Danny Cowley Portsmouth FC career update

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: Danny Cowley Portsmouth FC career update

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Pompey55 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:10 pm But yet again it’s loans not loans with option to buy. Short term fixes again not a long term transitional plan.
In the summer 4 loans 2 gone I’m discounting Bazunu as that’s an issue that divides this forum and the jury is still out regarding Hirst so let’s wait until the end of the window as now his only options will not include more loans.
I’d like us to try and turn Romeo to a contract player then opens up another loan.
I would also suggest that Freeman and Williams have hardly set the place on fire so it’s hit and miss with his record on recruitment in my view
how do you know its not a long term plan, we needed a decent striker and to offload Marquis and Harrison, those 2 are gone, Walker has good things said about him so we will see, Hirst has shown he can do it, just needs consistency. If getting those 2 in till the end of the season when we can buy a good striker, because lets face it, any good strikers do not get sole in the January window, then it is a good long term plan. we have no idea if they are working behind the scenes doing deals for the summer, be that transfers or free transfers, they have been very good at keeping things quiet until they happen.
You only have to look at the snooze for all the complete non stories they print on players we are linked with that have absolutely no truth in them.
people keep asking what a transition season is, well its exactly that, moving from one thing to another, from marquis to another striker, but that other striker may not be available until the summer
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:19 pm I think it is a question of the silent majority who support the Cowleys. It seems to be the noisy newer posters that have a down on most things including the Cowleys. I think they are doing a better job of it than their predecessor. This transfer window clearly illustrates that. They have got rid of the dead wood and are clearly being very careful with the recruitment. Pompey are within striking distance of the `Play Offs` in a transition season. Life is not perfect and I think they are doing a good job in difficult circumstances.
You can't have any negativity on this board, oh no. Sssshhhh, don't wake us "oldies" up. :wink:
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:19 pm I think it is a question of the silent majority who support the Cowleys. It seems to be the noisy newer posters that have a down on most things including the Cowleys. I think they are doing a better job of it than their predecessor. This transfer window clearly illustrates that. They have got rid of the dead wood and are clearly being very careful with the recruitment. Pompey are within striking distance of the `Play Offs` in a transition season. Life is not perfect and I think they are doing a good job in difficult circumstances.
I think EVERYONE is entitled to a opinion.
The rest of what you say though is bang on the money. Hamstrung for half a season by legacy players, i'll judge them next season. But this is a transition, nothing more nothing less.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I agree with the view that DC inherited a squad from KC that was largely in need of a major overhaul, had key players you'd want to retain out of contract and thinking we've been at Pompey for x number of years and perhaps I don't want to take the pay cut they are offering and its time to move on, and was hamstrung in the goal scoring and creation department by legacy players on large contracts that were eating massively into the playing budget DC had.

I can also accept that Williams and Freeman might not have set the world alight in the first half of the season.

I do think though that DC has brought in a better quality of player and is committed to the high intensity (press) / attacking football most want to see Pompey playing. I don't read complaints on this board or elsewhere that DC's signings of Bazunu, Robertson, Oglivie & Morrell have been disappointing in terms of skill and commitment to Pompey's cause! Indeed the opposite is true so DC deserves credit for identifying and bringing in those players. Three of those four players are permanent signings too so I have to balance that off when also having a concern about relying on five loan players in the starting xi that presumably we can't rely upon when building for next season.

I am also encouraged about the number of clean sheets that the team is able to achieve. This demonstrates a solid foundation is being built and that is my largest take away from the season so far. Solid foundation but the blue touch paper has not been lit yet. There is still time and I am more than willing to give DC the time to get it right. There is much to be optimistic about in terms of his assessment of players if you look closely and the old adage is also true of whom would you have as our manager instead of DC that would realistically come and manager Pompey in League 1?

We all want success but lets not ignore the progress the club is making on the field just because we want the success now!
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

If you look at what the Cowley's have achieved it's all been at below league one level. They haven't taken a side from league one into the playoffs. I think we sell ourselves short if we think we wouldn't attract a better calibre of manager. But it comes down to what you're prepared to pay, and it's easily the most important position at the football club so we should be paying top wages to attract the best we can. But I don't think our owners will do that.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:05 am I agree with the view that DC inherited a squad from KC that was largely in need of a major overhaul, had key players you'd want to retain out of contract and thinking we've been at Pompey for x number of years and perhaps I don't want to take the pay cut they are offering and its time to move on, and was hamstrung in the goal scoring and creation department by legacy players on large contracts that were eating massively into the playing budget DC had.

I can also accept that Williams and Freeman might not have set the world alight in the first half of the season.

I do think though that DC has brought in a better quality of player and is committed to the high intensity (press) / attacking football most want to see Pompey playing. I don't read complaints on this board or elsewhere that DC's signings of Bazunu, Robertson, Oglivie & Morrell have been disappointing in terms of skill and commitment to Pompey's cause! Indeed the opposite is true so DC deserves credit for identifying and bringing in those players. Three of those four players are permanent signings too so I have to balance that off when also having a concern about relying on five loan players in the starting xi that presumably we can't rely upon when building for next season.

I am also encouraged about the number of clean sheets that the team is able to achieve. This demonstrates a solid foundation is being built and that is my largest take away from the season so far. Solid foundation but the blue touch paper has not been lit yet. There is still time and I am more than willing to give DC the time to get it right. There is much to be optimistic about in terms of his assessment of players if you look closely and the old adage is also true of whom would you have as our manager instead of DC that would realistically come and manager Pompey in League 1?

We all want success but lets not ignore the progress the club is making on the field just because we want the success now!
After nearly 5 years in this division we can hardly be accused of wanting success now!!
Daniel
Martin Kuhl

Post by Daniel »

Cowleys have been successful every where they have been.

That includes Huddersfield, they were screwed before the cowleys came in.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:05 am I agree with the view that DC inherited a squad from KC that was largely in need of a major overhaul, had key players you'd want to retain out of contract and thinking we've been at Pompey for x number of years and perhaps I don't want to take the pay cut they are offering and its time to move on, and was hamstrung in the goal scoring and creation department by legacy players on large contracts that were eating massively into the playing budget DC had.

I agree with you that he has brought in some good players. This league would not normally see the likes of Bazuna playing at this level, for instance. I think he could perform at the top level now. What would create more credit for DC would be if he could bring players in that were good at this level on full contracts. Players that would be the future of this club and blended into the team going forward. Players that were not just passing through but players that fitted in to this so called transition period. That’s where the real skill lays. I think half the work is done when a player is playing at a higher level and is either surplus to requirements at a club or one that is making a name for himself and needs to be playing. A player capable of playing at Premiership or Championship level will be good enough for League 1 level. Picking out a player from a lower league or around our own level and then making a success of them is the real deal.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Blue Walter wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:14 pm

I agree with you that he has brought in some good players. This league would not normally see the likes of Bazuna playing at this level, for instance. I think he could perform at the top level now. What would create more credit for DC would be if he could bring players in that were good at this level on full contracts. Players that would be the future of this club and blended into the team going forward. Players that were not just passing through but players that fitted in to this so called transition period. That’s where the real skill lays. I think half the work is done when a player is playing at a higher level and is either surplus to requirements at a club or one that is making a name for himself and needs to be playing. A player capable of playing at Premiership or Championship level will be good enough for League 1 level. Picking out a player from a lower league or around our own level and then making a success of them is the real deal.
we are a league one club on a budget, you arent going to be able to buy and pay the likes of Bazunu and Romeo at the moment, as crap as that is, it is the reality. who knows at the end of the season, we might be able to do some sort of deal with romeo, if he will take a pay cut and millwall will let him go for nothing or a small fee, but right now permanent is not going to happen for players like that
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:52 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:14 pm

we are a league one club on a budget, you arent going to be able to buy and pay the likes of Bazunu and Romeo at the moment, as crap as that is, it is the reality. who knows at the end of the season, we might be able to do some sort of deal with romeo, if he will take a pay cut and millwall will let him go for nothing or a small fee, but right now permanent is not going to happen for players like that
With all due respect you are stating the obvious and I am fully aware players of the calibre of Bazuna are beyond any club in this league, and most of the Championship, and I have acknowledged that. The point I am making is that in the case of the goalkeeper we already had a suitable player at the club that is able to perform at this level. If you are saying we are on limited funds then the funds allocated for Bazunu would have been better used elsewhere where we needed reinforcing. We are supposed to be building a squad that is going to play in the way the Cowley's want. Not making ourselves available to bring on players for the benefit of higher placed clubs. If we are going to loan players, which I agree we have to at some point, it has to be for our benefit as well. I rather hope this is a case in point with Romeo and we end up signing him permanently.
Daniel
Martin Kuhl

Post by Daniel »

Remember Blackpool got promoted on loans and frees last season
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Daniel wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:16 pm Remember Blackpool got promoted on loans and frees last season
Obviously had a manager with better judgment regarding getting them in to the squad :D
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Daniel wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:16 pm Remember Blackpool got promoted on loans and frees last season
Yes they did have a lot of loans. I would have thought that you could build a decent side using loan players. I would also think that it is relatively easier than scouting players who haven't got the pedigree of players from higher levels. But unless these loan players are, in the main, going to stay at the club they are just passing through. If you are saying this is what our club should do then you would also have to say we are not a club in transition. From what I understand what Danny Cowley was saying this is not what the club was aiming to do. He said the club was going to sign players that would deliver this 'fast attacking football' and the squad was in transition. Loaning players to bolster out the team is not transition as the loan players in the main will return to their parent clubs. Transition means getting the players out of the club that the manager feels are not able to deliver and replace them with those that can.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

The only loanee who stayed with Blackpool was from Arsenal and he’s on another loan the majority of the others were from Premier League teams in the north west so they act as an academy for higher league clubs not what I want for Portsmouth
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

What is ambition (and indeed the point of football) if it's not going for promotion? And if the best chance of doing that is having players on loan then so be it.