New Manager...

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: New Manager...

Post by Pompey Penguin »

jam tomorrow wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:14 pm Harry could bring his Nephew Frank Lampard in with him and Frank could continue on next season :rofl
...and Harry could move upstairs to be Chief Finance Officer.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:28 pm
jam tomorrow wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:14 pm Harry could bring his Nephew Frank Lampard in with him and Frank could continue on next season :rofl
...and Harry could move upstairs to be Chief Finance Officer.
The very thought of that brings me out in a cold sweat! He was a good manager and motivator though.
Chiswick Blue
Kev the Kitman

Post by Chiswick Blue »

Anyone but Redknapp. :thumb
"If you would take the pains but to examine the wars of Pompey the Great, you shall find, I warrant you, that there is no tiddle-taddle nor pibble-pabble in Pompey's camp." - Henry V - Act 4, scene 1
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Pompski! »

Hmmm, Stendel:

Got Barnsley promoted to the Championship in his only full season before he was sacked in Oct 2019. Then went to Midlothian in December 2019 who were relegated, and he was sacked again in June.

Sounds perfect for Pompey - fans can then demand he be sacked in October. Happy days again. :roll:
I am me, the universe and you.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Pompski! wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:47 pm Hmmm, Stendel:

Got Barnsley promoted to the Championship in his only full season before he was sacked in Oct 2019. Then went to Midlothian in December 2019 who were relegated, and he was sacked again in June.

Sounds perfect for Pompey - fans can then demand he be sacked in October. Happy days again. :roll:
Bit harsh on Stendel. He stood down without pay during the lockdown to save the club money. The season was cancelled and Hearts got relegated. They then took the opportunity to appoint a cheaper manager for the lower league.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

With Harris ruling himself out of contention because he won’t accept a short term contract apparently Stendel and Cowley not happy either it does seem we are restricting our chances of landing anyone worth their salt. Bowyer has gone to Brum as well, So it looks like there is a manager currently at a club that the owners are keen on waiting for maybe Karl Robinson, although I think his contract runs until 2023??
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

What do you mean aren’t happy?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Who are these managers that suddenly become interested in the summer? There either interested now or they aren't surely. If they suddenly become avalaible in the summer does that mean they have been sacked e.g. failed to meet this season's objective.

Seems like we run the risk of missing out on some options because we are eager for a short term deal. Is someone on a promise for a job in the summer? Because Kenny was off anyway?
meakinsl
Milan Mandaric
Been liked: 6 times

Post by meakinsl »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:18 pm Who are these managers that suddenly become interested in the summer? There either interested now or they aren't surely. If they suddenly become avalaible in the summer does that mean they have been sacked e.g. failed to meet this season's objective.

Seems like we run the risk of missing out on some options because we are eager for a short term deal. Is someone on a promise for a job in the summer? Because Kenny was off anyway?
Sounds like it
Sawbo Blue
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Sawbo Blue »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:18 pm Is someone on a promise for a job in the summer? Because Kenny was off anyway?
Looks like that. Can't see Cowleys or any of the top targets accepting a short term deal, leaving us with either an enthusiastic young newbie like Matty Taylor; or someone leftfield like Harry. Worst case scenario is we appoint a stop gap now and our Plan A manager falls through in the summer, meaning we miss out on the fairly decent Plan B options available now.

Plan A better be worth the risk, if this is how it is.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Not only is there a chance we end up with diddly squat in the summer but the players will not respect a manager here just for 12 games. Meaning he will have negative affect on getting us into the play offs, or even winning games
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

jam tomorrow wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:36 pm Not only is there a chance we end up with diddly squat in the summer but the players will not respect a manager here just for 12 games. Meaning he will have negative affect on getting us into the play offs, or even winning games

Worse than the previous seven games? Lol I think not.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Paul Warne or Gareth Ainsworth ? I did wonder whether one of these may be who we are holding out for in the summer but your guess is as good as mine could be anybody. I hope whoever we get in overhauls our whole recruitment policy because it hasn't been our most finest hour.
-- Diane Johnson
PompeyinAnjou
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 16 times

Post by PompeyinAnjou »

I suspect this summer manager target is a fantasy.

Catlin and co have had plenty of time to line up a replacement, because it has been obvious from the performances that Jackett was on his way out. If someone is really interested in the job either he should take it now, or Pompey need topay up the extra money to cover the next few months.

Insulting highly regarded potential managers with offers until the end of the season won't help negotiations with them or others. It also sends completely the wrong message to the players, who have been exactly on it, the last few weeks. Give The Cowleys a proper contract of a couple of seasons, with an option for a third. I hope that is what is now on the table seeing that they are 2/5 with Skybet.

Otherwise, both Pompey and the Cowleys, or any other mug, is facing a more difficult task of turning this season around.
Using the News to undermine the Cowleys, by labelling them 'hoofball' merchants isn't exactly good football business either, longer term.

Catlin hasn't exactly covered himself in glory so far.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb