st john's playing fields

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Daniel
Martin Kuhl

st john's playing fields

Post by Daniel »

With st john's college closing the club is monitoring what will happen with st john's playing fields, if the club was able to purchase to maybe build a new training ground/academy what could they do with roko?

Looking at how much land we have how many houses could be built on the pitches and would there be enough space to effectively fund a new complex up at Farlington?

Then only use roko as a gym and a few out door pitches for the public?

I really don’t no the maths behind any of it but looking at Google maps the fields look pretty big could fit quite a good number of housing?
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Re: st john's playing fields

Post by jam tomorrow »

I maybe getting the wrong end of the stick but isn't there an issue with Flooding at Roko which has made them look at this new site?? I remember DC complaining that they weren't able to train as a result of the problem.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I wonder if we will end up with an academy on a different site to the training ground longer term, as space on the island is a premium.

If we were going to have a single site I'd have thought we would have done something from scratch off the island?
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 162 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Is there not a limit to what can be done at Farlington due to the bl**dy Brent Geese which if you remember scuppered the stadium plans there
Last edited by Pompey55 on Sat May 21, 2022 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

First of all: bl**dy hell, St. John's College is closing! My (and a good few on this bulletin board) old school :(

As far as I remember, the playing fields aren't great if you are worried about flooding. I used to dread sports after it had rained because it would invariably be cross-country due to the pitches being flooded.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Claygate
Alan Knight
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Claygate »

I heard a rumour that Eisner was trying to buy the whole of Roko and planned to build houses on it. I dismissed this as nonsense as where would the team train and have an academy? Perhaps St Johns playing fields is the answer?
Daniel
Martin Kuhl

Post by Daniel »

Would the footprint of roko or at least the fields generate enough cash to purchase and build a training/academy complex?

Brightons cost about 20 mill not saying we would generate that sort of money
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

RubiconCSL wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:16 pm First of all: bl**dy hell, St. John's College is closing! My (and a good few on this bulletin board) old school :(

As far as I remember, the playing fields aren't great if you are worried about flooding. I used to dread sports after it had rained because it would invariably be cross-country due to the pitches being flooded.
News to me too, Rubi but I am celebrating.....with some regret that it was not closed decades ago after rampant sexual and physical abuse by the sick de la salle order. This school has been a blight on the proud history of Portsmouth for far too long. Good riddance.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Daniel wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:02 am Would the footprint of roko or at least the fields generate enough cash to purchase and build a training/academy complex?

Brightons cost about 20 mill not saying we would generate that sort of money
a lot of the land belongs or belonged to Portsmouth rugby club, I would imagine that they wont want to give that up with nowhere wlse to go.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

RubiconCSL wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:16 pm First of all: bl**dy hell, St. John's College is closing! My (and a good few on this bulletin board) old school :(

they are the other side of the motorway from farlington marshes so no surprises that they flood really, I know the pitches at farlington, behind the bhotel were never great in the winter