Well done 'Arry

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Well done 'Arry

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Kane that is....and well done England too. I wish I could say the same about Southgate. The team was being totally outplayed in the second half, he's got 3 defenders on a yellow and he doesn't make a sub until minute 69 and doesn't sub a defender at all.
Div III. Call it what it is.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Re: Well done 'Arry

Post by RubiconCSL »

I've just this minute finished watching it on channel4. Overall, a really good performance I think.

Kane impresses me more and more, every time I watch him. Not just for his goal-scoring either. I don't see much prem football, so I only really see him at international level. He must be the complete number 9. He leads the team well, holds the ball up and almost never loses the ball or misses a pass. I was also impressed with him as captain, seeing him control situations when players are all around the referee. He pushed the England players back to keep them out of trouble, but also made his point to the referee. I can't see him staying at Spurs this summer - he'd be mad not to go somewhere that he can win some trophies, especially at 30.

Midfield looked very comfortable. It was good to see Phillips have a good game. Rice was exceptional. Bellingham is top class, especially being so young.

We could and should have been at least 3-0 up at half-time I think, which would probably have made the second half a lot more comfortable. We never seem to have that killer instinct. The last time I remember us doing that was the 4-1 (great score 4-1) against The Netherlands in Euro 1996.

Italy are masters at winding people up, but I feel the team dealt with that very well too.

Quite a lot of cards sadly. But going down to 10 men was a useful test against a team we've not beaten competitively for 45 years.

Not overly impressed with Southgate, but I'm not sure changing him right now would be positive, nor who would be a better option. Clearly the players like him anyway.

Overall, really impressed with the performance.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

It's weird. Whenever I watch him play I always think "is this the guy everyone bangs on about? I don't get it..." and then he'll go and grab himself 2 goals. out of nowhere lol.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I enjoyed it last night but the best bit for me was the final whistle. That signalled that we had won against Italy at last. I thought we played well, especially in the first half, and I think we deserved to win. International games are so different to club games where I think there are more entertaining matches. With International matches even the rubbish bits are higher class. My only beef with Southgate is that we have so much yougn attacking talent but he tends to be so cautious at times and the endless passing is so frustrating. However, he has done well for England so it is hard to criticise. It is just that I wish he would encourage our forwards to take a few more risks.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Mickemo »

We bossed the game first half and should have gone in 3 nil up and out of sight.

2nd half they stepped up their press and took control of the game, Phillips looked out of puff around the hour mark and should have been replaced with fresh legs, Bellingham must have got a knock as he disappeared. Once again it took Southgate until the 80th minute to make the changes just about everyone could see needed making.

Well done England for a good win and Kane (as Gary Neville says) is “pure gold”. His all round game is top drawer!
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Just a thought how does he compare to the other Spurs legend Jimmy Greaves 44 goals in 57 appearances for England
I would suggest that on goals per cap there is no comparison whatsoever also Greaves was not a regular penalty taker Kanes’s figures include 18
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 30 times

Post by StMonkton »

For me , Jimmy Greaves was indisputably the best goal scorer I can remember. One of my all time heroes in the same box as Fred Trueman, Bobby Moore and Barry Richards.

Harry Kane is a far better all round player and is an England legend already. Unfair to compare across eras I feel. Let’s enjoy Kane while we can. It’s very easy to take players of his calibre for granted.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Blue Walter »

StMonkton wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:04 pm For me , Jimmy Greaves was indisputably the best goal scorer I can remember. One of my all time heroes in the same box as Fred Trueman, Bobby Moore and Barry Richards.

Harry Kane is a far better all round player and is an England legend already. Unfair to compare across eras I feel. Let’s enjoy Kane while we can. It’s very easy to take players of his calibre for granted.
Quite agree about Greaves. Obviously a very different sort of player to Kane but was probably the best chance taker this country has ever produced. Sometimes I wonder how it is possible to compare the stars from the past with those of today when the game has changed so much. The balls were heavier, the pitches were just mud fields at times and the game is so much faster these days. The players are fitter so to envisage how players like Stanley Mathew would fare today is difficult. However with Greaves I think he would have been even better in today's game. I remember that goal he scored against Manchester United in the 5-2 win at White Hart Lane where he took the ball from just outside his own penalty area. He dribbled round half the United team to score. He looked like an ice hockey player weaving the puck from one end of the pitch to the other.