Accrington Stanley

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Accrington Stanley

Post by Betelgeuse »

Sam_Brown wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:46 am
Betelgeuse wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:07 am I hope they sell up because they clearly don't want to invest in the club.
I'd like to think you're in a very small minority with that sort of thinking. Surely on the wind up no?
Why would I be on a wind up? They've been here 4 years and achieved basically nothing. Eat what we kill is their mantra. No plan, no strategy just blind hope.

You only have to look at other clubs run by Americans to see how their business model works.
meakinsl
Milan Mandaric
Been liked: 5 times

Post by meakinsl »

Looking at the teams under new ownership and the teams coming down then with our budget we are going to be looking at play-offs at best - we have just to accept that our natural place is now league 1 unless we uncover some talent and manager that can blend a team of youngsters and loanees, if we had by some fluke managed to go up via the play-offs couldn't see us surviving. Depressing given our past but with the sensible living within our means thats where I think we are, league 1 with the odd adventure into the championship and back.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Blue Walter »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:16 pm The biggest obstacle that needs to be overcome is the mindset that we're a big club - we're NOT!
Sorry to disagree, but we are a big club in League 1. I think the problem is that we haven't acted like one for some time. There are other big clubs in this league and the comparisons drawn between us, Charlton, Ipswich, Sunderland & Hull against the likes of Accrington, Fleetwood, Burton so on can be no other verdict other than little clubs and big clubs.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

meakinsl wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:34 pm Looking at the teams under new ownership and the teams coming down then with our budget we are going to be looking at play-offs at best - we have just to accept that our natural place is now league 1 unless we uncover some talent and manager that can blend a team of youngsters and loanees, if we had by some fluke managed to go up via the play-offs couldn't see us surviving. Depressing given our past but with the sensible living within our means thats where I think we are, league 1 with the odd adventure into the championship and back.
We need investment in the playing side by the owners. Can't see that happening so we'll remain a league one club for a generation if we're not careful. That and the lack of new stadium will see crowds dwindle over time as people lose interest.
If the owners want to make their asset in to one that's worth a lot of money they need to invest in the team to enable us to gain promotion, and build us a new stadium.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Blue Walter wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:39 pm
No Shot Sherlock wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:16 pm The biggest obstacle that needs to be overcome is the mindset that we're a big club - we're NOT!
Sorry to disagree, but we are a big club in League 1. I think the problem is that we haven't acted like one for some time. There are other big clubs in this league and the comparisons drawn between us, Charlton, Ipswich, Sunderland & Hull against the likes of Accrington, Fleetwood, Burton so on can be no other verdict other than little clubs and big clubs.
I agree we are a big club. I'd love to see the Cowley's turn us into a team that plays with the arrogance, agression and entitlement of a big club stuck in a league that is frankly beneath us. That we fear no one and go out to win every game with on simple mantra - attack - attack - attack.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Betelgeuse wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:43 pm We need investment in the playing side by the owners. Can't see that happening so we'll remain a league one club for a generation if we're not careful.=
Completely disagree. I feel the club has bought in players and not been afraid to spend money. The issue is that these players haven't worked out and in some cases it's felt like we've signed players for the sake of signing someone, anyone, rather than having a plan. Anyone can spend money but even spending money doesn't guarantee you success. Especially if the players you get in aren't up to the job. Spend money yes... but be sensible about it and don't just spend money for the sake of it.

It sounds like the Cowley's have a play style in mind and know exactly what attributes they want in the players they sign. This is already a marked difference to the Jackett days who I've always felt lacked a certain vision in regards to the team. As emphasised by the fact even after 2/3 of the season he still didn't seem to know his best team.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Sheffield Wednesday are are basket case at the moment.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

Sam_Brown wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:49 pm
Betelgeuse wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:43 pm We need investment in the playing side by the owners. Can't see that happening so we'll remain a league one club for a generation if we're not careful.=
Completely disagree. I feel the club has bought in players and not been afraid to spend money. The issue is that these players haven't worked out and in some cases it's felt like we've signed players for the sake of signing someone, anyone, rather than having a plan. Anyone can spend money but even spending money doesn't guarantee you success. Especially if the players you get in aren't up to the job. Spend money yes... but be sensible about it and don't just spend money for the sake of it.

It sounds like the Cowley's have a play style in mind and know exactly what attributes they want in the players they sign. This is already a marked difference to the Jackett days who I've always felt lacked a certain vision in regards to the team. As emphasised by the fact even after 2/3 of the season he still didn't seem to know his best team.
There are some gems to be found at lower level but if you look at most of the clubs that have been promoted since we've been in this division their players have been better than ours. Which costs money. Not in every case but the majority. It's significant that a lot of the championship clubs that have come down have managed promotion the following season because of the better players.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Betelgeuse wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:01 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:49 pm

There are some gems to be found at lower level but if you look at most of the clubs that have been promoted since we've been in this division their players have been better than ours. Which costs money. Not in every case but the majority. It's significant that a lot of the championship clubs that have come down have managed promotion the following season because of the better players.
The majority of teams that have beaten us this season I would assume have spent less than we have. It's not just about spending money blindly but making sure you bring the right players in. We've spent money and bought players in just for the sake of it and they've turned out crap.

Is there a breakdown on a club by club basis on what they've spent in the last few transfer windows? Would make good reading and put this argument to bed one way or another. I can't imagine many teams are regularly paying transfer fees like the 2m we did on Marquis.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

Check lout how much Peterboro and Hull spent. They got promoted.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Betelgeuse wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:35 pm Check lout how much Peterboro and Hull spent. They got promoted.
Peterborough pocketed £6.5m for Toney, with a further £3.5m arriving in add-ons - so they could afford to splash out. And Hull had a good base to begin with.

We aren't quite breaking even. Even less so, this year.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

I know, but to imply that we can get promoted without spending any money isn't likely. And didn't we sell Matt Clarke and Jamal Lowe 2 seasons ago??

We bought Marquis for £1m, Harness was about £750k, and I'm struggling to think of another significant fee. Obviously there's wages too.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Betelgeuse wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:16 pm I know, but to imply that we can get promoted without spending any money isn't likely. And didn't we sell Matt Clarke and Jamal Lowe 2 seasons ago??

We bought Marquis for £1m, Harness was about £750k, and I'm struggling to think of another significant fee. Obviously there's wages too.

Marquis was 2 million iirc.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

OMG did Harness cost a quarter of a mil.? Another complete waste of money. And before anyone bangs on about KJ again it's Phil Boardman who shares at least as much responsibility for these hopeless signings. So don't expect too much change over the next four years folks, cos the Cowleys are big fans of his.
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

Betelgeuse wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:43 pm
meakinsl wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:34 pm Looking at the teams under new ownership and the teams coming down then with our budget we are going to be looking at play-offs at best - we have just to accept that our natural place is now league 1 unless we uncover some talent and manager that can blend a team of youngsters and loanees, if we had by some fluke managed to go up via the play-offs couldn't see us surviving. Depressing given our past but with the sensible living within our means thats where I think we are, league 1 with the odd adventure into the championship and back.
We need investment in the playing side by the owners. Can't see that happening so we'll remain a league one club for a generation if we're not careful. That and the lack of new stadium will see crowds dwindle over time as people lose interest.
If the owners want to make their asset in to one that's worth a lot of money they need to invest in the team to enable us to gain promotion, and build us a new stadium.
So what you are saying is that you believe that fans will only carrying on supporting the team if we have a new stadium, no stadium means the fans will disappear???
And you say you arwnt on a wind up ??
Yiu do know that there is this thing going round at the moment that means no fans have been allowed at games all season, resulting in the club losing circa 750k a month and yet you are moaning that they haven't built a stadium already and fans will stop supporting because of that.
If I say your name three time will you disappear??