F A Cup Final Day

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

NSRailings
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 60 times

F A Cup Final Day

Post by NSRailings »

Used to be a great afternoon to go shopping as it was dead quiet. Is that still the case now?

A pity today's final is between a couple of the 'big' clubs. Would've liked to have seen Brighton or Fulham there.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Re: F A Cup Final Day

Post by Sam_Brown »

Some might say United are no longer a big club 💩
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Pompey55 »

NSRailings wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:16 am Used to be a great afternoon to go shopping as it was dead quiet. Is that still the case now?

A pity today's final is between a couple of the 'big' clubs. Would've liked to have seen Brighton or Fulham there.
I don’t think it’s the occasion it used to be in the past I can remember no matter who the teams were being in the pub until 2.30 then all round to someone’s house with party 7 s (always opened with a screwdriver)

I guess it’s that we are now saturated with live football everywhere
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Blue Walter »

When I was a boy I used to watch every last drop of the cup final. From when the tele coverage started in the morning right to the end of the game and the celebrations. I dreamt of the day I would see my club in the final, although I never thought it would happen. I was captivated by the whole experience from the community singing to seeing the cup paraded round the stadium. I did get to one final with a ticket that was being sold by one of the competing teams. His brother worked at the same place as me and, apparently, his brother gave him a batch of tickets to sell.

When my dream came to reality I found the experience a bit of an anti climax really but, obviously, very pleased we won. I think the Wembley experience is devalued a bit by holding the semi finals there as well as so many other games. Obviously it makes sense to hold the semis in the biggest stadium to allow more people seeing their team at the still iconic Wembley. Also I have been to a lot of games at Wembley watching England and an Olympics game there. I don't think the new Wembley has the same atmosphere as the old one. I have never experienced an atmosphere as intense as the England v Poland game where the 'clown' pulled off save after save to knock us out of the World Cup.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Did you go to the Sunderland game? Probably my favourite game I’ve been to from an atmosphere / crowd point of view. I think part of the reason the Cup Win was a bit meh was because it was just a crap game to watch lol.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:09 pm Did you go to the Sunderland game? Probably my favourite game I’ve been to from an atmosphere / crowd point of view. I think part of the reason the Cup Win was a bit meh was because it was just a crap game to watch lol.
Yes, I have been to Wembley for all of Pompey's games (this century of course). I agree with you that it was a great Pompey clan gathering and they generated a brilliant atmosphere. Oddly enough I just went to that game as, basically, a day out and I wasn't overly bothered about us winning. As the game started I became more committed and I think we were a bit fortunate to be only one goal down at half time. The second half was brilliant and made the trip worthwhile and the penalty shoot out was excitingly dramatic.

You are right the FA Cup final was a cack game to watch and with us being high in the Premiership we were expected to walk it. Cardiff weren't particularly high in the Championship so it was our game to lose really. Still, it was a great day in the end.

That England game I mentioned was more intense because the stakes were so high. Walking towards the stadium was just such a moving experience the nearer we got. Once inside you could almost reach out and touch the atmosphere and sheer patriotism because most of the 100000 people there were English. We sulked all the way home and most of the following month.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Might have been a game between two 'big' clubs, but there were apparently over 6,000 empty seats at Wembley yesterday.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:39 pm Might have been a game between two 'big' clubs, but there were apparently over 6,000 empty seats at Wembley yesterday.
That’s crazy. Especially as Wembley is a home game for most City and United fans 💩💩🤣
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

I think the train strike must have affected the Guildford trains more than most.
Sam_Brown wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:36 am
No Shot Sherlock wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:39 pm Might have been a game between two 'big' clubs, but there were apparently over 6,000 empty seats at Wembley yesterday.
That’s crazy. Especially as Wembley is a home game for most City and United fans 💩💩🤣
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

RubiconCSL wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:55 pm I think the train strike must have affected the Guildford trains more than most.
Sam_Brown wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:36 am

My Daughter went to see Beyonce at the Tottenham Stadium on Saturday and she went by train. She said they had a reasonable choice of trains in the morning as well. Going up there were a few United fans on the train with more boarding on the way. She came home Sunday on the train, also without any problems, but without the 'locals' from Manchester.
NSRailings
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by NSRailings »

Is the final to be held during the week now as well? :roll:

Does anyone know the reason for moving the competition to week days? Presumably something to do with money.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

NSRailings wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:13 am Is the final to be held during the week now as well? :roll:

Does anyone know the reason for moving the competition to week days? Presumably something to do with money.
Sat 25th May this year?
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:30 am Some might say United are no longer a big club 💩
:rofl really??
They maybe a bit meh atm but ffs cmon.
meakinsl
Milan Mandaric
Been liked: 5 times

Post by meakinsl »

The Spurs semi-final was still my favorite Wembley day out
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

pompeygunner wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:26 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:30 am Some might say United are no longer a big club 💩
:rofl really??
They maybe a bit meh atm but ffs cmon.
I wrote that like 12 months ago. 😺
Coeli lux nostra ductrix