Ipswich

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 55 times

Re: Ipswich

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Blue Walter wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:54 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:41 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:55 pm They haven't spent crazy money by championship standards. They posted losses of £18 millon the season they got out of league one though.
They posted losses of 12 million the year before plus much like our own owners an increase in shares (equity) of 14 million
So as they had no real expenditure on infrastructure as we had they have spent a total of 44 million to get here they are
Wage bill on its own in 2021/22 was 16 million almost 40% more than our income for that season
Their wage bill for 2022/3 was close to 20 million
Is that not crazy money for league one ?
Their is no way we could replicate that on income alone with our current capacity
Apparently, by Championship standards, they have spent a fraction of what most successful Championship teams spend this last season. However, they basically built their team the season before but their spending by League One standards was enormous. They still done well though considering they were competing with teams that wealthy due to parachute payments.
Guess what Walter, I am going to disagree with you .....

not really, totally agree, they spent big in league one, basically bought a championship team in league one. Their strikers must run into double figures
Whilst I think that McKenna is a very very good manager, I was annoyed by the gushing pundits who all said that they had got out of league one and then straight through the championship all on him improving players. Whilst he has undoubtedly made the players, and the style of play and tactics way better than it was, they have invested very very heavily alongside that
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 135 times

Re: Ipswich

Post by Blue Walter »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:53 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:54 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:41 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:55 pm They haven't spent crazy money by championship standards. They posted losses of £18 millon the season they got out of league one though.
They posted losses of 12 million the year before plus much like our own owners an increase in shares (equity) of 14 million
So as they had no real expenditure on infrastructure as we had they have spent a total of 44 million to get here they are
Wage bill on its own in 2021/22 was 16 million almost 40% more than our income for that season
Their wage bill for 2022/3 was close to 20 million
Is that not crazy money for league one ?
Their is no way we could replicate that on income alone with our current capacity
Apparently, by Championship standards, they have spent a fraction of what most successful Championship teams spend this last season. However, they basically built their team the season before but their spending by League One standards was enormous. They still done well though considering they were competing with teams that wealthy due to parachute payments.
Guess what Walter, I am going to disagree with you .....

not really, totally agree, they spent big in league one, basically bought a championship team in league one. Their strikers must run into double figures
Whilst I think that McKenna is a very very good manager, I was annoyed by the gushing pundits who all said that they had got out of league one and then straight through the championship all on him improving players. Whilst he has undoubtedly made the players, and the style of play and tactics way better than it was, they have invested very very heavily alongside that

I think it is fair to say that Ipswich had been building a Championship team for two seasons before they went up, and spending a lot of money in the process. I also think it is fair to say that the players they bought were beyond most League One clubs but these players weren't necessarily all of ready made Championship quality. This is where Mckenna has earned all the kudos by turning them into a Championship team in League One, and then improving these players to become good Championship players with their potential they had. This is why I think he is getting all the applause for doing. With the amount of money he had to spend and the type of player he could bring in he built a team that no League One team could get near and, obviously, too good for the Championship.