Chelsea U23s

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Chelsea U23s

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

0-0 HT
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Re: Chelsea U23s

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Lost 2-0
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Pity about the two late goals, but it is more minutes into the legs of the current second strings.
Northstander
Gary O'Neil

Post by Northstander »

We fielded a team awash with Trialists according to the Snooze. Only 3 under contract players mentioned at Chobham. Bazanu, Mnoga and encouragingly Jacobs who got around an hour in. Just 2 fit recognised central defenders at the moment, Pompey are down to the bare bones as 'Arry would have said.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

But Arry would have bought another 10 players by now, not played half of them just let them sit in the reserves on big wages
Northstander
Gary O'Neil

Post by Northstander »

Merse tells the story he told 'Arry "you can't afford me" when 'Arry rang to say he wanted him. "I'll sort that" said 'Arry and we know the rest of the story.
Rick Pumpkin
Alan Biley

Post by Rick Pumpkin »

Northstander wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:13 pm We fielded a team awash with Trialists according to the Snooze. Only 3 under contract players mentioned at Chobham. Bazanu, Mnoga and encouragingly Jacobs who got around an hour in. Just 2 fit recognised central defenders at the moment, Pompey are down to the bare bones as 'Arry would have said.
Harrison and Hackett-Fairchild both played as well, with the former missing a good opportunity apparently. There's a thing.
Northstander
Gary O'Neil

Post by Northstander »

Ok tks the report I read didnt mention them
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Ex-Man U and Shrewsbury midfielder Sean Goss looked good apparently. Not necessarily the creative option we are looking for in midfield but with Jacobs coming back he could be a useful addition to a threadbare area of the squad.
Daniel
Martin Kuhl

Post by Daniel »

I’m surprised we havnt signed goss up played a good amount in league one last season not probably first choice but we need some numbers in now
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Daniel wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:07 pm I’m surprised we havnt signed goss up played a good amount in league one last season not probably first choice but we need some numbers in now
It's getting to that point. We are going to need to sign some solid L1 reserves to ensure that we have cover and aren't forced to play some players in every game. If a top player becomes available, all well and good, but we cannot hang around for many more weeks relying on that strategy.
WJDPFC
Robbie Pethick

Post by WJDPFC »

Agree, Goss might be a solid addition and would think his wages would not be too high. Was expecting to see White from Tottenham re-join on loan but not much mentioned of him recently. Would like to see Thompson return but if the Eisners are not willing to support his wages, not much chance I guess. What about Ravel Morrison? I read that he is out of contract and was recently at Derby on trial but do not think he was offered a contract. He is 28 or 29 so not too old and in no position to ask for unreasonable wages. Worth consideration?
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

WJDPFC wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:33 pm Agree, Goss might be a solid addition and would think his wages would not be too high. Was expecting to see White from Tottenham re-join on loan but not much mentioned of him recently. Would like to see Thompson return but if the Eisners are not willing to support his wages, not much chance I guess. What about Ravel Morrison? I read that he is out of contract and was recently at Derby on trial but do not think he was offered a contract. He is 28 or 29 so not too old and in no position to ask for unreasonable wages. Worth consideration?
Ravel Morrison is probably as far away from a Cowley type character you can get, even if we could afford to pay his wages.
Daniel
Martin Kuhl

Post by Daniel »

I think we will get to the point we’re we will have to up the wage budget even ever so slightly.

We need 6/7 players I’d imagine we have about 25k a week wage budget left. (A rough guess) so just over 4K a week on 6 players

That’s the problem you can’t use 10k of that on Thompson.

Raise the budget to 35k a week say then we would straight away increase the quality of player we would attract
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

DC appears to be holding his nerve on signings at least for the moment, and maybe we need to have trust that he knows what he is doing, and also hope that we don't pick up injuries in the first few games, which could leave us very short.

Hopefully some more new faces will appear before the start of the season, but this is Pompey and things are never easy!