Beat Bolton and....

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

pompeymike23
Collins Mbesuma
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 7 times

Beat Bolton and....

Post by pompeymike23 »

We'd be up!
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 129 times

Re: Beat Bolton and....

Post by Blue Walter »

This current Pompey team do seem to rise to the occasion, such as Peterborough & Derby recently. Then they seem to falter against teams we should be blowing away, such as Chelmsford & Bristol Rovers. Against Bolton I am expecting the Pompey team to be more focused but strengthened by the knowledge a defeat is not the end of the world. Bolton will be desperate for a win which could affect their game. I am expecting Pompey to get a draw, but I am not predicting that.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 386 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

I must have missed the Pompey Chelmsford match. 🤣
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

GreenBlue wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:23 pm I must have missed the Pompey Chelmsford match. 🤣
Well done, you spotted my deliberate mistake. Of course it should have been Cheltenham.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 157 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Blue Walter wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:26 pm This current Pompey team do seem to rise to the occasion, such as Peterborough & Derby recently. Then they seem to falter against teams we should be blowing away, such as Chelmsford & Bristol Rovers. Against Bolton I am expecting the Pompey team to be more focused but strengthened by the knowledge a defeat is not the end of the world. Bolton will be desperate for a win which could affect their game. I am expecting Pompey to get a draw, but I am not predicting that.
I think that even a defeat next week will not be a major cause of concern bearing in mind Barnsley losing yesterday pretty much ends their automatic promotion chances and as such when here they will not be taking many risks with possible injuries/suspensions with the playoffs in mind
And anyway Peterborough play Bolton last match of the season so one of both will drop points making life a little easier for us
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:35 am
Blue Walter wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:26 pm This current Pompey team do seem to rise to the occasion, such as Peterborough & Derby recently. Then they seem to falter against teams we should be blowing away, such as Chelmsford & Bristol Rovers. Against Bolton I am expecting the Pompey team to be more focused but strengthened by the knowledge a defeat is not the end of the world. Bolton will be desperate for a win which could affect their game. I am expecting Pompey to get a draw, but I am not predicting that.
I think that even a defeat next week will not be a major cause of concern bearing in mind Barnsley losing yesterday pretty much ends their automatic promotion chances and as such when here they will not be taking many risks with possible injuries/suspensions with the playoffs in mind
And anyway Peterborough play Bolton last match of the season so one of both will drop points making life a little easier for us
They, Barnsley are more likely looking over their shoulders making sure they don't fall out the play offs.

I'd take a draw at Bolton and win at home to Barnsley.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

Stop worrying!

Sky Bet League One Promotion 23/24
Portsmouth. 1/250.
Derby. 1/4.
Bolton. 4/5.
Peterborough. 11/8.
Barnsley. 4/1.
Lincoln. 7/1.
Oxford. 9/1.
Blackpool. 50/1.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

Also:

Odds on being Champions.
IMG_2133.png
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

New Forester wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:19 am Stop worrying!

Sky Bet League One Promotion 23/24
Portsmouth. 1/250.
Derby. 1/4.
Bolton. 4/5.
Peterborough. 11/8.
Barnsley. 4/1.
Lincoln. 7/1.
Oxford. 9/1.
Blackpool. 50/1.
In September I put a bet on for us to win the league at 9/1. They are currently offering me 88% of the potential winnings to cash out.

They seem pretty convinced the title is heading to Fratton.

The signs were there back then we had some hope of doing well this season!
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

I’m a great believer in statistics. A simple look at the table tells that the most likely ending is Pompey as Champions. But we know that there is still a chance for us to blow it - but unlikely.
Walnut Whip
Collins Mbesuma
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Walnut Whip »

There’s no question that you’ll go up as champions and to be fair you deserve to but spare a thought for Wanderers and ease off next Saturday, you can spare the 3 points. 😁
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

Nice one!
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Walnut Whip wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:10 pm There’s no question that you’ll go up as champions and to be fair you deserve to but spare a thought for Wanderers and ease off next Saturday, you can spare the 3 points. 😁
Only if you can guarantee we will win the league. Two of Pompey, Bolton or Derby County will go up this season which will mean League One will be bereft of two big clubs. At least one big club needs to be in League One next season to keep the interest of the other clubs in the league. Iam sorry to say to you that I think that will be Bolton but if your team manages to overturn the points deficit then I think you will deserve your place. Good luck anyway and I hope we will see you in the Championship in not the near future. Of course you could still join us through the Play Offs though.

That is excepting the Bolton fan I worked with once who maintained that Pompey "stole" the FA Cup and 'cheated' their way through the Premiership with financial irregularities. He thought we should be chucked out the league and he hoped the club would fold. I never saw him when your club went through similar problems but I am glad a famous old club survived, in both cases.
Walnut Whip
Collins Mbesuma

Post by Walnut Whip »

I well remember your tough time Walter and as glad you came through it. I’ve always seen Pompey as a “proper” club with proper, genuine fans just like our own in many ways. Of course we have one or two dipsticks like the one you refer to but I think every club has some of those. I’m obviously hoping for a win on Saturday, especially if Wycombe can at least hold Derby on Wednesday but it will be tough, you’re where you are on merit and whilst I can’t guarantee anything I think it would take a monumental failure for you not to at least go up and probably as champions. We won’t catch you whatever our result and I don’t think Derby will either though they have had considerable good fortune recently with a flukey win against us and a ref who robbed Reading against them the other week. Whatever happens we could still both be playing each other next year one way or the other so I’ll hope for that, neither of us should be stuck down here as we have been. Other than Wednesday good luck for your remaking games and on going up as champions. 😁
Walnut Whip
Collins Mbesuma

Post by Walnut Whip »

Walnut Whip wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:15 pm I well remember your tough time Walter and as glad you came through it. I’ve always seen Pompey as a “proper” club with proper, genuine fans just like our own in many ways. Of course we have one or two dipsticks like the one you refer to but I think every club has some of those. I’m obviously hoping for a win on Saturday, especially if Wycombe can at least hold Derby on Wednesday but it will be tough, you’re where you are on merit and whilst I can’t guarantee anything I think it would take a monumental failure for you not to at least go up and probably as champions. We won’t catch you whatever our result and I don’t think Derby will either though they have had considerable good fortune recently with a flukey win against us and a ref who robbed Reading against them the other week. Whatever happens we could still both be playing each other next year one way or the other so I’ll hope for that, neither of us should be stuck down here as we have been. Other than Saturday good luck for your remaking games and on going up as champions. 😁