment. However if the Bundesliga can break into the big international markets then the premier will be in trouble because, although Bayern totally dominate, the rest are pretty equal and nobody parks the bus! It is fast catching the Prem on entertainment value.

As for our clubs debacle in Europe..... well tactically clubs appear all over the place, even though all these foreign coaches are employed as British coaches/managers are deemed not up to the task.
There is a dearth of top quality defenders, something our clubs are doing little about (developement of home talent). Instead they are paying inflated prices for average foreign players (Mangala, Rojo, Luis( I know he's gone) There appears to be no tactical defensive coaching, as happens in Italy, to overcome this deficiency. Until our clubs sort this out they will continue to struggle unless they employ Rafa Benetiz or an Italian( I know I know, Mancini and Di Canio but Ancelotti did ok) or Jose can be cloned.
The hardest challenge is to be yourself in a world where everyone else is trying to make you be somebody else
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Lindford Saint wrote:Can't work out if the OP is: pi$$ed, sad, Deluded, bitter, twisted, jealous, Misled or could it be all of the above.
Just plain odd, Lindy.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour