22/23 Review - What went wrong?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

22/23 Review - What went wrong?

Post by Sam_Brown »

We were top of the table early season then it just all fell apart. What happened to cause the same squad we had that managed to get us to the top of the table to fall apart so spectacularly?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 134 times

Re: 22/23 Review - What went wrong?

Post by Pompey55 »

Maybe because apart from Peterborough home and Wednesday away all our opponents until the wheels started to come off against Plymouth were destined to finish in the bottom half
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

We weren't great at the start of the season but we were growing in to the season. So what went wrong?

1. Injuries to a few key players who just make us tick.

2. In response to the injuries we kept shuffling the pack, and it never really worked so we shuffled the pack again.

3. Queen died, that stopped us playing a Barnsley side who were in trouble at the time and we were flying. We would have beaten them.

4. Players dropping in and out of fitness leading to more shuffling of the pack.

5. Once things started to go wrong be just kept changing things hoping it got better. I think we would have been better sticking with something than keep chopping and changing.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

You forgot to mention extremely poor team management/selection/coaching!!

That could have had an impact on results?? :roll:
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

eltorrro wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:05 pm You forgot to mention extremely poor team management/selection/coaching!!

See point 2 and point 5.

Extremely poor team, just isn't true as extremely poor teams don't finish 8th. The team wasn't good enough, but to say they are extremely poor is just an sensationalism.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:28 pm
eltorrro wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:05 pm You forgot to mention extremely poor team management/selection/coaching!!

See point 2 and point 5.

Extremely poor team, just isn't true as extremely poor teams don't finish 8th. The team wasn't good enough, but to say they are extremely poor is just an sensationalism.
In a couple of those games last few games 'extremely poor' is an accurate description. Against Bolton, at home, we looked like able candidates but much of the rest was very poor.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:53 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:28 pm

See point 2 and point 5.

In a couple of those games last few games 'extremely poor' is an accurate description. Against Bolton, at home, we looked like able candidates but much of the rest was very poor.
Poor performance != Poor Team though
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

As others have said started very well, but key injuries & shuffling the pack led to disruption & imo a lack of belief within the players as to what Danny was trying to do. In short I think he lost the dressing room. Also Danny's pre occupation with signing injury prone players in the belief he had a Dr mate who could get around injuries was so flawed. Plus we were crying out for pace in forward positions & only Scarlett had any & the longer the season went on the worse he played. The loanees in truth apart from Macey & Bernard were poor.
If one player summed up our season it was Oggie, he was great up until asked to play RB & from there he was never the same. As was the whole team from that point.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

I didn't say 'extremely poor team'.

I said 'extremely poor team management'.

I actually think we had quite a good group of players that were not coached well enough to become a team good enough to do what their supporters wanted.
NSRailings
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by NSRailings »

eltorrro wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:21 pm I didn't say 'extremely poor team'.

I actually think we had quite a good group of players that were not coached well enough to become a team good enough to do what their supporters wanted.
I agree. And things have come out since Cowley left about players being rushed back from injury, a long with too much training.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

NSRailings wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:39 pm
eltorrro wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:21 pm I didn't say 'extremely poor team'.

I agree. And things have come out since Cowley left about players being rushed back from injury, a long with too much training.
Agree with both of you on this. Key injuries seem to have hit us hard mid season.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
NSRailings
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by NSRailings »

The first league game I went to was Bristol Rovers back in August. We played some great football. The same with the first half of the infamous Plymouth game in September. We gradually wore them down, went ahead and quietened their supporters. When the 2nd half began you could see Plymouth were sitting back and their confidence was knocked. However, we'd lost Lowery and they began to see we weren't the same team.
Super Matt Macey in goal...