What went wrong Big Mac

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 32 times

What went wrong Big Mac

Post by jam tomorrow »

I realise we need to move on but it was interesting to hear from the inside the reasons why things went wrong. Mac blames inconsistent performances as the problem. This does explain the highs and lows of the season. However he wouldn’t elaborate where these areas where, as he felt it would be unfair.The likes of Lincoln Posh were more consistent not necessarily better teams. Let’s hope the Cowley’s can address this issues and others.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 165 times

Re: What went wrong Big Mac

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I don't think all can have been good in the camp for some reason. There didn't really seem to be all that much togetherness maybe (probably) reading more into it but you had skipper, vice skipper and 'Star player' out on the beers. Was there a division in the camp for some reason?
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

We have a star player?
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

I just wanted to thank JT for opening a new thread. I was getting exhausted with the other one.
I feel we have moved on.
Rocketman
Martin Kuhl
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Rocketman »

"Mac blames inconsistent performances as the problem". That is in the category of "No ****** Sherlock". Doesn't tell us anything, but as others have said, there is/must be some underlying cause. Let's hope the Cowleys (a) know what it is, and (b) sort it once and for ll.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I'm still struggling to come to terms with Jack Whatmough telling us that the team spirit with this current squad is/was the best he has ever been part of. Did anyone really believe him? I certainly didn't.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Selsey Bill wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:19 pm I'm still struggling to come to terms with Jack Whatmough telling us that the team spirit with this current squad is/was the best he has ever been part of. Did anyone really believe him? I certainly didn't.
Unless the other ones he's been a part of were even worse!!
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Selsey Bill wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:19 pm I'm still struggling to come to terms with Jack Whatmough telling us that the team spirit with this current squad is/was the best he has ever been part of. Did anyone really believe him? I certainly didn't.
I'm not sure I'd beleive him his if he told me he was a centre half at times this season.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

Inconsistency means we too often didn’t play well. We all knew that. The real question was why did players regularly play below the standards they are capable of?
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

I think losing 16 games this year probably had something to do with it. I'm amazed we were anywhere near the playoffs with that ratio.

Even Hull and Peterborough losing 11 games each is a bit daft.

A small thing, but I think losing Cameron Pring definitely upset the balance/trust in the defence, and we never recovered. Raggett went back to being shaky, Whatmough lost his head and Rasmussen was never the centre-half we hoped he would be.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I am getting a little irritated by multiple players coming out and telling the press what they thing went wrong. Surely, if the players such as the GK, WIlliams and Close knew what was going wrong then they should have spoken up and held a players only meeting to sort it out.

There is no much gained talking about what was going wrong a few days after the season!

Also, I don't see any of those talking taking responsibility themselves. The implication is, at best, that the issue was widespread throughout the entire squad and at worst smacks of "don't look at me, it was them"

The inherent problem for me is that the defence could not be trusted to keep a clean sheet (certainly after January) and the forward play was dire. Add in that the recruitment team failed to deliver any player other than Johnson at RB who made any meaningful contribution last season and frankly I am surprised that team finished 8th. I was even more surprised at Xmas when that team was top of the league and top scorers.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:05 am I am getting a little irritated by multiple players coming out and telling the press what they thing went wrong. Surely, if the players such as the GK, WIlliams and Close knew what was going wrong then they should have spoken up and held a players only meeting to sort it out.

There is no much gained talking about what was going wrong a few days after the season!
In fairness to the players, they're not. Its supporters groups and the media who want the post-mortem. The quotes are just responses to questions posed to them by the press. They're not picking up the phone and calling The News just to get something off their chest or dodge blame.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 32 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

I think the point about Accy parking the bus in the second half is valid after they scored due to our poor defence, this time Jack was too slow to get the tackle in. However we were not clever or brave enough to break them down we definitely need a target man whether Harrison is the right player to carry out this role is debatable? I think we did try a Harrison/ Marques combo which the Cowleys may try again as I dont think we will give Marquis away as Danny boy seems to like him. There is no doubt our centre backs need sorting out as they have been the weak link this season, and looked vunerable.
Naylor is supposed to give us extra cover at the back which he has failed to do which combined with his poor passing and lack of good captaincy is a big negative. Overall though i think our problem was too many players blew hot and cold Harness was a good example, Curtis is too emotional and temperamental, and none of the forwards including and especially Marquis could'nt control the first time ball.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

jam tomorrow wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:07 pm I think the point about Accy parking the bus in the second half is valid after they scored due to our poor defence, this time Jack was too slow to get the tackle in. However we were not clever or brave enough to break them down we definitely need a target man whether Harrison is the right player to carry out this role is debatable? I think we did try a Harrison/ Marques combo which the Cowleys may try again as I dont think we will give Marquis away as Danny boy seems to like him. There is no doubt our centre backs need sorting out as they have been the weak link this season, and looked vunerable.
Naylor is supposed to give us extra cover at the back which he has failed to do which combined with his poor passing and lack of good captaincy is a big negative. Overall though i think our problem was too many players blew hot and cold Harness was a good example, Curtis is too emotional and temperamental, and none of the forwards including and especially Marquis could'nt control the first time ball.
Interesting points.

Raggett has shown time and again that he needs a stable partner to be able to perform at his highest. The fact that he has variously shared the duties with JW, Rasmus and (I think briefly) Paul Downing, shows that he hasn't had that stability.

Jack, I think, has been poor these last few weeks, and needs to get his head sorted. Two straight reds since Christmas (I believe I'm right in saying that) is not acceptable at any level.

Rasmus Nicolaisen has been a major disappointment, something I've been saying since I first saw him. It's no wonder he wasn't even on the bench on Sunday.

Paul Downing, on the other hand, seems rejuvenated under the Cowleys. I thought he was desparately unlucky to be subbed, though I understand the "what" and the "why" about it. It'll be interesting to see how he performs next season.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Dsection
Collins Mbesuma
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Dsection »

“this time Jack was too slow to get the tackle in. “

How about the fact that he let their player walk, fkin walk, past him and left him to control the pass sort his feet out n shoot before the token lunge!!!

Get rid of the lot of em and start again I would rather wait a couple of years for a new squad to gel than watch any of them pull on a Pompey shirt again!