Danny Cowley sends Marquis a message

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Danny Cowley sends Marquis a message

Post by eltorrro »

'Danny Cowley sends John Marquis message after Portsmouth’s draw at Charlton Athletic
Portsmouth striker John Marquis had two glorious chances to score during the draw with Charlton Athletic, but failed to do so in the 2-2 draw and he is now seven games without a goal'..Hampshirelive.news

....the second word was 'OFF' ... anybody guess what the first word was!!! 8)
jabba monkey
Martin Kuhl
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Danny Cowley sends Marquis a message

Post by jabba monkey »

Marquis is our best option at the minute, his work rate is better than all other options - which has a big impact on team when you are trying to play high press.

also I just read an article where guy whittingham gives his opinion, he sees an improvement from last season, maybe he’ll come good at some point now he’s being fed proper chances.

Only time will tell.

In the mean time, just look at Marquis as a poor man’s benjani 😊
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 181 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Marquis has scored 1 goal in 10 games. Appalling for a striker. Do we actually have a striker coach?
The other problem is he has no competition other than Harrison. I really can't see the point of the loan striker signings, Hirst is dire.

Also Williams is complete cack, play Thompson instead. Cost us another goal yesterday by not tracking the scorer for the 2nd equaliser.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by New Forester »

How about a bit of praise for the brilliant lay off that enabled Harness to score his goal?
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 388 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

I think it is abundantly clear that there are some in here who will never change their negative views on Marquis. This is not intended as a moan, we are all allowed our own views, however would contractive criticism be a better approach towards a player who is clearly a confidence player?

I agree that his work-rate is up there with our most hard-working players and he does have goals in him as he as proven in the past. I think he will come good.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 181 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

GreenBlue wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:26 am I think it is abundantly clear that there are some in here who will never change their negative views on Marquis. This is not intended as a moan, we are all allowed our own views, however would contractive criticism be a better approach towards a player who is clearly a confidence player?

I agree that his work-rate is up there with our most hard-working players and he does have goals in him as he as proven in the past. I think he will come good.
Basically if my job as a striker was to score goals and I'd missed as many easy chances as he had I'd expect criticism. But it was an excellent lay off I'll admit.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Marquis training ground routine should be.....first touch, first touch first touch.
He may not have much talent but I don't believe that you can't teach a player technique.
WJDPFC
Robbie Pethick

Post by WJDPFC »

Agree Marquis has missed an awful lot of very good chances this season but his previous goal scoring record suggests he is a decent forward. Confidence is critical for a striker and clearly his is very low, However, he has continued to run hard at other teams, defending from the front and has also been getting into the right areas, even though, sadly, not putting the ball away.
I reference an earlier comment of 'Benjani'. If we give Marquis half the support we used to give Benjani when he could not find the net, I believe we could jus restore that Marquis confidence. So, lets stop hounding the guy because, like it or not, he is our best striker.
Kingo
Robbie Pethick
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Kingo »

But it's more than the finishing. He too often makes the wrong run, or the right run at the wrong time. Often shuts his own space down. I'm not sure you can teach that, you either have the instinct to be in the right place at the right time or you don't.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by New Forester »

Like I mentioned in another post. Just imagine doing your job with people watching closely everything you do. I guess the best bet as far as sport goes would be not to play a team sport and to not represent anyone but yourself.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Betelgeuse wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:13 am Marquis has scored 1 goal in 10 games. Appalling for a striker. Do we actually have a striker coach?
The other problem is he has no competition other than Harrison. I really can't see the point of the loan striker signings, Hirst is dire.

Also Williams is complete cack, play Thompson instead. Cost us another goal yesterday by not tracking the scorer for the 2nd equaliser.
Certainly wouldn't play Thompson @ CH which is where Williams is playing atm isn't he? Just saying loike.
Agree with others saying get behind Marquis, clearly his confidence is low atm. But he remains our best bet up top & he works like a Trojan.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Bloke just needs a few goals. I'd have played him against Basingstoke...
Huntski
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Huntski »

Out of interest what was Benjamin's goal ratio like? IIRC most of us rated his work rate, which it sounds like Marquis also has too, the main difference is the team around Benjani to Marquis was on a whole different level.
Remember, excuses are like A-holes, everyone has got one.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Benjani career ratio: 1: 4.4578313
(roughly)
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 388 times
Been liked: 61 times