St Evenage

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: St Evenage

Post by pompeygunner »

Betelgeuse wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:51 pm Thanks f**k for that!! Stevenage are a horrible side. Deserved red cards, terrible challenge by N Thompson, players should have words with him. We fell into the trap of playing the way Stevenage wanted us to in the second half, should have played our football instead of clearing it up the pitch time after time. Having said that Kamara missed 3 one on ones.
1st half the flags on the NS roof were limp, 2nd half suddenly they were open & straining against their cables. And yes it was blowing from the SW which made it difficult for Pompey to play into. Stevenage used the conditions by just launching it into our box. I thought we defended well tbh.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Re: St Evenage

Post by Blue Walter »

Selsey Bill wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:19 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:34 pm What did impress me about Stevenage was the speed in which they got forward in contrast to our lumbering style.
I'd call their style classic hoofball!
Yes quite possibly, you could say that. They play to their strengths which means getting the ball forward quickly to their pacey forwards. It's not nice weaving passing moves, or an infinite passing movement between the central defence, but highly effective which had us hanging on at times. I suppose it is for the eye of the beholder to decide whether that type of football is more or less exciting than endless passing in the central defensive area. Now I am not suggesting that our team should play like that but I do think that there are elements of that type of game that I would like to see our boys adopt. Just occasionally it would be good to see our boys take a bit more of a chance while attacking.