The Shrews Match

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 226 times
Been liked: 111 times

Re: The Shrews Match

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

3-1 FT

90 points
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Spiny Norman
Martin Kuhl
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Spiny Norman »

Fantastic result!
3pts next weekend and it's the championship for us.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :thumb
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

That was an interesting performance. We managed to silence our own crowd because sometimes we were sooo sloooow and missed quite a few opportunities to get it forward or spread play. Ogilvie was the worst culprit for that from where I was sat. I know it's about getting the job done now but it was very frustrating at times.

Lane worked his socks off and Kamara had some excellent touches in the first half but faded in the 2nd. Bishop behind Yengi didn't really work and the difference when Saydee came on and Bishop moved up front was obvious. Lovely ball through for Bishop to score. Felt like we needed the third goal so it's good that we have a strong bench these days.

Am sure we'll be more up for it against Bolton though. And an average performance but still winning is the sign of a good squad.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Blue Walter »

To be honest I couldn't work out what was wrong with Pompey today. It took an own goal and a dodgy penalty to see off a very average team. They actually had more attempts on goal than us and we hardly created any openings. I couldn't tell if it was over confidence or just plain nerves. It was certainly a frustrating watch with more negative passing at the back than normal. Pompey seemed to be over cautious in not getting balls forward and settling for retention instead. Games are not enjoyable at the moment because there is just so much at stake. Hopefully we will have secured our promotion at home in the Wigan game but I think they are a decent side, certainly better than Shrewsbury. Beating Bolton next week would be fantastic and would seal the deal.

For me Pack & Swanson were the pick of the Pompey players and I think the team improved once Bishop moved back up front. I think if Bishop & Yengi are to play in the same team they need to be closer to each other up front. I think Bishop's talent is wasted in a deep roll but I think Yengi would certainly benefit from Bishop's clever flicks.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Credit has to go Will Norris for that great save and Sean Raggett for that tremendous block. Two Players who have contributed immensely to one of the best defences in League One. Only Lincoln have conceded fewer goals.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 157 times

Post by Pompey55 »

NSRailings wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:36 pm That was an interesting performance. We managed to silence our own crowd because sometimes we were sooo sloooow and missed quite a few opportunities to get it forward or spread play. Ogilvie was the worst culprit for that from where I was sat. I know it's about getting the job done now but it was very frustrating at times.

Lane worked his socks off and Kamara had some excellent touches in the first half but faded in the 2nd. Bishop behind Yengi didn't really work and the difference when Saydee came on and Bishop moved up front was obvious. Lovely ball through for Bishop to score. Felt like we needed the third goal so it's good that we have a strong bench these days.

Am sure we'll be more up for it against Bolton though. And an average performance but still winning is the sign of a good squad.
Agree with much of what you say I do think this was the match to try the Bishop/Yengi combination as we always had options on the bench if it never worked against a pretty average opponent
Saydee is underestimated in the 10 role as he makes a difference with his ability to hold up the ball under pressure
I would imagine we will not see any more experiments next week
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

[quote=Pompey55
Agree with much of what you say I do think this was the match to try the Bishop/Yengi combination as we always had options on the bench if it never worked against a pretty average opponent
Saydee is underestimated in the 10 role as he makes a difference with his ability to hold up the ball under pressure
[/quote]

I wonder what Bolton will think if Yengi does not start. He absolutely destroyed Santos at FP. The thing about Saydee is that he is a clever Player but he does lose the ball opening us up for a quick counter attack. (like Derby`s first goal last tuesday). It will be an interesting selection problem!
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:59 am [quote=Pompey55
I wonder what Bolton will think if Yengi does not start. He absolutely destroyed Santos at FP. The thing about Saydee is that he is a clever Player but he does lose the ball opening us up for a quick counter attack. (like Derby`s first goal last tuesday). It will be an interesting selection problem!
[/quote]

I'm hoping we have Lang back for the Bolton match if not him Tino should be fit hopefully,I think yesterdays performance was a hangover from the Derby match. If Lang is fit I think we will have a chance at Bolton Lane and Lang can be a deadly combination against the best of sides, Bolton will not want to lose this one and may be happy for a draw.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by pompeygunner »

jam tomorrow wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:10 am
BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:59 am [quote=Pompey55
I'm hoping we have Lang back for the Bolton match if not him Tino should be fit hopefully,I think yesterdays performance was a hangover from the Derby match. If Lang is fit I think we will have a chance at Bolton Lane and Lang can be a deadly combination against the best of sides, Bolton will not want to lose this one and may be happy for a draw.
[/quote]

I don't think Bolton will be happy with a draw, they are clinging on to the very faint hope of autos. They will go all out to win.