v Oxford

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 158 times

Re: v Oxford

Post by Pompey55 »

NSRailings wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:16 pm

Feels like we're starting from scratch again but hopefully we'll improve for Saturday.

That’s not going to happen unless Cowley sorts out his tactics
Can’t resist commenting but yet again we are found out tactically yet another insipid display we were lucky to get a draw
I am starting to really worry that the number of hamstring injuries we are seeming to suffer across the squad can not be down to pure bad luck but down to training and conditioning
And can someone tell Cowley that 4-4-2 is not working anymore everyone of our opponents have worked it out and are overloading our midfield 2 it worked early in the season because it was different but now it ain’t working and certainly not without Pack
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:43 pm Hume, Koroma and Dale are wingers i.e Midfielders
By definition wingers are attacking players not midfield I think that the comments were referring to central midfield where we had sod all
Never mind at least one of us has faith in our tactics and that’s not me
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Managed to get to the game tonight - feels like we're a patched up team which is low on confidence. The number of injuries in midfield is severely hampering any chance of playing coherent football, alongside some players just having limited impact. I was pleased that DC changed his tactics at half time to 4-3-3 which gave us more momentum. Oxford really were set up to constantly foul and time waste - what a lovely bunch!
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 226 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

[quote=Pompey55 post_id=924288 time=1666735056 user_id=43162]
[quote=BlueinPLtwenty post_id=924279 time=1666727022 user_id=76]
Hume, Koroma and Dale are wingers i.e Midfielders
[/quote]

By definition wingers are attacking players not midfield I think that the comments were referring to central midfield where we had sod all
[/quote]

I am grateful for your explanation, obviously after 64 years of watching Pompey I have got it totally wrong :shock: :shock:
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

I'm still in my 40's (just!!) but feel very old fashioned when I say this, but I really dislike the modern trend for "inverted wingers". For me it just is so predictable, cutting inside, running into traffic, narrowing the game and rarely does the shot on goal lead to a goal. Give me left-footed players on left wing and right-footed on the right. That then stretches the game and would provide the kind of crosses that Bishop would thrive off. I know inverted wingers are widespread nowadays, but give me Hilare and O'Callagan anyday!!!!!
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Pompey55 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:53 pm

Feels like we're starting from scratch again but hopefully we'll improve for Saturday.

Can’t resist commenting but yet again we are found out tactically yet another insipid display we were lucky to get a draw
I am starting to really worry that the number of hamstring injuries we are seeming to suffer across the squad can not be down to pure bad luck but down to training and conditioning
And can someone tell Cowley that 4-4-2 is not working anymore everyone of our opponents have worked it out and are overloading our midfield 2 it worked early in the season because it was different but now it ain’t working and certainly not without Pack
Did you see the Game??
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by NSRailings »

I'm also concerned about the amount of injuries this early in the season. It might have been after the Ipswich game that people remarked we looked tired - how? We'd just had a two week gap without a game and the season was only 10 games in. There were comments last season about the Cowley's working people too hard and it certainly ties in with some of the things he says about pushing people.

The comment he made about a lion jumping out was funny at the time, but if he's pushing the players too much then fitness issues are down to him. However, some players last night just weren't good enough and were missing obvious attacking chances.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 181 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:06 am
Pompey55 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:57 pm
BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:43 pm Hume, Koroma and Dale are wingers i.e Midfielders
I am grateful for your explanation, obviously after 64 years of watching Pompey I have got it totally wrong :shock: :shock:
Glad you recognised that.. :)
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Betelgeuse wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:41 pm This is the worst half I've seen. Dreadful midfield. No service to the strikers again. No midfielders on the bench.
All we had available were on the pitch
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:39 am

Did you see the Game??
No that’s why I’ve paid out for a season ticket
Of course I did
I didn’t comment on Saturday because I could not get tickets
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:06 am
Pompey55 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:57 pm
I bow to your greater experience I’ve only been going to Fratton for 57 years :D
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

I don't like Cowley's way of playing without wingers thereby providing no width to our attacking. For me you need players who can play out wide, go past defenders to the byline, and get in crosses. So many goals in football generally come from this for of attacking, its so hard to defend against.
Its all very narrow from the way we are organised.play Unfortunately we don't have any players who can actually take a defender on and go past him at pace, which is the best way of opening up defences. For me it's sad to see the absence of wingers in our game now.
It would also help if there was some pace in the team.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Pompey55 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:34 am

Did you see the Game??
Of course I did
just checking ;)
well you would have noticed that Cowley did change tactics in the 2nd half so we dont need to let him know
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:55 am

Did you see the Game??
Of course I did
just checking ;)
well you would have noticed that Cowley did change tactics in the 2nd half so we dont need to let him know
I did notice that he changed the midfield in the second half however it made very little difference as it was Hackett who he put there apart from getting their player sent off he did sod all,he constantly runs into blind avenues,has no real first touch, and he is so one footed it’s embarrassing
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Pompey55 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:09 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:55 am

Did you see the Game??
Of course I did
just checking ;)
I did notice that he changed the midfield in the second half however it made very little difference as it was Hackett who he put there apart from getting their player sent off he did sod all,he constantly runs into blind avenues,has no real first touch, and he is so one footed it’s embarrassing
i must have watched a different game then, the game I watched Mingi played as a sitting midfielder before it was changed to a back 3