Will Colby Bishop Get The Golden Boot?!

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Will Colby Bishop Get The Golden Boot?

Yes
18%
No
82%

Total votes: 11

PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Re: Will Colby Bishop Get The Golden Boot?!

Post by PeteM »

SportMouth wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:04 pm
PeteM wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:26 pm But I didn't claim he was the Rolls Royce of strikers, don't put words in my mouth. Just that he was a good League One player!

I notice you never responded to Pompey 1984+1's requests to name the 8 strikers you claim are better than him in L1. Or your comments about him being good at L2 level but found out at L1 level which have been disproved earlier in this thread.

I don't think he will win the Golden Boot this season, but I also don't think he has been found out at a level that he is clearly proven at. Given your alleged 56 years of following Pompey home and away, maybe enjoy the season we're having? Just a thought.
Hello...when I wrote that post am pretty damned sure Bishop HAD slipped to 8th...he's now 4th....orders of merit change.
I don't THINK I ever said YOU stated he was the RR of strikers...I said it was a common opinion among some Pompey fans.
OK...perhaps I overstated the case for prosecution..but only a bit. Of COURSE I'm enjoying current season..each game I'm
astonished that we have achieved the seemingly improbable with an injury ravaged squad. I THOUGHT we'd get a good seeing
to at Peterborough tbh. Am fully aware that there are loads of Pompey fans who have followed side for longer and travelled
more than I....BUT I think they would all agree that a long term perspective is important. Enjoying the 'now' is fine..but that
wasn't a helpful attitude when it came clear what poo we were in in the final days before we almost went out of business.
The club is for always hopefully.....need to keep the long term in mind..at all times. PUP.
The original post on this thread was on the 6th March. Amazing that Bishop managed to climb from 8th to 4th on the goalscoring charts when he hasn't scored since that date?

We're all enjoying the season and totally agree that the long term future of the club is paramount. The players, staff and our recruitment department all deserve a big pat on the back for what they've achieved so far.
SportMouth
Collins Mbesuma
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by SportMouth »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:45 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:14 pm
PeteM wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:26 pm But I didn't claim he was the Rolls Royce of strikers, don't put words in my mouth. Just that he was a good League One player!

I notice you never responded to Pompey 1984+1's requests to name the 8 strikers you claim are better than him in L1. Or your comments about him being good at L2 level but found out at L1 level which have been disproved earlier in this thread.

I don't think he will win the Golden Boot this season, but I also don't think he has been found out at a level that he is clearly proven at. Given your alleged 56 years of following Pompey home and away, maybe enjoy the season we're having? Just a thought.
I still think some underestimate his contribution to the team apart from his goals, both goals against Oxford had a direct contribution from Bishop in the build up plus on Saturday his presence in the attack alone was sufficient to draw the defenders attention away from Yengi
Plus his pressing of defenders contributes in some way to our defensive strength again in Saturday his pressing covered up for the deficiencies of MPH
And I don't feel Yengi has a better eye for goal yes he has scored goals but has missed a number of extremely simple chances which is in part down to his inexperience in particular for example from a yard against Burton
Completely agree 55, strikers are always just judged on the number of goals, but Bishop like so many others do so much more, and when they arent in the team the whole dynamic changes.
As I remember.....when Bish was out injured..then rested..the dynamic DID change..and for the better. Might it be the case that Mousinho sets whole way we play around Colby. Without him in the team, other options needed to be explored and I THINK you'll find our record without him was pretty damned good.
SportMouth
Collins Mbesuma

Post by SportMouth »

PeteM wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:50 pm
SportMouth wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:04 pm

Hello...when I wrote that post am pretty damned sure Bishop HAD slipped to 8th...he's now 4th....orders of merit change.
I don't THINK I ever said YOU stated he was the RR of strikers...I said it was a common opinion among some Pompey fans.
OK...perhaps I overstated the case for prosecution..but only a bit. Of COURSE I'm enjoying current season..each game I'm
astonished that we have achieved the seemingly improbable with an injury ravaged squad. I THOUGHT we'd get a good seeing
to at Peterborough tbh. Am fully aware that there are loads of Pompey fans who have followed side for longer and travelled
more than I....BUT I think they would all agree that a long term perspective is important. Enjoying the 'now' is fine..but that
wasn't a helpful attitude when it came clear what poo we were in in the final days before we almost went out of business.
The club is for always hopefully.....need to keep the long term in mind..at all times. PUP.
The original post on this thread was on the 6th March. Amazing that Bishop managed to climb from 8th to 4th on the goalscoring charts when he hasn't scored since that date?

We're all enjoying the season and totally agree that the long term future of the club is paramount. The players, staff and our recruitment department all deserve a big pat on the back for what they've achieved so far.
Well..life is full of surprises innit? lol. I checked online and 8 was where he was placed...If that was an error..the fault is mine and the internet's.
Still doesn't make him the best striker outside Championship...does it? Agree with second paragraph...which basically agrees with what I said earlier...we're all coming together. Took a while but hey ho! PUP.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

SportMouth wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:53 pm

I still think some underestimate his contribution to the team apart from his goals, both goals against Oxford had a direct contribution from Bishop in the build up plus on Saturday his presence in the attack alone was sufficient to draw the defenders attention away from Yengi
Plus his pressing of defenders contributes in some way to our defensive strength again in Saturday his pressing covered up for the deficiencies of MPH
And I don't feel Yengi has a better eye for goal yes he has scored goals but has missed a number of extremely simple chances which is in part down to his inexperience in particular for example from a yard against Burton
Completely agree 55, strikers are always just judged on the number of goals, but Bishop like so many others do so much more, and when they arent in the team the whole dynamic changes.
As I remember.....when Bish was out injured..then rested..the dynamic DID change..and for the better. Might it be the case that Mousinho sets whole way we play around Colby. Without him in the team, other options needed to be explored and I THINK you'll find our record without him was pretty damned good.
and our record with him is pretty damn good. Why do you feel the need to put players down?? I just dont get it, we are top of the league, best defence, up there with the scoring charts both the team and individuals, and YET WE HAVE TO PUT THEM DOWN

How many other teams in league one have a striker with the number of LEAGUE ONE goals he has scored this season and last, but you cliam his level is league 2, WHY???
SportMouth
Collins Mbesuma

Post by SportMouth »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:11 pm

and our record with him is pretty damn good. Why do you feel the need to put players down?? I just dont get it, we are top of the league, best defence, up there with the scoring charts both the team and individuals, and YET WE HAVE TO PUT THEM DOWN

How many other teams in league one have a striker with the number of LEAGUE ONE goals he has scored this season and last, but you cliam his level is league 2, WHY???
So you have never debated the value of a player to the club? Ever ever ever?
I'll keep my eyes on your posts and descend like the hun at first sign of any criticism! lol.
I don't think I stated that he was 'just a L2 striker'....he HAS done ok in L1...without tearing
up trees recently. He's a striker..so leave defence out of it! Please supply list of goal scorers for last 10 games.
Bishop is still on 16....last goal Feb 17th, Yengi 11...scored 3 in last 2 games. Lane..on 11 and so on.
Am HAPPY other players have chipped in...and am NOT anti Bishop. I just don't agree with some folk's opinion
that without him we simply can't function...we obviously can.
The question was 'will he win Golden Boot' I said no...and 82% of the replies agreed. 16 goals is ok..kinda Marquis
level....Yengi's 11 puts Bishop's contribution into some sort of context. Have you not noticed that even Mousinho
no longer puts his name down as an automatic starter? I would never ever criticise Bishop at a game...he would
always get 100% backing. This is a forum for discussion...you shouldn't seek to silence debate.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

SportMouth wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:17 pm

I'll keep my eyes on your posts and descend like the hun at first sign of any criticism! lol.
I don't think I stated that he was 'just a L2 striker'....he HAS done ok in L1...without tearing
up trees recently. He's a striker..so leave defence out of it! Please supply list of goal scorers for last 10 games.
Bishop is still on 16....last goal Feb 17th, Yengi 11...scored 3 in last 2 games. Lane..on 11 and so on.
Am HAPPY other players have chipped in...and am NOT anti Bishop. I just don't agree with some folk's opinion
The question was 'will he win Golden Boot' I said no...and 82% of the replies agreed. 16 goals is ok..kinda Marquis
level....Yengi's 11 puts Bishop's contribution into some sort of context. Have you not noticed that even Mousinho
no longer puts his name down as an automatic starter? I would never ever criticise Bishop at a game...he would
always get 100% backing. This is a forum for discussion...you shouldn't seek to silence debate.
Of course I have debated players, but I am npot going to say that a striker who has scored 16 league one goals in a season is not tearing up any tress, only 4 people have scored more so the rest must be really really *****.
I never seek to silence debate, but have a sensible one, dont just put a player down, you claimed the team was better without him, yet the table would suggest otherwise surely ?? has he not not played more games as striker than we have played without him, and we are top ? surely that suggests he is pretty good in the team??
As 55 said, he doesnt just score goals, if you look at the last game, the goal Yengi score was because of bishops hold up play and run taking defenders away, football is a team game
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

SportMouth wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:17 pm

Statistics can be used in a variety of ways to justify an argument
Yengi 11 goals obviously from Wiki include 1 for Australia and 3 in Mickey mouse cup games against rubbish opponents he only has 7 in the League
That I think puts his contribution into real context
And I am not a happy clapper who thinks everything is perfect as I've shown in the past but please use real statistics when comparing players, there are much better sources of information than Wiki
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Yengi, is, I believe the personification of our transfer policy.

He wasn't the finished article when we signed him, and he still isn't. But what he had was an absolute of ability and a bucket load of potential. With the right blend of effort, coaching and a bit of luck he will keep getting better.

How high can he go? I don't know. But if we go up, Yengi comes with us and hopefully continues to grow with the club - at somepoint he either outgrows the club and we cash in, or the club outgrows him but he's helped us move forward.

Same goes for Devlin, Swanson etc...

I like Yengi, and he's done very well for a first season in English football but he's not the messiah he still makes mistakes (who doesn't?) I wouldn't want to rely on him alone week in week out in the same way in glad we don't only have bishop. They need to share the load - and they are doing that very well.

It's an exciting time to be a Pompey fan.