An open letter to Messrs Cowley

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Fratboy Slim
Robbie Pethick

An open letter to Messrs Cowley

Post by Fratboy Slim »

Dear Danny and Nicky

When you arrived, you promised fast attacking football, playing out from the back to swiftly move the ball towards a free flowing front line.

Forgive me, but I have seen none of this so far this season. May I make a few observations (naming no names):

1) Your 'style' relies on being able to pass accurately out of defence. Unfortunately, none of our defenders can pass wind, let alone a straightforward ball to a player in midfield.
2) What midfield? Having two defensively minded midfielders, who typically have their backs towards our goal, are only able to pass back to the defenders, who by now are being pressed by the opposition forwards.
3) Creative midfielders. We really only have one (with apologies to one other, who is a Welsh international by the way!) but he seems to spend most of his game time on the bench.
4) Wingbacks. My understanding is that wingbacks usually have skills in both the attacking and defensive disciplines. I have seen none of the latter and little of the former so far this season. (I won't pass judgement on tonight's left wingback, given it was his first game for the club)
5) Your current preference for a 3-4-1-2 formation, with wingbacks, still leaves us narrow yet still overrun in midfield (see the most recent home games against Mk Dons and Charlton).
6) The 'no.10' (current incumbent is our top scorer) has to drop so deep to pick up the ball, with his back to goal, then has to spin his defender (typically a defensive midfielder). He is then disconnected from the forwards, who by the way are always starved of the ball and have to play out wide. I cannot remember a time since the Premier League years that we have had a midfielder (no.10?) that can play a killer through ball into the box.
7) Do you ever have a plan B?. We tend to start well, and should have scored may goals in the first 10 minutes, if we had strikers who could shoot straight. But then, the opposition seem to be able to suss us out and adjust accordingly. Dominating but thankfully not scoring freely due to our backs to the wall style of defending. Then, with 15/20 minutes to go we see like for like substitutions, who are no more effective than who goes off (with one exception - the most creative player, and perennial bench warmer, on our books).

I appreciate that the squad budget is tight and that you had to offload the higher earners to accommodate the influx of 'your' type of players. We are therefore, in a 'transitional phase/season'. Regretfully your incoming transfer/loanee nous appears to have deserted you. Preseason, I was impressed. but within 5/6 league 1 games, two of your signings suffered long term injuries (in midfield and central defence - both of whom have prior lengthy injury records) and two of the young loanees were clearly out of their depth at this competitive level. in fact, overall, I believe we have not improved any like for like playing positions season on season.

Knowing where we are going on Saturday, and that Oxford are scoring for fun (albeit mainly penalties) I am extremely fearful for the outcome.

Admittedly I am a mere armchair coach and I probably know nothing about player/management psychology. But I hope that we can gel at some point soon, and start witnessing your fast flowing style. It is now not clear to me how we can at least finish in the top half of League 1.

Yours
Fratboy Slim (long suffering Pompey diehard, aged 64 and 3/4).
Right here, right now - yeah, I've come a long way Baby!!
Northstander
Gary O'Neil

Re: An open letter to Messrs Cowley

Post by Northstander »

Spot on
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

I suspect that a return to 4-2-3-1 is back on the cards. The reason for going to 3 at the back was to give us more attacking options, but that's not working and as you say, leaves us too narrow.

Against Oxford I'd go:

Bax
Romeo Carter Robertson Hume
Morrell Thompson
Harness Jacobs Curtis
Walker

I guess the debate for me is whether you start Hume or Ogilive.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 160 times

Post by Pompey55 »

PakefieldBlue wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:46 am I suspect that a return to 4-2-3-1 is back on the cards. The reason for going to 3 at the back was to give us more attacking options, but that's not working and as you say, leaves us too narrow.

Against Oxford I'd go:

Bax
Morrell Thompson
Harness Jacobs Curtis
Walker

I would On evidence of last night go with Ogilvie as Hume seems ok going forward but inadequate defending and after a bright start disappeared in both aspects of the game.
I hope it was just a first game issue or we have been sold another pup
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Pompey55 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:05 am
PakefieldBlue wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:46 am I suspect that a return to 4-2-3-1 is back on the cards. The reason for going to 3 at the back was to give us more attacking options, but that's not working and as you say, leaves us too narrow.

Against Oxford I'd go:

Bax
Morrell Thompson
Harness Jacobs Curtis
Walker

I would On evidence of last night go with Ogilvie as Hume seems ok going forward but inadequate defending and after a bright start disappeared in both aspects of the game.
I hope it was just a first game issue or we have been sold another pup
I thought that Hume showed some promise in the last 15 mins, was prepared to attack and also put in a couple of decent crosses.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

PakefieldBlue wrote:I suspect that a return to 4-2-3-1 is back on the cards. The reason for going to 3 at the back was to give us more attacking options, but that's not working and as you say, leaves us too narrow.

Against Oxford I'd go:

Bax
Morrell Thompson
Harness Jacobs Curtis
Walker

Yes, too many square pegs in round holes ATM, that line-up would suit me and suit the players too.
One change though.
I'd play Bazunu in goal. :roll:
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 160 times

Post by Pompey55 »

I would suggest although this is possibly our best option where does O,Brien. fit into the team , I also think that no matter what the situation Jacobs will not be a starter under this manager and for some reason Curtis has fallen out of favour.
So I expect that they will stick to 3 at the back, keep the 2 loan players up front and play O,Brien. instead of Harness I hope I'm wrong but then Cowley will have team with the exception of Raggett. of players he has brought into the club thus cleansing the starting team of Jackett. era players
Keeprblue
Paul Merson

Post by Keeprblue »

Against Oxford I'd go:

Bax
Morrell Thompson
Harness Jacobs Curtis
Walker

I like it. :thumb
Laughing for exercise, it's like jogging on the inside.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Against Oxford I'd go:

Bax
Morrell Thompson
Harness Jacobs Curtis
Walker

I agree, apart from Robertson. He was absolutely cack last night, and is not a leader. Ogilvie in for him. Other than that. agree with you :thumb
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Easily our best formation - but everyone was moaning we only played one up front then.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:00 pm Easily our best formation - but everyone was moaning we only played one up front then.
Pompey fans must be among the biggest critics and moaners on this planet, rarely happy. I find it tiring.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

[quote="Selsey Bill"
Pompey fans must be among the biggest critics and moaners on this planet, rarely happy. I find it tiring.
[/quote]

I agree!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey Mike in Suffolk
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Pompey Mike in Suffolk »

Me as well
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Blue Walter »

If you go on any clubs forum sites you will see the same rhetoric in differing degrees depending on the clubs success or failures. People will have different gripes whether it be the owners, manager or players. I am probably one of the 'moaners' at the moment. My particular gripe is the rubbish football we see and being told we are in transition to something better. If other people are quite happy with what they are seeing and can see this transition taking place then that's fine. I can't, along with many other people, so this forum is a place to air those veiws. Of course when people do air their veiws some people will moan about the moaners.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 388 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

... and some will moan about those who moan about the moaners. :wink: