Danny Cowley Portsmouth FC career update

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 134 times

Re: Danny Cowley Portsmouth FC career update

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:58 pm What is ambition (and indeed the point of football) if it's not going for promotion? And if the best chance of doing that is having players on loan then so be it.
I’d agree but would suggest the loans signed so far have hardly put us in a promotion position at the moment I would say only Romeo has had any real impact to date and only Walker could possibly help push us to a play off place
Hardly a a massive improvement on last season when we were one match away from the play offs and previous seasons when were in the play offs with less reliance on loanees
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

According to Cowley apparently Marquis went because “the fans had lost faith in him”. Not sure I like that. Just admit he didn’t fit the system and has been playing crap for too long.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

That’s not right in any way whatsoever I’ve rarely seen or heard fans getting on Maquis’ back in fact quite the opposite when he scored got substituted or came on. We mainly do not hammer our players for the shortcomings of the manager
Bottom line was that he never stood a chance with the tactics employed by Jackett or Cowley to justify his fee
Maybe if we get in Cowleys back he might sod off
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:22 pm That’s not right in any way whatsoever I’ve rarely seen or heard fans getting on Maquis’ back in fact quite the opposite when he scored got substituted or came on. We mainly do not hammer our players for the shortcomings of the manager
Bottom line was that he never stood a chance with the tactics employed by Jackett or Cowley to justify his fee
Maybe if we get in Cowleys back he might sod off
Possibly he means people online. Many Pompey forums has been very negative towards Marquis for some time.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

That’s the problem is it not to me what happens on the field and in the stands still matter in football not what happens online or am just an old dinosaur in this world of keyboard warriors
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I found that rather an odd statement from Danny Cowley concerning Marquis. I wouldn't know what sort of abuse, if any or how much, Marquis received on line. Do people in his position really read it or take much notice of it? It seems to me that Cowley is actually trying to distance himself away from the decision to get him out of the club. Furthermore I give much of the blame for Marquis's ineffectiveness to Cowley himself & Jackett before him. My opinion is that the negative tactics employed by Jackett and the failure by both managers to bring in players to make the sort of chances players like Marquis thrive on. In this respect I think Jackett was more culpable and it's a mystery why he bought him in the first place. Cowley has also failed to bring in a playing system that creates goal scoring chances. I think Marquis will thrive at Lincoln because they employ a system using three up front of which two are out & out strikers, a bit like Cowley reckons Pompey are in transition to. Lincoln supporters are really excited by this transfer and see it as a statement of intent signing.
Melbourne Graham
Collins Mbesuma
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Melbourne Graham »

I think the news ran a poll recently about who the fans wanted to stay or go, the bottom 5 names have all left, that included Marquis who was 5th least wanted player, others were Downing, Harrison, Azeez and Ahadme . That could be seen as the club listening to the fans or maybe were all on the same page !!!!!!
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

if you imagine these scenarios

ball comes into the box, striker gets onto the ball and the shot is tame limp bobble through to the keeper, the crowd noise has risen but ends in a collective sigh of disappointment and resignation that the striker has fluffed his lines yet again, ringing long in that strikers ears

the team is losing and the manager takes off the new young striker that has ousted the old striker from the starting line up, and replaces him with that old striker, the crowd, not happy that he is changing like for like, not taking off a defender or midfielder and leaving the striker on start to boo the decision. That old striker stood on the touchline waiting to come on just hears boos, he knows not that it is towards the managers decision, but if you are down on confidence and as you come on tere is boos, it isnt exactly going to boost you up
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

"I wouldn't know what sort of abuse, if any or how much, Marquis received on line. Do people in his position really read it or take much notice of it?"

One of the massive consequences of the internet age. Anyone in a role highly visible to the public must have a very thick skin these days. Sadly it's the really nice decent people who care what people think about them who are most at risk.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

I honestly cannot believe SOME want the Cowleys out. Suddenly we've become hire em fire em supporters. FFS how about patience, this is their 2nd xfer window. They inherited a squad stuffed full of legacy players, some on big wages for L1. Players who in some respects had shown themselves not to be up to the task on several occasions. They have been shifted out but Jan is a difficult window to bring quality in. My feelings are this was always going to be a transitional season, laying the groundwork for next season.
Give them 3 xfer windows & then see where we are.
Finally those who say there's no difference in the state of play between Jackett & DC-walob. :)
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

pompeygunner wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:47 pm I honestly cannot believe SOME want the Cowleys out. Suddenly we've become hire em fire em supporters. FFS how about patience, this is their 2nd xfer window. They inherited a squad stuffed full of legacy players, some on big wages for L1. Players who in some respects had shown themselves not to be up to the task on several occasions. They have been shifted out but Jan is a difficult window to bring quality in. My feelings are this was always going to be a transitional season, laying the groundwork for next season.
Finally those who say there's no difference in the state of play between Jackett & DC-walob. :)
I don't think there is much difference between Cowley's team and Jackett's apart from scoring less goals. I don't see any notable improvement yet and we are still seeing some dire performances at times. No I wouldn't like to go back to having Jackett in charge. I think the Cowley's may well improve the entertainment on offer and become successful but I don't think there is any tangible improvement yet.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

I concur with you completely BW
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

pompeygunner wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:47 pm I honestly cannot believe SOME want the Cowleys out. Suddenly we've become hire em fire em supporters. FFS how about patience, this is their 2nd xfer window. They inherited a squad stuffed full of legacy players, some on big wages for L1. Players who in some respects had shown themselves not to be up to the task on several occasions. They have been shifted out but Jan is a difficult window to bring quality in. My feelings are this was always going to be a transitional season, laying the groundwork for next season.
There appears to be two very distinct camps forming on this MB. I'm 100% in yours PG :wink: :thumb
For me, the Cowleys are a huge improvement on Jackett for all sorts of reasons. For starters, they totally get us as a club and, as importantly, as a city. Added to that, they don't stand motionless and passionless on the side line, arms folded during matches chewing gum. Oh, and they actually come over to our fans at the end of games to applaud us. The fact that Jackett never did this, especially at away games, used to really annoy me.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

No they don’t stand motionless on the touch line they prance about like idiots giving out constant useless crap to players who already don’t have a clue what their tactics are in the first place.
But then I’m in the camp that thought from day one they were a bad appointment in the first place.
I loved their quote today in Hampshire Live ‘ our teams always come good in the second half of the season’ go figure that was clear last season was it not
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

The antics on the touchline or the passive lack of them does not define the ability or quality of a manager. I remember Avram Grant being accused of being like a statue during games. Then one game he lost his rag and remonstrated with a linesman. He all of a sudden became hero worshiped and seen as a beacon of defiance while we being relegated. Then when the first opertunity came he jumped ship. I don't think it matters whether a manager is animated or not, it is what his team is doing on the pitch which defines him. You may well be right and the Cowley's are emotionally invested in our club and city as a whole or, of course, they could be delving in a bit of good PR. I don't know and I would think only they know. I could write the signing on speech for new players who are well versed on what to say to get the popular vote. No doubt they have been advised what to say. Say nice things about the fans, how loud they are, how passionate they are, can't wait to play in front of them and so on. Paul Cook said he would never leave this club then walked a few weeks later. The only constants in football are us, the supporters. We have the emotional attachment to the club and we are not going to walk off to support another club because they have got a better team. I don't buy all this PR talk, I don't dismiss it as false, I take it with a pinch of salt. The Cowley's will leave this club one day either as failures or successful and join another club, whose fans and city they love.