Our Midfield

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 32 times

Our Midfield

Post by jam tomorrow »

We seem to be missing a midfield enforcer which goes someway to explain our poor defensive performance v Barnsley and other games. We have two diminutive midfielders in Lowery and Morrell we need a taller stronger midfield enforcer. Tunnicliffe is not the answer Thompson or Mingi are the other options but I’m not sure whether they can fore fill that role going forward.This should be considered in determining which midfielders we should keep and bring in.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 114 times

Re: Our Midfield

Post by Blue Walter »

I think midfield has been a problem for us for quite some time. We haven't had the right blend for a number of seasons in my opinion. We have definitely missed having a truly creative player who can unlock defences with clever passes. That is one of the reasons why we haven't been able to make the chances for our strikers which has made them look worse than what they really are. I think we have players at the club that could that job with Lowery & Tunnicliffe being our most creative players. As JT has already alluded to we also could do with an enforcer to help the creative players to do their jobs. However, I think it is more important that we beef up the creative side and get that right first. We don't want to waste the talent of Bishop who is a proper goal scorer given the service. I would say that if a team has more than one player who can spark things off there would be little need for the enforcer type of player.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

I still think we need some more beef in the team. Too many times I’ve we’ve been out muscled by more physical teams.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Pompey55 »

What we need is another Mick Kennedy type player he would not have been outmuscled
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

JM has mentioned that he plans to play Lowery in the 10 role as he's a technical, creative player.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey55 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:43 am What we need is another Mick Kennedy type player he would not have been outmuscled
My favourite Pompey player ever :thumb