Accrington Stanley

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Hamburg Skate
Paul Merson

Re: Accrington Stanley

Post by Hamburg Skate »

Another year in div 3 then...
Brexit....Voted for it...Sorry i was wrong.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Whatmough was slow an ponderous.

You can't afford to only turn up for 45 minutes a game
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

I'm sorry, but however much we like Danny Cowley, you can't blame this shower of sh*te on Jackett. They had seven days to prepare for this and looked like a bunch of strangers. Looking at our last few games I would say John Coleman would be a better shout for manager
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

I think this match has seriously dented the credibility of the Cowley’s to move us forward
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Cowley's seemed to know they were done before kick off - so did the team. Curtiss played for a transfer, and I am struggling tot hink of anyone who comes off the field with credibility other than their keeper.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Dinksy wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:56 pm I'm sorry, but however much we like Danny Cowley, you can't blame this shower of sh*te on Jackett. They had seven days to prepare for this and looked like a bunch of strangers. Looking at our last few games I would say John Coleman would be a better shout for manager
Of course you can!! This is Jackett's team not the Cowley's. They are a totally useless bunch who are not capable of being coached and brought up to Championship quality. Why not give them the courtesy of allowing them to build their own team before you slag them off. All the blame is firmly at Jackett's door. 8)
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

eltorrro wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:05 pm
Dinksy wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:56 pm I'm sorry, but however much we like Danny Cowley, you can't blame this shower of sh*te on Jackett. They had seven days to prepare for this and looked like a bunch of strangers. Looking at our last few games I would say John Coleman would be a better shout for manager
Of course you can!! This is Jackett's team not the Cowley's. They are a totally useless bunch who are not capable of being coached and brought up to Championship quality. Why not give them the courtesy of allowing them to build their own team before you slag them off. All the blame is firmly at Jackett's door. 8)
You can't blame Jackett for the difference between the first half and the second half performances.

We had to win one game - and we couldn't do it. Not only could we not win the game in the first half was unacceptable whatever the level.

The side at them moment is no better than the Jackett side when we were winning.
Last edited by Pompey1984+1 on Sun May 09, 2021 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

A match that pretty much sums up our season. At no point did we look like a team with a sense of collective prupose and a gameplan that everyone understood. The whole thing relied on individual skill to create an opening, and when that didn't work there was nowhere near enough evidence of players working together to engineer something. The Stanley defence is not very good (to be polite), but we didn't do anything that put them under any real pressure.

Whoever is in charge, and I assume that it will still be the Cowleys, then we have to draw a line under the last four years and start again with a largely new squad of players. A bit like when Paul Cook took over and rebuilt the team to play the way he wanted, not just professional footballers doing what professional footballers do, which is competent enough, but almost the definition of mediocrity.

Oh well. Euros 2020, transfer rumours/signings and it will soon be next season.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Dinksy wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:29 pm
eltorrro wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:08 pm
Dinksy wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:53 pm As bad as anything under Jackett with a let-off at the end of this dire half just to underline the matter
However, didn't Bishop take it well...we will never see Marquis do anything like it.

Afraid we are just not good enough...let's have a good clear out and start afresh. Take off Williams and Marquis for Byers and Hiwula, can't be worse. 8)
He took it well because Whatmough failed to block
I wouldn't be too upset if we let him go this summer. I'd much rather we kept Close.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Their Goalkeeper was judged Man of the Match, how do we put that into perpective
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:15 pm Their Goalkeeper was judged Man of the Match, how do we put that into perpective
How many of the 'saves' he made would you have put in the bracket of non basic?
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

We have got to be totally honest with ourselves how many of this team have the quality needed to get us out of this dire league?
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:15 pm Their Goalkeeper was judged Man of the Match, how do we put that into perpective
If he’d have gone off when he took the knock on the knee I think we would have won.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

jam tomorrow wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:22 pm We have got to be totally honest with ourselves how many of this team have the quality needed to get us out of this dire league?
I'd keep the following:

Big Mac.
Johnson.
Downing.
Brown.
Close.
Naylor.
Williams.
Marquis.
Harness.

I'd sell Curtis to try and fund a rebuilt and I don't think all of those named should be automatic picks on the team sheet but they should be retained.

I like the look of Byers he had something the rest don't but I can't see anyone being in a rush to come on loan to us.

In reality I think we will let nearly all those out of contract go / they won't stay.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

jam tomorrow wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:22 pm We have got to be totally honest with ourselves how many of this team have the quality needed to get us out of this dire league?

We were top of the league at Christmas and went a fair few games without conceding so it’s not like this team can’t get results. I think the issue is mental as much as anything. That being said we need some new players and a different type of player for the cowleys to make their system work.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix