David Forde on loan?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Re: David Forde on loan?

Post by Lost in Transportation »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:tbh it's all a bit depressing innit......throughout the years, in all the divisions, Pompey seem to have had a reliable fixture between the sticks for the most part. This glaringly obvious hole in the current team seems unfillable by Captain Cook......can yer not even find a decent goalie Sir?.....you've had 14 months....need more time?
I'm encouraged that this is a decent signing. Forde has had a good career as a 1st choice keeper. I've seen him play on a few occasions and never thought of him as a 'dodgy' keeper. He is loud and an organiser which will complement our young defence. He might not have the athleticism of a few years ago but what he needs to be is solid and consistent.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
past memories
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 2 times

Post by past memories »

pomp 'n circumstance wrote:
portchesterblue wrote:LOL pomp you have really read up on him haven't you.
why has he got baggage ?? he has been at millwall for 6 years and been ousted by a young up n coming and well thought of keeper.
I know that I'd prefer (to quote you) 'a young and well thought of keeper.' Mr Forde is an old pro who will have nothing in common with some of our kids and I can't see him bonding that well in the team structure. If you're his age and still playing, he'll be set in his ways and his baggage is that he's prone to errors......

All right to warm the bench but not a first choice keeper!
So how would you rate the career of Peter Shilton, retired at 47.
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

past memories wrote:
why has he got baggage ?? he has been at millwall for 6 years and been ousted by a young up n coming and well thought of keeper.
I know that I'd prefer (to quote you) 'a young and well thought of keeper.' Mr Forde is an old pro who will have nothing in common with some of our kids and I can't see him bonding that well in the team structure. If you're his age and still playing, he'll be set in his ways and his baggage is that he's prone to errors......

So how would you rate the career of Peter Shilton, retired at 47.
In hindsight, I suspect Shilts would admit he went on far too long! Any more of those stats and we'll end up being lumbered with Mr Forde for even longer....and I've spoken to a few Millwall fans who are not unhappy to see him depart for pastures new.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Clean sheet this afternoon.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

There was a smart stop from debut-making David Forde to keep out Joe Bryan’s angled drive after 26 minutes.

The keeper also produced some confident takes and punches from corners in an assured start.
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/footb ... -1-7502470
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

RubiconCSL wrote:
There was a smart stop from debut-making David Forde to keep out Joe Bryan’s angled drive after 26 minutes.

The keeper also produced some confident takes and punches from corners in an assured start.
Encouraging start from our aged keeper in a no consequence game.....but I would remind you Mein Fuhrer that 'one swallow does not a summer make'. Come the chill winds of winter and we may feel differently about having a stopper with a tendency to drop the odd clanger. Forde or afFORDEbility?
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

I love that you are basing the reasoning for your assumptions on his age. Maybe we should ditch Roberts and Baker too, after all they are over thirty and wont have anything in common with the kids.
As for the clangers, you have read the reports that he made 2 last season, what historical basis have you?? 24 caps for the republic of Ireland, 299 games for millwall, yeah I reckon he must have made a whole host of clangers to have only played those few games
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

RubiconCSL wrote:

Encouraging start from our aged keeper in a no consequence game.....but I would remind you Mein Fuhrer that 'one swallow does not a summer make'. Come the chill winds of winter and we may feel differently about having a stopper with a tendency to drop the odd clanger. Forde or afFORDEbility?
Find me a keeper at any level who hasn't dropped a clanger?
Pompey_Galactico
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey_Galactico »

I think people forget that before he became a Pompey legend a certain Mr James was labelled calamity James.

Granted he is a different level to Forde but the point remains. Every keeper at some point has a bad patch. David Forde is a very good keeper for this level. Also as was said previous, over 300 apps for Millwall so he is no journeyman. They have 2 good young keepers ready for first team action. Because of that we have benefitted from it. Don't think can complain.
Life is all about ass. You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it or trying to get a piece of it.

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a crate .... coincidence? i think not!!!
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Pompey_Galactico wrote:I think people forget that before he became a Pompey legend a certain Mr James was labelled calamity James.

Granted he is a different level to Forde but the point remains. Every keeper at some point has a bad patch. David Forde is a very good keeper for this level. Also as was said previous, over 300 apps for Millwall so he is no journeyman. They have 2 good young keepers ready for first team action. Because of that we have benefitted from it. Don't think can complain.
Good point, P_G.

I can remember being a little cautious about Jamo when it was first mooted he could be coming down to Fratton Park.

But he is simply the best goalkeeper by a significant margin that I've ever seen pull on a Pompey jersey....and we've had some decent ones over the years.

If Forde is half as good as Jamo then we have a gem.

But even Jamo did occasionally do something mad. As Dennis Wise says afterwards you see the best and the worst of him in this match linked below...

[youtube][/youtube]
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

David James. Oh hang on....

We probably would never have got James into our club if he hadn't had the Calamity James label. Did okay for us I reckon. A good few clangers yes, but was still a good buy in my mind. I think perhaps having all that experience behind the back four may well bring some confidence to the defence. But yes Pomp, time will tell! I'm sure you will love to be proved wrong on this.
Pompey1985 wrote:
RubiconCSL wrote:

Find me a keeper at any level who hasn't dropped a clanger?
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.