Colby Bishop Transfer Value

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Re: Colby Bishop Transfer Value

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:42 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:10 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:22 pm
Jack_Tinn wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:06 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:16 pm Reading the News today Bishop himself doesn't know for sure where he will be next season. He is saying that his future is not in his hands and that the club and 'other people' decide what happens. He is saying that as far as he is concerned he sees himself here next season unless he is told otherwise.

Now a couple of points do ome to mind here with one being he has two more years on his contract. That means he does have some in what happens because without his agreement he doesn't have to leave. The club can accept an offer for him but it is up to him if he leaves. So when he says he has no choice I wonder if he is leaving the door open a bit. Secondly I think the club should tell him they want him to stay and unless they get an offer over, say £3 million, he will be with us.

Maybe I have over simplified things a bit but it does seem pretty straight forward to me. The club tells the player he is wanted for our own promotion push and that any would be suitors will need to pay through the nose to get him. The same things should apply to Morrell as well.
I suspect the club have said the same to Bishop and his agent. We don't want to sell you, we don't need to sell you but if a club comes in and meets our valuation then we will let you know. Truth is neither Bishop or Pompey know if a club is out there willing to spend say £3m on him this off-season.

You may well be right but that's not what is being said publicly. I can't see any reason why the club can't say that they intend to keep our best players as we want them here to help in our own clubs success. Saying it publicly that if anyone wants our best players they will have to pay over the odds to get them will give supporters more confidence that the club means what it says about promotion. Mousinho simply saying that he doesn't know if he will be able to keep Bishop & Morrell seems like a whinge or an invitation to put in a bid.
You think players would take kindly to the club saying you have to pay over the odds for them? The club don't want pissed off players on the books.

What if the club say over the odds, then accept a bid they believe to be over the odds, but it doesn't meet with fans valuation? It's just a stick to be beaten with.

Of course the club don't know if they can keep the players - they don't know what someone is going to offer, if anything.

Of course the club know if they can keep their players, they are under contract. Bishop himself knows he is under contract. The club are in the driving seat, which is known by the players themselves and any other club that want our players. As for being 'pissed off' players if the club refuse a bid that they consider fair doesn't come into it. They signed a contract that ties them to the club for a determined period. And when have clubs been concerned by what value their supporters put on any player?Of course they would be cheesed off if a big club came in for them and Pompey turned them down. The thing is unless a Championship club comes in for any of our players they would be going to a rival in League One, as was the case last season. Also of course the club knows there will be interest from other clubs, especially for Bishop & Morrell, they are good players at this level and good players are at a premium.

Other clubs have made statements about their players not going anywhere unless they receive an offer too good to turn down. Some clubs have gone further and said their players are not for sale. Moushino saying the club doesn't know if they can keep their players is tantamount to inviting bids and I sincerely hope that Pompey are not looking to trade.
Would you accept an unhappy player playing for the team? What if their unhappiness affected their performance? So not only are their wages being wasted but you have lost the money someone was prepared to pay for them? What if the same player then left for a free 12 months later? What if selling a player at peak value meant you could but a younger / cheaper / better player or strengthen a few key positions.

I'm not suggesting we should sell our better players, and neither is the club of course keeping hold of the likes of Bishop / Morrell should make improving next season easier but every player has their price.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:53 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:16 pm Reading the News today Bishop himself doesn't know for sure where he will be next season. He is saying that his future is not in his hands and that the club and 'other people' decide what happens. He is saying that as far as he is concerned he sees himself here next season unless he is told otherwise.

Now a couple of points do ome to mind here with one being he has two more years on his contract. That means he does have some in what happens because without his agreement he doesn't have to leave. The club can accept an offer for him but it is up to him if he leaves. So when he says he has no choice I wonder if he is leaving the door open a bit. Secondly I think the club should tell him they want him to stay and unless they get an offer over, say £3 million, he will be with us.

Maybe I have over simplified things a bit but it does seem pretty straight forward to me. The club tells the player he is wanted for our own promotion push and that any would be suitors will need to pay through the nose to get him. The same things should apply to Morrell as well.
I suspect the club have said the same to Bishop and his agent. We don't want to sell you, we don't need to sell you but if a club comes in and meets our valuation then we will let you know. Truth is neither Bishop or Pompey know if a club is out there willing to spend say £3m on him this off-season.

You may well be right but that's not what is being said publicly. I can't see any reason why the club can't say that they intend to keep our best players as we want them here to help in our own clubs success. Saying it publicly that if anyone wants our best players they will have to pay over the odds to get them will give supporters more confidence that the club means what it says about promotion. Mousinho simply saying that he doesn't know if he will be able to keep Bishop & Morrell seems like a whinge or an invitation to put in a bid.
You think players would take kindly to the club saying you have to pay over the odds for them? The club don't want pissed off players on the books.

What if the club say over the odds, then accept a bid they believe to be over the odds, but it doesn't meet with fans valuation? It's just a stick to be beaten with.

Of course the club don't know if they can keep the players - they don't know what someone is going to offer, if anything.

Of course the club know if they can keep their players, they are under contract. Bishop himself knows he is under contract. The club are in the driving seat, which is known by the players themselves and any other club that want our players. As for being 'pissed off' players if the club refuse a bid that they consider fair doesn't come into it. They signed a contract that ties them to the club for a determined period. And when have clubs been concerned by what value their supporters put on any player?Of course they would be cheesed off if a big club came in for them and Pompey turned them down. The thing is unless a Championship club comes in for any of our players they would be going to a rival in League One, as was the case last season. Also of course the club knows there will be interest from other clubs, especially for Bishop & Morrell, they are good players at this level and good players are at a premium.

Other clubs have made statements about their players not going anywhere unless they receive an offer too good to turn down. Some clubs have gone further and said their players are not for sale. Moushino saying the club doesn't know if they can keep their players is tantamount to inviting bids and I sincerely hope that Pompey are not looking to trade.
Would you accept an unhappy player playing for the team? What if their unhappiness affected their performance? So not only are their wages being wasted but you have lost the money someone was prepared to pay for them? What if the same player then left for a free 12 months later? What if selling a player at peak value meant you could but a younger / cheaper / better player or strengthen a few key positions.

I'm not suggesting we should sell our better players, and neither is the club of course keeping hold of the likes of Bishop / Morrell should make improving next season easier but every player has their price.

I don't know why you feel the need to educate me with 'every player has his price' old chestnut. I know, just like everyone else knows, that of course if a ridiculous offer comes in for any player there is only one sensible option. That goes for just about any player at any club. Oddly enough I am also aware that sometimes selling one player can transform a team, as we already know that from our past. Bishop has two years left on his contract so he won't sulk for all that time either, if indeed he was to sulk, especially outside transfer windows. He might even be chuffed that the club think that highly of him.

Actually I don't really know what you are actually arguing with me about. My veiw is that I don't think Mousinho is making the noises that fill me with confidence that Bishop is not going to be sold, or Morrell for that matter. The club are not saying that they are committed to promotion next season when they are 'wondering' if we can keep our best players. I am grateful to you for telling me how things work but I have been supporting Pompey for over 60 years and I have seen it and heard it all before.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:36 pm

I don't know why you feel the need to educate me with 'every player has his price' old chestnut. I know, just like everyone else knows, that of course if a ridiculous offer comes in for any player there is only one sensible option. That goes for just about any player at any club. Oddly enough I am also aware that sometimes selling one player can transform a team, as we already know that from our past. Bishop has two years left on his contract so he won't sulk for all that time either, if indeed he was to sulk, especially outside transfer windows. He might even be chuffed that the club think that highly of him.

Actually I don't really know what you are actually arguing with me about. My veiw is that I don't think Mousinho is making the noises that fill me with confidence that Bishop is not going to be sold, or Morrell for that matter. The club are not saying that they are committed to promotion next season when they are 'wondering' if we can keep our best players. I am grateful to you for telling me how things work but I have been supporting Pompey for over 60 years and I have seen it and heard it all before.
:thumb
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:36 pm

I agree with Walter, I think we're being softened up for the probable departure(s) of @ least Bishop & probably also Morrell.
Cullen started this by saying about 6 weeks ago if a good offer came in for Bishop we'd have to consider it.
We can all draw our own conclusions, mine is one or both are off.
Now if that money is ploughed back into & on top of the transfer budget then I can live with that, if it isn't then I may not renew my ST.
I'm sure Tornante will be stunned this lol.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:10 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:34 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:47 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:22 pm Saying it publicly that if anyone wants our best players they will have to pay over the odds to get them will give supporters more confidence that the club means what it says about promotion.
Completely agree mate.
Sorry but the club don’t need to say sod all about bids from other clubs and players don’t need to be told of any bids from other clubs unless the club feels that it’s acceptable and allow them to speak to that club.
Saying publicly that we would not entertain bids for players is surely counter productive
Counter productive in what way? I am talking about Pompey keeping their best players instead of selling them to fund our transfer budget. Remember I said IF the club are serious about promotion this is what they need to do. If the club are serious about promotion, like they are telling us supporters, they could cement our confidence in the club by letting people know we WANT to keep our best players. By whinging about 'not being able to keep Bishop (or Morrell)' can be seen as an open invitation for bids. By making a public pledge that the clubs intention is a serious attempt at promotion by keeping our best players and adding to what we have got will boost confidence within the support. Players will only be sold at premium prices and not to rivals.

Don't you want to know how serious the club are for next season? Will you be OK about getting a 'competitive' budget that is funded by the sale of players? I really don't know why you need to say the club doesn't have to 'say sod all' because we know that. But by making a public declaration people will know where we stand. At the moment I am not sure this summer's transfer budget is not going to be funded by flogging a player we have finally managed to bring in to score goals regularly. What is being said at the moment is basically 'what can we do if the big boys come knocking'.
I like everyone want both a competitive budget and retaining our contracted players but I just think publicising that any player is available is an offer over the odds is made is inviting speculative bids from clubs for key players. Better to say contracted players are not for sale unless it’s one like Hackett who we want gone and his fee could pay for some new goalposts as we will not get much
We can only guess if we have a more competitive budget once the window opens but taking up the option on Ogilvie is a good start
Anyway it’s not the size of the budget but how it’s spent as with Plymouth
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I am sorry Mr 55 but I don't really understand your point. I am saying that offers are being invited when you admit that a player could be sold due to the size of fee. To deter clubs from coming in for our players, and instill confidence to supporters, the noises coming out of Fratton Park should be that we want to keep our best players and bids are unwelcome. Of course clubs won't be deterred if they really want any of our players but at least let them know it will not be cheap and the size of fee will have to be over priced.