Lego

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Lego

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Any other Lego fans on the board?

If so, what's your:

Biggest set?
Favourite set?
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 45 times

Re: Lego

Post by phat_chris »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:27 am Any other Lego fans on the board?

If so, what's your:

Biggest set?
Favourite set?
NEEEEEERRRRRRRDDDD!!!

Says the guy who collects Warhammer miniatures 😂

My youngest daughter has quite the collection of Minecraft Lego sets. She loves them.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

I went through a bit of a LEGO phase a few years ago. I used to really like the technic range as enjoyed doing all the gears and mechanisms etc. I haven't bought one for a few years though as I realized a lot of the underlying concepts start to feel the same and a lot of the time it felt like doing the same build multiple times just with a slightly different shell on the outside. Especially true of the cars (which kinda makes sense lol).

Hoping they bring out some new technic stuff that's a bit more interesting with some new bits.

In terms of my favorites the two below are ones I really enjoyed making and have them on show (just have to make sure I keep the cats away from them!):
crane.png
crar.png
I did also get this roller coaster. It was great when all set up but 90% of it was just building the same struts over and over again so it got a bit repetitive but looked good and you could hook it up to a motor to make run itself. That didn't last long with the cats though :rofl :thumb
roller.png
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Some nice sets there! The rollercoaster one always looks great in the shop - just no idea where I'd put it!
Last edited by Pompey1984+1 on Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

phat_chris wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:56 am

If so, what's your:

Biggest set?
Favourite set?
NEEEEEERRRRRRRDDDD!!!

My youngest daughter has quite the collection of Minecraft Lego sets. She loves them.

I work in the field of spatial data and there is a disproportionate number of people who are Lego nerds in the field. One actually wrote a small application to tell him how to change the colour scheme on the Lego world map to represent something in the oceans - I can't recall if it was depth or temperature. That is next level nerd though.

There are some companies in aware of that have small pots of Lego bricks on every desk for people to fiddle with while solving problems and the like.

The Jurassic World and the Harry Potter Lego sets are big hits in our house. I like the space themed Lego myself.

I've always fancied the coliseum but it's too big, too expensive and I've heard from a former colleague actually pretty boring to build as it's hundreds of the same pieces - which is where I found the world map a struggle.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:51 pm Some nice sets there! The rollercoaster one always looks great in the shop - just no idea where I'd put it!
Yeah it was bit too big to leave up in the end. Think I gifted it to my brother in law when his mum passed so he had something to keep him busy. Him and my nephew had a good time putting it up. Sans any pieces the cat ate 🙊.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:59 pm

If so, what's your:

Biggest set?
Favourite set?
NEEEEEERRRRRRRDDDD!!!

I work in the field of spatial data and there is a disproportionate number of people who are Lego nerds in the field. One actually wrote a small application to tell him how to change the colour scheme on the Lego world map to represent something in the oceans - I can't recall if it was depth or temperature. That is next level nerd though.

There are some companies in aware of that have small pots of Lego bricks on every desk for people to fiddle with while solving problems and the like.

The Jurassic World and the Harry Potter Lego sets are big hits in our house. I like the space themed Lego myself.

I've always fancied the coliseum but it's too big, too expensive and I've heard from a former colleague actually pretty boring to build as it's hundreds of the same pieces - which is where I found the world map a struggle.
I just checked. I haven’t bought any for a long time. Absolutely insane how expensive some sets go for. I got the roller coaster when I was in Sheffield and the M1 south bound was closed. Popped into meadow hall for some food and was a massive impulse buy. A few older gents came in and spent... no word of a lie... thousands on whatever the latest sets were. Apparently people buy some of the bigger sets as an investment as they only stay in production a relatively short while. Seen the roller coaster is going for upwards of 350 on eBay so maybe some truth to that!
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Sam_Brown wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:32 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:59 pm

If so, what's your:

Biggest set?
Favourite set?
NEEEEEERRRRRRRDDDD!!!

I just checked. I haven’t bought any for a long time. Absolutely insane how expensive some sets go for. I got the roller coaster when I was in Sheffield and the M1 south bound was closed. Popped into meadow hall for some food and was a massive impulse buy. A few older gents came in and spent... no word of a lie... thousands on whatever the latest sets were. Apparently people buy some of the bigger sets as an investment as they only stay in production a relatively short while. Seen the roller coaster is going for upwards of 350 on eBay so maybe some truth to that!
Yep! Lego holds it's value very well.

All our sets have a freezer bag with instructions and spares in so they are still build able, sadly we don't have space to keep all the boxes.
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by phat_chris »

You guys don't know what expensive is!

Feast your eyes on the Warlord Titan. £1185 of resin awesomeness. But wait, there's more. You'll note that some of the parts look faded on that picture. That's because that £1185 only gets you the body. If you want the shoulder weapons, the arm weapons and the head, shield selection it'll set you back another £600. £1785 for grey resin components that you then need to cut out, clean, build and paint. Including the primers, paints and glue, you can expect to pay in excess of £2000 for this.

Screenshot_20240327_204332.jpg
Oh and here is another picture to give you a sense of the scale of this thing.

1zwazpyd6y1a1.jpg
Lego might be expensive, but little toy soldiers makes it seem cheap 😅
meakinsl
Milan Mandaric
Been liked: 6 times

Post by meakinsl »

Sam_Brown wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:46 am I went through a bit of a LEGO phase a few years ago. I used to really like the technic range as enjoyed doing all the gears and mechanisms etc. I haven't bought one for a few years though as I realized a lot of the underlying concepts start to feel the same and a lot of the time it felt like doing the same build multiple times just with a slightly different shell on the outside. Especially true of the cars (which kinda makes sense lol).

Hoping they bring out some new technic stuff that's a bit more interesting with some new bits.

In terms of my favorites the two below are ones I really enjoyed making and have them on show (just have to make sure I keep the cats away from them!):

crane.png

crar.png

I did also get this roller coaster. It was great when all set up but 90% of it was just building the same struts over and over again so it got a bit repetitive but looked good and you could hook it up to a motor to make run itself. That didn't last long with the cats though :rofl :thumb

roller.png
I bought my son the red crane, the best technics build we did, bl**dy impressive the 6 way switch, engineering genius, more recent sets seem to be adding more smart features so think that crane will be the last of the sets with that many pieces that isn’t remote controlled in some way, we got a lot of mileage out of the more recent Mindstorm set but he has now moved to the Xbox which does mean I don’t have to spend Christmas Day and the data after building Lego which to be fair I did enjoy
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Back in the old curmudgeon days, when I was a kid you used to buy lego sets of different sized bricks, bases, wheels and roof tiles and use yer imagination to build things.
Div III. Call it what it is.