The word association thread...

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: The word association thread...

Post by Selsey Bill »

Betelgeuse wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:08 am Can it be moved to another section as it has absolutely nothing to do with Pompey?
Is there a section for games??
Couldn't agree more, as suggested in my post earlier in this thread: "Personally, I'd rather it was moved off the 'Pompey General Chat' and given it's own heading, like the La La League, etc."
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

I rarely contribute to it but when it’s quiet it shows some of us are still alive. I suspect if moved it will see much less action. I’d leave things as they are.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
blue architect
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by blue architect »

Betelgeuse wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:08 am Can it be moved to another section as it has absolutely nothing to do with Pompey?
Yes indeed. Let's put everything that is not totally on topic into a separate bin, shall we? And you can be the monitor for this. Perhaps change your name to Betelgeuse Monitor Police. (for the record I am saying this tongue in cheek - joking, though I am serious about this next bit)
Seriously the Word Association thread is just harmless fun. It hurts nobody, there is no malice involved. It keeps this community ticking along when there are no other posts. In its way, it stops this board from stagnating. There have been many off-topic threads that have helped to enliven discussion, or assist posters with problems, to some these have been a welcome diversion away from general boredom. Each has naturally reached the end of its relevance, however, the Word Association thread has continued as it remains relevant.
It may annoy you and I would ask you politely to put that annoyance to one side. Please post more Pompey-related threads. If there are loads more interesting topics to participate in then the relevance of the Word Association thread will wane and then drop off the first screen. This happened before when there were many more Pompey-related threads and could happen again.
To relegate it to a sub-page is not the answer.
THE TRICORN - BRUTAL ARCHITECTURE
itsaintfunny
Mick Channon
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by itsaintfunny »

The Pompey General Chat section says something like please keep it reasonable/ clean Pompey related or not.
Check the board index under general page.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Perhaps we could retire it on its tenth birthday.
We could give it a little send off. Maybe a bugle player could be brought in for a rendition of The Last Post and we could all remember how exciting it got in its heyday when Jacketball was the alternative.
blue architect
Kev the Kitman

Post by blue architect »

Would love to see it compulsory for all posters to post at least one word each week on the Word Association thread, but with enhanced rules and penalties.
The new rule is that each word used could never be repeated and your association with the previous word has to be explained if challenged.
The penalty being electric shock treatment if you inadvertently repeated a word or failed to explain the association sufficiently to satisfy the mods.
That would relieve any boredom :thumb
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:42 pm
The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:48 pm Ive contributed a couple of times in my alternate Donald J Trump id for humor purposes.
Wait, what???? That was you?

I thought it was the real Donald. It had his picture an' everyfink.
Sorry for the deception....I've been carrying the guilt around for a while and needed to confess.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Donald J Trump
Martin Kuhl

Post by Donald J Trump »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:26 pm
The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:48 pm Ive contributed a couple of times in my alternate Donald J Trump id for humor purposes.

Sorry for the deception....I've been carrying the guilt around for a while and needed to confess.
Dont listen to him...he's probably lying and urrrmmm it errr well somethingy.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Make America Great Again
blue architect
Kev the Kitman

Post by blue architect »

Sleepy Joe Biden wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:28 pm
The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:26 pm

Dont listen to him...he's probably lying and urrrmmm it errr well somethingy.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Dear Sleepy Joe, being an avid conspiracy theorist I note that your avatar is of the previous incumbent. Are you Donald in disguise?
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

blue architect wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:34 pm
Yes indeed. Let's put everything that is not totally on topic into a separate bin, shall we? And you can be the monitor for this. Perhaps change your name to Betelgeuse Monitor Police. (for the record I am saying this tongue in cheek - joking, though I am serious about this next bit)
Seriously the Word Association thread is just harmless fun. It hurts nobody, there is no malice involved. It keeps this community ticking along when there are no other posts. In its way, it stops this board from stagnating. There have been many off-topic threads that have helped to enliven discussion, or assist posters with problems, to some these have been a welcome diversion away from general boredom. Each has naturally reached the end of its relevance, however, the Word Association thread has continued as it remains relevant.
It may annoy you and I would ask you politely to put that annoyance to one side. Please post more Pompey-related threads. If there are loads more interesting topics to participate in then the relevance of the Word Association thread will wane and then drop off the first screen. This happened before when there were many more Pompey-related threads and could happen again.
Fair point! :)
I suppose the bother Pompey boards I've been on have been a lot busier than this one. Maybe they have more members.
blue architect
Kev the Kitman

Post by blue architect »

Betelgeuse wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:46 am
blue architect wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:34 pm
Fair point! :)
I suppose the bother Pompey boards I've been on have been a lot busier than this one. Maybe they have more members.
:thumb I too use other forums for Pompey only related topics. Some though just get a bit angry and opinionated compared to this backwater of considered opinion from learned fellows :rofl
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Cancel culture. Isn't that a bit woke? :lol: