England v Czech Republic

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

England v Czech Republic

Post by New Forester »

Win or draw?
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: England v Czech Republic

Post by Pompey Penguin »

...or lose. I'm pretty sure it's going to be one of those three.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

I'm with you PP...difficult decision but reckon we will be proven correct!! 8)
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Now let's be sensible because NF posed a perfectly good question which deserves a proper response.

Of course it all depends on the team GS puts out..will he select a defensive or attacking team? I reckon GS is very similar to KJ in his thinking...too defensive and no plan B...so, think he will pick almost same starting 11 as last game perhaps with the exclusion of Kane, using Rashford.

I'm going for 1-1. 8)
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

We need to draw. A win would mean us meeting France Germany or Portugal in the Round of 16. As things stand, if we draw we would meet Slovakia in the next round.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

eltorrro wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:05 am Now let's be sensible ...
If we must.

Given that England aren't chasing a result here, and CR aren't that great a team, it must be tempting to go for some team changes. It can always be justified by saying that it is important to keep "reserves" sharp as they will probably be needed at some point. See if Maguire and Henderson are fit; play Trippier at RFB; give Calvert-Lewin and Grealish a chance. Unfortunately, I am afraid that Southgate will just go for the same again, we will win by an odd goal and not be any better off as we will be largely committed to that team for the KO stages where we will go out to whoever is 2nd in Group F (almost certainly Germany, France or Portugal).

This tournament reminds me of the World Cups of 1986 and 1990 where we were poor in the group stages, and then Bobby Robson was forced to change the team radically, we suddenly played well and were unlucky not to go further. Could the same happen in 2021?
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

Outcomes are impossible to predict. England are good enough to win this. But as usual it’s what happens on the day. Who plays well and who gets the luck. There are no easy matches. I want us to win. And then we can beat anyone before losing to an unfashionable team later on. It’s football.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

New Forester wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:09 pm Outcomes are impossible to predict. England are good enough to win this. But as usual it’s what happens on the day. Who plays well and who gets the luck. There are no easy matches. I want us to win. And then we can beat anyone before losing to an unfashionable team later on. It’s football.
I agree. Try to get clever and we are likely to mess up big time. We have a strong squad so maybe rest a couple of players and go all out for the win. Then try to beat whoever comes up against us. Let other teams worry about us rather than us being negative. In fact do exactly what I hope Pompey will do next season and attack with energy and a positive attitude.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I would love to see Sancho, Foden & Rashford unleashed as an attacking front 3 with orders to drive forward and attack. Being told to make as much of a nuisance of themselves as possible. Behind them I would like to see Mount & Grealish supplying the ammunition. A back 4 with orders foremost to defend with Rice patrolling in front of them. That won't happen of course because Mr Southgate shares the same philosophy as Mr Jackett. What I think will be a real tragedy is that the best crop of young English players will not get called on to showcase their undoubted skills.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Draw.

That's what Southgate wants, so we avoid France/Germany/Portugal.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Keeprblue
Paul Merson

Post by Keeprblue »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:48 am
If we must.

Given that England aren't chasing a result here, and CR aren't that great a team, it must be tempting to go for some team changes. It can always be justified by saying that it is important to keep "reserves" sharp as they will probably be needed at some point. See if Maguire and Henderson are fit; play Trippier at RFB; give Calvert-Lewin and Grealish a chance. Unfortunately, I am afraid that Southgate will just go for the same again, we will win by an odd goal and not be any better off as we will be largely committed to that team for the KO stages where we will go out to whoever is 2nd in Group F (almost certainly Germany, France or Portugal).

This tournament reminds me of the World Cups of 1986 and 1990 where we were poor in the group stages, and then Bobby Robson was forced to change the team radically, we suddenly played well and were unlucky not to go further. Could the same happen in 2021?
Didn't Alf Ramsey play his best team throughout the tournament in 66 with no substitutes, or have I forgotten something?
Laughing for exercise, it's like jogging on the inside.
past memories
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 2 times

Post by past memories »

Keeprblue wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:09 pm
Pompey Penguin wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:48 am
If we must.

Didn't Alf Ramsey play his best team throughout the tournament in 66 with no substitutes, or have I forgotten something?
Up until an injury took out Jimmy Greaves.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Keeprblue wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:09 pm Didn't Alf Ramsey play his best team throughout the tournament in 66 with no substitutes, or have I forgotten something?
Jimmy Greaves, John Connolly, Ian Callaghan and Terry Paine all played in group games.

Of course, you are right in saying there were no substitutes within games as they were not allowed in World Cups until 1970.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Even if we wanted a contrived result it is not really possible. For a start it would be morally wrong as in the true spirit of sport and all sides have go for the win. All sides in the group could conceivably end up finishing with 4 points depending on how both games go. Obviously I don't mean all 4 teams finishing on the same points. If England lose that would leave us with 4 points which is the same as a Scotland or a Croatia win. Playing for a draw is very risky as that could see us ending in third place with a last minute goal against. Looking for an easier route to navigate through the knockout stage is a defeatist way of thinking.
Huntski
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Huntski »

England 1 up, jocks losing to Croatia, no doubt they'll still be celebrating their 'win' against England..... despite exiting the tournament by finishing bottom of the group.
Remember, excuses are like A-holes, everyone has got one.