Cook pulling power

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 50 times

Re: Cook pulling power

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Rick Pumpkin wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:38 am I see that Cook is now targeting Chaplin for Ipswich.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... gn-chaplin
if you look at the bottom of the article, there is some replies from Ipswich supporters, some being very underwhelmed, with one claiming they need to get it done as he would be a real marquee signing !

Article claims he was a regular under cook at Pompey, memory is not great but I don't remember him playing that regularly
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Edmondson also due to sign for them £1 million has been quoted they are going to be a hard team to beat this season with the quality they have brought in and are bringing in.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:28 am Article claims he was a regular under cook at Pompey, memory is not great but I don't remember him playing that regularly
Over the two years of Cook as manager, Chaplin made 19 league starts + 50 sub appearances, so you could say he was a regular as he played in 3/4 of league games, but clearly not first choice.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Take all the nostalgia out of it his time here wasn't as productive as you would want from a centre forward.

Seems to have split the Barnsley fans too.

http://barnsleyfc.org.uk/threads/chaplin.306526/
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I always got the feeling that Cook didn't really fancy Chaplin when they were both with us. I remember travelling up to the DW Stadium for our first away game against Wigan whilst Cook was manager. They absolutely battered us and should have been about 5 nil up by half time, but were leading 1-0 through an early Ivan Toney goal. The significant moment in the game for me was when Chaplin scored the equaliser - it just felt like two fingers up to Cookie!
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Was thinking not only are Town splashing the dosh on signings they will have an enormous wage bill to sustain
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I would be very surprised if Chaplin decided to join up with Paul Cook again. I think his career faltered under him at Fratton Park because of the way Cook wanted his team to play. I was not a fan of Cook & his style of play which was based on possession football playing with just one striker. Sometimes it was easy on the eye but most of the time utterly boring watching the team passing just to retain the ball. He tried to make Chaplin a lone striker but he is not built for that type of game. I always thought that Chaplin was a wasted talent by not playing him in a strike partnership. I understand that Cook has changed his preferred style to a more attacking game, which might well explain his interest in Chaplin. Nevertheless, I will still be surprised if Chaplin joins Ipswich with what he had to put up with Cook at Portsmouth. :twisted:
Northstander
Gary O'Neil

Post by Northstander »

Edmundson has signed for Ipswich for an undisclosed fee
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Chaplin too.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Personally I don't buy this "Cook pulling power" idea. Ipswich are spending relatively big money, which means players will perceive it could be a club on the up, but more importantly they'll be attracted by the money on offer - regardless of who the manager is.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:31 pm Personally I don't buy this "Cook pulling power" idea. Ipswich are spending relatively big money, which means players will perceive it could be a club on the up, but more importantly they'll be attracted by the money on offer - regardless of who the manager is.
Yeah, and not to mention I misread the title of this thread at first as C0ck pulling power
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

It would be interesting to just where we are in the 'spending league table'. The perception seems to be that we are the poor relations of League 1, but is this really a true reflection? Ipswich certainly seem to be spending the money but other than that I am not not aware of any other League 1 side spending big bucks. I stand to be corrected,of course, but I haven't seen any other side keeping up with the tractor boys. I know some people seem to think we have been 'gazzumpt' by the likes of Milton Keynes, for instance, but were we really chasing the same players? Charlton seemed to have beaten us to sign Stockley but I wonder whether he was really ever thinking of coming here after his successful loan last season. The fact we were going to pay sizeable fee for him showed that money was available. I suppose we won't know the answer to this until the window closes but I think we will be getting players that will cost fees. I think that we will have to because the squad we have at the moment is far from a challenging team. In fact as things are we have a squad that will struggle towards the bottom end. I am sure that by the time the season starts we will have a more competitive team, at least I hope so.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Blue Walter wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:49 pm I would be very surprised if Chaplin decided to join up with Paul Cook again. I think his career faltered under him at Fratton Park because of the way Cook wanted his team to play. I was not a fan of Cook & his style of play which was based on possession football playing with just one striker. Sometimes it was easy on the eye but most of the time utterly boring watching the team passing just to retain the ball. He tried to make Chaplin a lone striker but he is not built for that type of game. I always thought that Chaplin was a wasted talent by not playing him in a strike partnership. I understand that Cook has changed his preferred style to a more attacking game, which might well explain his interest in Chaplin. Nevertheless, I will still be surprised if Chaplin joins Ipswich with what he had to put up with Cook at Portsmouth. :twisted:
Did I read that he's been playing as more of a winger at Barnsley? If so, maybe that's what Cook wants.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Apparently Danny is upset that Town have signed Edmundson instead of coming to an arranged meeting at FP on Tuesday but it appears we were only looking for a loan where as Town paid for him. So can understand why they got their man not sure if we are going to spend any money this window, which will put us at a disadvantage if that’s the case?
-- Diane Johnson
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:48 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:49 pm I would be very surprised if Chaplin decided to join up with Paul Cook again. I think his career faltered under him at Fratton Park because of the way Cook wanted his team to play. I was not a fan of Cook & his style of play which was based on possession football playing with just one striker. Sometimes it was easy on the eye but most of the time utterly boring watching the team passing just to retain the ball. He tried to make Chaplin a lone striker but he is not built for that type of game. I always thought that Chaplin was a wasted talent by not playing him in a strike partnership. I understand that Cook has changed his preferred style to a more attacking game, which might well explain his interest in Chaplin. Nevertheless, I will still be surprised if Chaplin joins Ipswich with what he had to put up with Cook at Portsmouth. :twisted:
Did I read that he's been playing as more of a winger at Barnsley? If so, maybe that's what Cook wants.
I have been told by a Wigan supporter that he started to play with two up front. Which is a bit annoying because that's what many supporters here wanted him to do. I personally thought that had he adopted a more offensive approach to go with his possession game we could have gone up a season earlier.