New Functionality on the Forum

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 67 times

New Functionality on the Forum

Post by RubiconCSL »

It's been a while since I added any useful stuff to the board, so I've remedied that slightly today.

New BBCodes
BBCodes are those useful little buttons you see at the top of the textbox when you create or reply to a post, that insert [tags]xxx[/tag] tags to the message.
BBCodes.png

Hashtag
Now you can hashtag. Simply click the "hashtag" button and type the word you want between the tags.
Example

Code: Select all

[hashtag]Mousinho[/hashtag]
Result: #Mousinho

If clicked, it will show search results (on this forum) of the word "Mousinho".

Mention
Now you can Mention another poster i.e. prefix with the @ symbol.
Example

Code: Select all

[mention]RubiconCSL[/mention]
Result: @RubiconCSL

If clicked, it will show the profile of the Mentioned person.

Forum Digest
phpBB does not provide the ability to send regular emails to users with summarized postings on a board.

Digests are emails sent to users periodically with a summary of postings made on the board for discrete time periods. Digests are designed to make board users’ lives easier. You don’t have to explicitly visit the site to see what conversations are going on around there. Just read your digest and if there is some topic that seems of interest, they click on the topic link in their email program and start participating!

You can unsubscribe at any time. By default, weekly digests are sent on Sundays. You determine the hour you want to receive the digest. Whatever time they choose, you will always get the latest news so that you can pick a time that suits you.

Digests can be daily, weekly, or monthly. Posts older than this will not be sent in a digest. In addition, if you want you can elect not to see posts since you last logged in if you visited recently. You can even filter out your own posts.

If you do not want summaries of every post, they can be selective. You can pick the forum or forums that interest you. By default, you will get posts for all forums that you can access.

Digests can be sent as emails containing HTML or plain text. By default, you get the entire post as text, but you can also select to see excerpts of each post or get a list of posts with links to each post.

Please note that each digest is unique, and may have different posts in it compared to another digest going out at the same hour. It may not be perfect, as it is designed for flexibility, not efficiency. But it's there if you want to use it.

By default, no-one will get them automatically. Go to your User Control Panel and select the Digest tab to set it up. There are a lot of options! So maybe just subscribe and see what happens - you can always unsubscribe or amend the frequency, format etcetera later.
Example Email
Digest_Email.jpg
At the bottom, you get a summary of who's posted the most and there is an unsubscribe link if they get on your nerves.
Digest_Email_Unsubscribe.jpg
Just have a play and maybe give me some feedback.

Similar Topics
This change adds a list of similar (related) topics at the bottom of the current topic's page. It matches keywords in the current topic's title with other topic titles in your board's forums and determines the most relevant and closely matched results.

Example
Similar_Topics.jpg
It is quite configurable. So, if the results look a bit tenuous, I can alter the search a bit. Again, any feedback would be appreciated.

I'm looking at other "useful" changes I can make, so watch this space......
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: New Functionality on the Forum

Post by Sam_Brown »

Cheers Rubi for keeping the site going all these years. I imagine as well as the time you've spent maintaining the site that there is also a financial cost to hosting as well so thank you for keeping it going and we all owe you one (or several) beers if we ever meet.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

You are all more than welcome.

There is a small cost hosting-wise, which used to be covered by clients. As I semi-retired about 18 months ago, I don't have clients any more. It's not an overwhelming amount though.

Maybe I'll see if there is a donation add-on some kind souls might see their way to clicking :wink:
Sam_Brown wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:26 pm Cheers Rubi for keeping the site going all these years. I imagine as well as the time you've spent maintaining the site that there is also a financial cost to hosting as well so thank you for keeping it going and we all owe you one (or several) beers if we ever meet.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

RubiconCSL wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:03 pm You are all more than welcome.

There is a small cost hosting-wise, which used to be covered by clients. As I semi-retired about 18 months ago, I don't have clients any more. It's not an overwhelming amount though.

Maybe I'll see if there is a donation add-on some kind souls might see their way to clicking :wink:
Sam_Brown wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:26 pm Cheers Rubi for keeping the site going all these years. I imagine as well as the time you've spent maintaining the site that there is also a financial cost to hosting as well so thank you for keeping it going and we all owe you one (or several) beers if we ever meet.
You should do what Wikipedia does and once a year plaster your sexy mug on every page and say you aren’t going to take it down until you hit a required donation level.

Or just bang in your pay pal address somewhere and let people send you some money 🤘.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

RubiconCSL wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:03 pm You are all more than welcome.

You could see if the Eisners want to buy you.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 70 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Your endeavours are very much appreciated by me, and I'm pretty sure all of us on this MB Rubi. THANK YOU!
FatBlueAde
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Post by FatBlueAde »

Thank you, it is appreciated even though we are, generally, a cantankerous, ungrateful, moany bunch of bastards 🙂
Living in exile thinking Blue
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

FatBlueAde wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:18 pm Thank you, it is appreciated even though we are, generally, a cantankerous, ungrateful, moany bunch of bastards 🙂
well said Ade !!

thank you Rubi, you are a true legend
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 181 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Well done in maintaining this board Rubi, any chance of adding a "like" button? :D
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

I was thinking of that one - I'll see what I can find.
Betelgeuse wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:36 am Well done in maintaining this board Rubi, any chance of adding a "like" button? :D
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 181 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

RubiconCSL wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:11 pm I was thinking of that one - I'll see what I can find.
Betelgeuse wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:36 am Well done in maintaining this board Rubi, any chance of adding a "like" button? :D
And a dislike button for Portchy's posts... :lol: :lol:
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Yes, this may not be the most prolific Pompey message board, but it is without doubt the best. Cheers Rubi, I'd be happy to make a small contribution to costs.
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 130 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:26 pm Yes, this may not be the most prolific Pompey message board, but it is without doubt the best. Cheers Rubi, I'd be happy to make a small contribution to costs.
Likewise - thanks Rubi!
jabba monkey
Martin Kuhl
Been liked: 2 times

Post by jabba monkey »

I was thinking the same thing! In fact I would have ‘liked’ your post if I had the capability to do so.
jabba monkey
Martin Kuhl
Been liked: 2 times

Post by jabba monkey »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:26 pm Yes, this may not be the most prolific Pompey message board, but it is without doubt the best. Cheers Rubi, I'd be happy to make a small contribution to costs.
Completely agree! By far the best Pompey forum I’ve found, and I should know, I’ve followed a few