Retained List

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 40 times

Retained List

Post by PeteM »

Robertson, Freeman, Thompson, Tunnicliffe, Jacobs, Reid, Bridgman and Gifford released

Ogilvie, Oluwayemi, Jewitt-White have all had a year option activated.

Mingi has been offered new terms (but probably just so we get a development fee when he leaves), the club remain in talks with Curtis.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 146 times

Re: Retained List

Post by Sam_Brown »

What went wrong with Thompson? I seem to recall he started off well... (might be getting confused with someone else)
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Rjk66
Alan Biley
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Rjk66 »

I really hope Curtis hangs on in there for longer, he will be my biggest loss
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I suspect there is a deal to be done with Curtis while he's injured. Nothing too surprising on that list.

I rate Thompson but I think our central midfield is very strong and the money is better spend elsewhere. Can't imagine be comes cheap.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Sam_Brown wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:53 pm What went wrong with Thompson? I seem to recall he started off well... (might be getting confused with someone else)
Got his leg broke v Bristol rovers
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 123 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I must admit I am a bit surprised that Thompson & Reid are not being retained. I know there is more creativity needed in our midfield and that Thompson is not that type of player but, I think, he is handy when the team needs to dig in. He offers the brawn when its needed and he is a good player as well. There again, I suppose, with the new players coming in Midfield will be fairly stocked. Reid has had the long term injury and never really got to show what he could do. I do feel a bit sorry for him in that respect and I hope he lands somewhere where he can show what he can do. I am not surprised at both Hume and Hackett though and I think both are good players. I think Hackett is a very talented player but he gets knocked off the ball too easily at this level but I think he will find somewhere to show his talent. I think Hume will stay at this level as will Tunnicliffe & Jacobs.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

I think that it is a good clear-out of under performing players. Sadly Thompson hasn't been as good since his injury this season (hopefully for him he gets back to form at a new club). Whilst we haven't seen anything of Reid, we'd be cross if JM signed a player from another club who hasn't played for two years wouldn't we, so I think a sensible decision. Every penny counts in the wage budget, hopefully JM and RH will make really good use of all those pennies!
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 123 times

Post by Blue Walter »

PakefieldBlue wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 6:28 am I think that it is a good clear-out of under performing players. Sadly Thompson hasn't been as good since his injury this season (hopefully for him he gets back to form at a new club). Whilst we haven't seen anything of Reid, we'd be cross if JM signed a player from another club who hasn't played for two years wouldn't we, so I think a sensible decision. Every penny counts in the wage budget, hopefully JM and RH will make really good use of all those pennies!
I think you are right and it is a good clear out and, no doubt, a great deal of thought has gone into it. In the case of Reid I just wonder whether there is a moral issue that could be argued for him. He got a bad injury playing for Portsmouth and he has not really had time to show what he can do for the club. Maybe it might do him good to get away and find a club that will give him a chance, but I wonder whether he deserves more support from the club he got his bad injury playing for. Quite possibly he is getting some sort from Pompey that is not publicly known. As for Thompson I think, from what I have seen, he seemed to be the same player and will quite likely stay at this level. I do agree a clearout is necessary and the hope is that better players come in to replace those going and, players like Thompson, are the casualties of the numbers issue.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Don't see the point in keeping Oluwayemi, he's too small for a keeper.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

No real news till the 10th at the earliest now then!
Sawbo Blue
Robbie Pethick
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Sawbo Blue »

Betelgeuse wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:30 am Don't see the point in keeping Oluwayemi, he's too small for a keeper.
Not really, similar height to Jordan Pickford, Iker Casillas, Shilton. 6ft and over is ok. Ability more important.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Blue Walter wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:21 am
PakefieldBlue wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 6:28 am I think that it is a good clear-out of under performing players. Sadly Thompson hasn't been as good since his injury this season (hopefully for him he gets back to form at a new club). Whilst we haven't seen anything of Reid, we'd be cross if JM signed a player from another club who hasn't played for two years wouldn't we, so I think a sensible decision. Every penny counts in the wage budget, hopefully JM and RH will make really good use of all those pennies!
I think you are right and it is a good clear out and, no doubt, a great deal of thought has gone into it. In the case of Reid I just wonder whether there is a moral issue that could be argued for him. He got a bad injury playing for Portsmouth and he has not really had time to show what he can do for the club. Maybe it might do him good to get away and find a club that will give him a chance, but I wonder whether he deserves more support from the club he got his bad injury playing for. Quite possibly he is getting some sort from Pompey that is not publicly known. As for Thompson I think, from what I have seen, he seemed to be the same player and will quite likely stay at this level. I do agree a clearout is necessary and the hope is that better players come in to replace those going and, players like Thompson, are the casualties of the numbers issue.
I think the club has probably fulfilled it's moral duties by paying for his surgery and rehab and getting him back to being available to play.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Betelgeuse wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:30 am Don't see the point in keeping Oluwayemi, he's too small for a keeper.
Taller than Gordon Banks who as I recall was quite a useful `Keeper
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

[/quoteToo small or not. He's just not very good
Rjk66
Alan Biley
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Rjk66 »

It’s not about who goes, it’s who stays we have to concentrate on