The end of ifollow

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 157 times

The end of ifollow

Post by Pompey55 »

Just had a email updating the situation regarding ifollow being discontinued after this season I do hope for the many posters on here who use the service that the club will find another avenue for streaming games as otherwise the only option is Sky or Now tv subscription
Add into the factor that Sky will be moving 6 championship games a weekend seems football with fans present is being sacrificed to that almighty who gives a monkey's about fans organisation Sky
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Re: The end of ifollow

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Unfortunately, though sky is a necessary evil for a lot of clubs. It would be interesting to see a trial of what would happen if the 3pm curfew was removed.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

International streaming remains through I-Follow and domestic audio (my only legal option at present).
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Sky succeeded in screwing football years ago.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 226 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:06 am International streaming remains through I-Follow and domestic audio (my only legal option at present).
If that`s the case I shall visit Italy or France on my VPN and continue with IFollow
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:06 am International streaming remains through I-Follow and domestic audio (my only legal option at present).
That is not my recollection of the recent announcement. The club have said that the i-Follow contract will finish at the end of this season. Following the new Sky deal, the club are looking at alternatives and will make an announcement later.

Here is the reference from the December 2023 Andy Cullen video:

"When asked if Pompey had any plans to move away from the existing iFollow service to set up their own digital operation, Cullen told viewers of his latest Q&A on the club website: ‘Yes we do. We’re currently coming to the end of the agreement with EFL Digital who provide the iFollow services.

‘The business model for the EFL has changed as a few more clubs have started to develop their own channels going forwards, so the current business model as it were, which basically provides the club with free websites and free streaming will disappear and those clubs who chose to remain with the EFL will have to pay a fee going forward so it’s the right time for us to look at all our different options."

Watch this space...
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Leon T.
Collins Mbesuma
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Leon T. »

To add to the above, this is what Andy Cullen and Mark Judges said at February's TGFC meeting:

Q: What’s the status of iFollow for next season?

AC: The club is currently part of the EFL Digital collective, but that contract comes to an end at the end of this season. The current business model is no longer viable for the EFL, and so the arrangements as currently exist will stop. We have a decision to make – one option is to stay and buy into the new EFL model, but there may be certain advantages to leaving and going our own way. We’re going through a tender process at the moment, which would look at the digital provision for our website and app, as well as a streaming platform for live matches.

MJ: If we do choose to step away from the collective, it will give us a great chance to offer more to supporters. We’ll have more flexibility to add our own helpful elements to the website, as it will no longer be a frame worked ‘out-of-the-box’ product.

AC: iFollow will no longer exist for domestic supporters, but the option to purchase and watch live games will be available on a new Sky app. They’ll be able to show all midweek and bank holiday games, as well as every game from the opening and closing weekends. We will still be able to offer a streaming service for international fans for every fixture, and we will develop our own streaming platform to do so. That gives us the opportunity to set up own channel. There are a lot of companies tendering for that. We’ll complete that process fairly shortly so that it’s ready in time for the new season. One benefit from going independent is that we could stream pre-season friendlies for example, which would be another good source of revenue. An important thing for fans to be aware of is that the new TV deal will materially affect kick-off times. Two games each in all three EFL division will be played at 12:30 and 5:30 on Saturdays. Fans will receive a much longer notice periods of schedule changes, and we will need to be transparent with season ticket holders about this when they buy for 2024-25.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Milton End wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:15 pm
That is not my recollection of the recent announcement. The club have said that the i-Follow contract will finish at the end of this season. Following the new Sky deal, the club are looking at alternatives and will make an announcement later.

Here is the reference from the December 2023 Andy Cullen video:

"When asked if Pompey had any plans to move away from the existing iFollow service to set up their own digital operation, Cullen told viewers of his latest Q&A on the club website: ‘Yes we do. We’re currently coming to the end of the agreement with EFL Digital who provide the iFollow services.

‘The business model for the EFL has changed as a few more clubs have started to develop their own channels going forwards, so the current business model as it were, which basically provides the club with free websites and free streaming will disappear and those clubs who chose to remain with the EFL will have to pay a fee going forward so it’s the right time for us to look at all our different options."

Watch this space...

https://www.efl.com/how-to-watch/ifollow-and-streaming/
Copnor Blue
Collins Mbesuma
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Copnor Blue »

If this means more content can be made by the club (which generates revenue for us), then fine. If it’s simply to further line the pockets of the likes of Sky it’s hugely disappointing.
Sky will now dictate enough games ko times and the impact that has on travelling fans is huge - let alone the local fans with families or logistical troubles in getting to games that aren’t 3pm on a Saturday.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Copnor Blue wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:14 pm If this means more content can be made by the club (which generates revenue for us), then fine. If it’s simply to further line the pockets of the likes of Sky it’s hugely disappointing.
Sky will now dictate enough games ko times and the impact that has on travelling fans is huge - let alone the local fans with families or logistical troubles in getting to games that aren’t 3pm on a Saturday.
Absolutely agree if we go up next season statistically every alternate game will be moved so forget about fans at the game just take 40 pieces of silver from sky to benefit armchair supporters and their profit
Copnor Blue
Collins Mbesuma
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Copnor Blue »

Pompey55 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:02 pm
Copnor Blue wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:14 pm If this means more content can be made by the club (which generates revenue for us), then fine. If it’s simply to further line the pockets of the likes of Sky it’s hugely disappointing.
Absolutely agree if we go up next season statistically every alternate game will be moved so forget about fans at the game just take 40 pieces of silver from sky to benefit armchair supporters and their profit
Is there currently have a ticket exchange anywhere for people that buy tickets but can’t go and get re-sold for face value? I can foresee plenty of ST holders or match day members that buy tickets in advance being stung by the KO time changes for tv. For those that can’t attend because of these reasons it would make sense to have something like this.

It’s a shame that legislation in the UK prevents teams from being able to provide fans with a viewing platform for games between set times. Matches are able to be seen all over the world apart from here. It’s pure greed and power from Sky.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Copnor Blue wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:55 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:02 pm
Is there currently have a ticket exchange anywhere for people that buy tickets but can’t go and get re-sold for face value? I can foresee plenty of ST holders or match day members that buy tickets in advance being stung by the KO time changes for tv. For those that can’t attend because of these reasons it would make sense to have something like this.

It’s a shame that legislation in the UK prevents teams from being able to provide fans with a viewing platform for games between set times. Matches are able to be seen all over the world apart from here. It’s pure greed and power from Sky.
There is a ticket exchange already season ticket holders can list their ticket and get £5 towards next season's ticket for each seat sold
However I understand that Sky must pick all matches until FA cup third round before the season starts so we should get plenty of notice
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 70 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I believe the ticket exchange service only comes into effect once games are 'Sold Out'?