Woman buys ticket for train

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Woman buys ticket for train

Post by Weybridge »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-35121745

I like how they refer to it as a 'commuter train'. The 11.44 to Kings Lynn. Sure, packed full of commuters that one.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Re: Woman buys ticket for train

Post by Locky_McLockface »

I wonder what the reasoning behind that was - you'd have thought one of her official cars would have been able to make it from Buck House to Sandringham.

Did she actually choose to travel on a public train, with all the hoy-polloy? Good for her, if so, she'd never have done it 30 years ago.

I wonder if someone had to give up their seat for an elderly lady?

I'm also wondering if anyone asked for a selfie with her??????
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

And in linked news, Network Rail have released figures for the busiest and quietest stations.

Busiest is Waterloo, no surprises.

Quietest, Shippea Hill in Cambridgeshire. 22 passenger entries and exits. In 2014-15. Why is it still open?
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
miltoninLA
Kev the Kitman

Post by miltoninLA »

the_lock_man wrote:And in linked news, Network Rail have released figures for the busiest and quietest stations.

Quietest, Shippea Hill in Cambridgeshire. 22 passenger entries and exits. In 2014-15. Why is it still open?
Because if you close down the quietest station next week you'll have to close down the two quietest stations, and then you'll have to hire Dr Beeching to close down half of public transport and before you know it England has been sold to the Russians for spare parts.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking.
ddavis
Kev the Kitman

Post by ddavis »

the_lock_man wrote:And in linked news, Network Rail have released figures for the busiest and quietest stations.

Gets better - Shippea Hill has one departure per day (Norwich I think).

Doesn't return though!
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

the_lock_man wrote:Quietest, Shippea Hill in Cambridgeshire. 22 passenger entries and exits. In 2014-15. Why is it still open?
It might be a condition of access when they built the route in the 19th century. Landowners would insist on a station being built and a minimum of services being delivered. There's a few still around the country like that.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
1G18
Alan Biley

Post by 1G18 »

There's lots of stations like that, Teeside Airport is another one, as is Polesworth which is served only by a replacement bus once a week as it costs more to go through the closure procedure than to operate one train a week.

Additionally HM The Queen is sometimes seen on Waterloo-Portsmouth trains if she has an engagement at the dockyard and she travels in first class which will be reserved for her exclusive use, last time I saw her come down was May last year:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/40172673@ ... e8d-rCRHDV

I wasn't the guard on that one but the crew were not specially chosen for the job, it's just whoever is rostered for the job that gets it.
AyingerPFC
Gary O'Neil

Post by AyingerPFC »

Trowbridge is as well, I believe.