Wycombe

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Re: Wycombe

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:07 pm I thought it was a good game for an end of season game. I think it showed up some of the things that we need to eradicate and things we need to improve on. I think we played some nice football but the final ball is nowhere good enough. I think we over pass the ball far too often instead of getting it forward quicker. We need to scrap 'playing out from the back' as it just invites problems and get the ball forward quicker. Until we get a creative midfield we need at least two up front. Things improved a lot when Piggott came on, although he didn't play right up front his presence in forward areas gave us more threat. I thought Wycombe looked a useful side and if they keep their team together and add some better players they will be a force next season. They were stronger, physically, than our team and bullied us a bit. However, overall we should have won that game and I think Pompey was the better side. Their first goal was as a result of this playing out thing with the keeper making a gift with a howler of a pass. The keeper was out of position for their second, but you have to credit Wing for his quick thinking and eye for an opportunity. But at the other end Ogilvie could have had a hat trick and their keeper pulled off some good saves.
We tried to sign Wing in January 2022 after his loan at Wednesday was terminated. Tidy player at the level.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:56 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:07 pm
New Forester wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:00 pm Roll on next season.
Whoopee another season in league one I’m counting the days to the beginning of next season so we can see yet again a totally new team of free transfers and loan players
Any other snippets of information from the board you want to share?
Nothing to do with having information from the board just my view of what we can expect based upon the last six seasons stuck in this league and the apparent lack of ambition being shown with our recruitment during that time
In saying that still going to renew our season tickets as I’m a glutton for punishment
At least I don’t see everything that happens regarding our club with rose tinted glasses as some
Anyway I’m signing off for now as I see little point in commenting on football topics until the transfer window opens
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:19 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:07 pm I thought it was a good game for an end of season game. I think it showed up some of the things that we need to eradicate and things we need to improve on. I think we played some nice football but the final ball is nowhere good enough. I think we over pass the ball far too often instead of getting it forward quicker. We need to scrap 'playing out from the back' as it just invites problems and get the ball forward quicker. Until we get a creative midfield we need at least two up front. Things improved a lot when Piggott came on, although he didn't play right up front his presence in forward areas gave us more threat. I thought Wycombe looked a useful side and if they keep their team together and add some better players they will be a force next season. They were stronger, physically, than our team and bullied us a bit. However, overall we should have won that game and I think Pompey was the better side. Their first goal was as a result of this playing out thing with the keeper making a gift with a howler of a pass. The keeper was out of position for their second, but you have to credit Wing for his quick thinking and eye for an opportunity. But at the other end Ogilvie could have had a hat trick and their keeper pulled off some good saves.
We tried to sign Wing in January 2022 after his loan at Wednesday was terminated. Tidy player at the level.
Yes, I do remember that but I thought he had gone MK Dons for some reason.
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

I posted weeks ago that I preferred us to miss the playoffs so we could have a proper go at setting up for next term.

Looking at today’s team do we think that the boss has been giving fringe players a chance to shine or show their worth?

I reckon he is now ( together with DOF) in good shape to build the squad for next season , knowing what the squad can do and seeing where there are holes.

Let’s hope for some positive trading over the next few weeks rather than a last minute rush to recruit anyone that’s available cheaply.
PUP.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:35 pm
Whoopee another season in league one I’m counting the days to the beginning of next season so we can see yet again a totally new team of free transfers and loan players
Nothing to do with having information from the board just my view of what we can expect based upon the last six seasons stuck in this league and the apparent lack of ambition being shown with our recruitment during that time
In saying that still going to renew our season tickets as I’m a glutton for punishment
At least I don’t see everything that happens regarding our club with rose tinted glasses as some
Anyway I’m signing off for now as I see little point in commenting on football topics until the transfer window opens
There is a god. Even the magic man in the sky that doesn't exist can see we haven't relied on free transfers and loans for the past 12 windows, and he's not even real.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

StMonkton wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:18 pm I posted weeks ago that I preferred us to miss the playoffs so we could have a proper go at setting up for next term.

Looking at today’s team do we think that the boss has been giving fringe players a chance to shine or show their worth?

I reckon he is now ( together with DOF) in good shape to build the squad for next season , knowing what the squad can do and seeing where there are holes.

Let’s hope for some positive trading over the next few weeks rather than a last minute rush to recruit anyone that’s available cheaply.
PUP.
I think that Bernard being given a third outing on the trot would suggest that he may well be one of the first through the door. I don't know whether that means Raggett is on his way, I hope that's not the case. I can't see any reason why a loan player would have played in the last match of the season when there were other options available. Possibly Raggett is not going to be offered a new deal, or maybe he wants to move on. I suppose we will find out soon.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pretty sure Raggs has another year, so would be an incoming fee if he's off.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Yes, Raggett has another year.

Pigott was the only sub used today and he made a difference. Looks like he has another year left on his Ipswich contract. Is he worth trying to make permanent for a couple of years? It's a difficult one as I don't think he was given a fair chance by Cowley.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

NSRailings wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:02 pm Yes, Raggett has another year.

Pigott was the only sub used today and he made a difference. Looks like he has another year left on his Ipswich contract. Is he worth trying to make permanent for a couple of years? It's a difficult one as I don't think he was given a fair chance by Cowley.
I think you can do as well if not better for less than he would cost in fee and wages.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:34 pm
There is a god. Even the magic man in the sky that doesn't exist can see we haven't relied on free transfers and loans for the past 12 windows, and he's not even real.
ffs loans Bazunu Griffiths Macey Bernard Pigott Dale Romeo Carter Hirst O’Brien Scarlett
free transfers Pack Rafferty Freeman Tunnicliffe Thompson
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:48 pm Pretty sure Raggs has another year, so would be an incoming fee if he's off.
I think the club have got a year option on him.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

NSRailings wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:02 pm Yes, Raggett has another year.

I agree Piggott made a difference when he came on but then I think there is more of a threat when there is more than one striker. I think we need more pace up front and I don't think Piggott is blessed with too much of that, but he is a skillful player and has proved he can score goals. I think he is worth a punt though, as long it's not a replacement for Bishop. I would like to see the club look for a striker of proven ability to play up along side Bishop next season if Piggott is going to be too expensive or a better option not found.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:21 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:48 pm Pretty sure Raggs has another year, so would be an incoming fee if he's off.
I think the club have got a year option on him.
2 year contract signed last June.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:29 pm ffs loans Bazunu Griffiths Macey Bernard Pigott Dale Romeo Carter Hirst O’Brien Scarlett
free transfers Pack Rafferty Freeman Tunnicliffe Thompson
The table below shows the incoming transfers from us, and all the teams which finished in the automatic promotion places or play off places. The data is taken from https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk *I forgot abou Wednesday.

+--------------+-----+------+------+-------+
| Team | Fee | Free | Loan | Total |
| Portsmouth | 4 | 5 | 7 | 16 |
| Plymouth | 3 | 4 | 6 | 13 |
| Ipswich | 7 | 5 | 2 | 14 |
| Barnsley | 4 | 6 | 7 | 17 |
| Bolton | 3 | 2 | 5 | 10 |
| Peterborough | 3 | 1 | 6 | 10 |

*Wednesday 3 fees. 5 frees. 4 loans.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Cheer up. We've just won the battle for 8th place !