So, where are these new recruits?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Re: So, where are these new recruits?

Post by Blue Walter »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:05 pm
jam tomorrow wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:35 pm I get the feeling Freeman and Curtis have just been put in the shop window by their Agents waiting for takers. Apparently Hibs have backed down also Cardiff Preston, and Blackburn are all speculation. Wouldn’t be surprised if Curtis wasn’t with us next season.
backed down or were never that up for it??

agents and journos dream time isnt it, just like wootton snubbing us for stockport
[/quote

That is closer to the mark. As you say dream time for journalists and those who like to spark rumours. The News have been right before, of course, but they have also been known for trying to sell papers. One thing they do have an advantage on us though is colleagues around the country that pick up snippets, some times accurate snippets.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:06 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:05 pm
jam tomorrow wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:35 pm I get the feeling Freeman and Curtis have just been put in the shop window by their Agents waiting for takers. Apparently Hibs have backed down also Cardiff Preston, and Blackburn are all speculation. Wouldn’t be surprised if Curtis wasn’t with us next season.
backed down or were never that up for it??

agents and journos dream time isnt it, just like wootton snubbing us for stockport
[/quote

That is closer to the mark. As you say dream time for journalists and those who like to spark rumours. The News have been right before, of course, but they have also been known for trying to sell papers. One thing they do have an advantage on us though is colleagues around the country that pick up snippets, some times accurate snippets.
Definitely going to be a exhausting off season if everyone runs around like a blue ass fly whenever we're linked with a player coming or going. I think you're right. A lot of it is just it's a quiet time of year so any old crap gets published to fill the gaps.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

It’s about time we really had something to talk about like some REAL signings. We are close to preseason training and diddly squat usual story jackinory.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

With what we have left, will pre-season training be in the Cowley's back yard with sweaters for goalposts?
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

In keeping with previous transfer windows Danny Cowley has spoken of how he wants to conclude business early. In keeping with previous transfer windows we haven't. In fairness it is early in the window still. I would have thought most clubs would have had their plans and strategies laid out and ready to go. Whether or not we are in that situation is up for conjecture. Any guesses as to what stage we are at? My guess is we are in keeping with previous windows and waiting for the loan window to open.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

I think Pompey are the truffles of the footballing world - we are one of the stars of the league in many eyes, but when looked at, we are a makeshift bunch of loans and the dregs who are left after the money players have picked off the better players. Truffles are thought of as a nice chocolate, but in reality, it is made of the dregs left over at the end of the day's run :-)
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

uspompeyfan wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:59 pm I think Pompey are the truffles of the footballing world - we are one of the stars of the league in many eyes, but when looked at, we are a makeshift bunch of loans and the dregs who are left after the money players have picked off the better players. Truffles are thought of as a nice chocolate, but in reality, it is made of the dregs left over at the end of the day's run :-)

No more truffles for me then.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Pompey55 »

uspompeyfan wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:59 pm I think Pompey are the truffles of the footballing world - we are one of the stars of the league in many eyes, but when looked at, we are a makeshift bunch of loans and the dregs who are left after the money players have picked off the better players. Truffles are thought of as a nice chocolate, but in reality, it is made of the dregs left over at the end of the day's run :-)
I always think of truffles as those very expensive fungi which taste terrible for the money spent but still buy them
So maybe we are a truffle club look crap cost a lot and actually are still crap and we still come back for more
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

I can understand that DC is leaving the door open for Hirst whether we get him or not depends on preseason training and possibly games? He also wants to be able to afford him financially so needs to keep some funds back. However what about other positions which need filling? I don’t think Carter is not coming back to start with.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

That may be the case regarding Hirst but his recent comments to Leicester website seem to indicate it’s not likely to happen anyway we would still need at least another capable striker as well.
Quite agree about other positions as we need to replace Carter and Romeo on the right plus Freeman may be going and at least another keeper is needed. Other clubs are signing players for example Thompson just went to Posh
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Pompey55 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:00 pm Other clubs are signing players for example Thompson just went to Posh
Be patient P55. There have only been about 20 transfers in-bound for the entirety of L1 so far (less if you exclude loans) and over 110 outbound. This part of the season is usually pretty slow and teams do tend to get rid of players before they bring anyone else in.

You're going to burn yourself out at this rate. I got really into it last transfer windows but then realised 90% of the ***** in the tabloids or from those "ITK" never came to fruition. That's both on the pessimistic and optimistic side! Save yourself the headache I gave myself!

Let's see where we sit at the end of the window. That'll be the real test.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Not by nature a patient person but this already has echoes of last season I will actually start to really worry when we have loads of trialists in the friendlies as we did last year
Up to now I’m just being my usual pessimistic self
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Whoopy Cowley is reassuring us he has plenty of loan details in progress great but no mention of actual contracted players coming in apart from the same old comment of young players “under the 1st team level” who can be developed.
Still it’s early in the window isn’t it
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:18 pm Whoopy Cowley is reassuring us he has plenty of loan details in progress great but no mention of actual contracted players coming in apart from the same old comment of young players “under the 1st team level” who can be developed.
I mean the article in the news does mention more than just loans and raises some valid points, but why let that get in the way of a good rant.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:29 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:18 pm Whoopy Cowley is reassuring us he has plenty of loan details in progress great but no mention of actual contracted players coming in apart from the same old comment of young players “under the 1st team level” who can be developed.
I mean the article in the news does mention more than just loans and raises some valid points, but why let that get in the way of a good rant.
I’ve just reread the article and there nothing whatsoever to lead me to believe that this season is going to any different to last year my interpretation of his comments is like last year we will see many trialists listed in our preseason friendlies. As he says we need to see how we can integrate players into our team.
As usual he spouts ****** to convince us he actually knows what he’s doing quite frankly he hasn’t a clue
Yes another rant but he’s incompetent and it’s about time we accepted that
Despite that I will still be back next season with my family having already renewed our season tickets