O/T (S4W) In August 2003...

This one is all for Chaaaarity - Not 'arf mate.
Any fundraising or information on your fave charities goes here. Also, any Board get-togethers like The Christmas Bash.

Moderators: Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, General Mods

No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

O/T (S4W) In August 2003...

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

... I put a post on the BBC 606 boards which, ultimately, led to 12 posters (6 Pompey fans and 6 Saints fans) coming together to put on the Smile4Rich Fun Day at Hamble. We invited secondary schools in Portsmouth and Southampton to nominate pupils to play in two charity football matches, one for boys and one for girls. Almost 60 took part, playing in kits supplied by the two clubs, and a great day was had by all. That event could not have been staged without the efforts of the 12 guys who came together to make it happen, and the £16,000 plus that was raised was, in effect, the founding block upon which the Smile4Rich and, more recently, Smile4Wessex Appeals were built.

This July will see the 10th anniversary of the death of then 15-year old Rich Bowler, so on 7th July 2012 we'll be staging a very special event to commemorate his passing and to raise funds for the Smile4Wessex Children's Neurosciences Centre Appeal. It will again be staged in Hamble, this time at Hamble Sports Complex, but rather than being centred on football, it will feature five different sports - running, swimming, cycling, rowing and a basketball 'shoot-out'. Rather than limiting it to Portsmouth and Southampton schools, we're inviting over 200 schools throughout the Wessex region to each nominate up to two students to represent them at this event.

We have secured a major sponsor, Petchey Leisure, and the event will be promoted via a massive radio campaign on Wave 105FM. In short, this could be a huge event for the charity, both in terms of potential funds raised and, equally importantly, in raising the profile of Smile4Wessex. With entry numbers capped at 250, and with each entrant expected to bring family/friends along to cheer them on, the logistics involved in organising and staging the event will be equally huge.

If any of you would be interested in giving up your time on 7th July to assist with marshalling the event, or if you could or you know of someone who might be able to help with the likes of signage, printing of programmes, running a BBQ or Hog Roast, providing medals/trophies, providing rowing/cycling machines, supplying PA system(s), acting as timekeepers for the various events, etc, then please PM me.

It will be hard work, for which you won't get paid, but I promise you'll feel good for having been a part of it.

Cheers!

PS> Dear mods, if this could be stickied for a few days then moved to the charity section I'd be grateful :thumb
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 1 time

Re: O/T (S4W) In August 2003...

Post by Pompski! »

I was there in 03. My brother was in the Pompey team. Really inspiring day. Can't believe it was 9 years ago. :shock:
I am me, the universe and you.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Pompski! wrote:I was there in 03. My brother was in the Pompey team. Really inspiring day. Can't believe it was 9 years ago. :shock:
Yep, time flies...
Simon
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Simon »

Proud to be 1 of those 1st 12 and will be available on 7th, sorry I did not reply earlier but I have been away. Will try and get some more people from Hamble to Help. Have you got a link to the day on S4W web site please?

Regards Simon
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Simon wrote:Proud to be 1 of those 1st 12 and will be available on 7th, sorry I did not reply earlier but I have been away. Will try and get some more people from Hamble to Help. Have you got a link to the day on S4W web site please?

Regards Simon
Hi Si

That's great, thank you mate. Full details will be announced on the web site by the end of next week. As soon as the page is live I'll post a link here. Appreciate your support mate. Let's hope we can make it as memorable a day as it was in 2003.
Lindford Saint
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Lindford Saint »

Hard to believe that what started as an idea for a football match between fans to promote friendship prior to the long awaited South Coast derby in December 03 would snowball so quickly to culminate in the fun day at Hamble. I will always remember that weird feeling of anticipation before walking into the first meeting at The Ship in Swanwick to meet people face to face for the first time.

From that initial fun day and the raising of £16,000, how good was that!!!!, we now have the fantastic S4W charity today thanks in no small part to alot of you on this MB and plenty of others around the region. However, there is only one person who should take the plaudits and he knows who he is.

Proud to have been one of the original 12 and from that have made some good friends, both red and blue. I would encourage anyone who can spare some time to get involved, yes it will be hard work but I am sure there will be a great camaraderie, just like the first time, despite our allegiance to different football teams.

Now is there a football match coming up??????

PS: Count me in Neil.
Paid to drink beer, lie on a beach, see the world and the Queen trusted me. Bargain!!!
Simon
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Simon »

Well said Lindford
Lindford Saint wrote:Hard to believe that what started as an idea for a football match between fans to promote friendship prior to the long awaited South Coast derby in December 03 would snowball so quickly to culminate in the fun day at Hamble. I will always remember that weird feeling of anticipation before walking into the first meeting at The Ship in Swanwick to meet people face to face for the first time.

From that initial fun day and the raising of £16,000, how good was that!!!!, we now have the fantastic S4W charity today thanks in no small part to alot of you on this MB and plenty of others around the region. However, there is only one person who should take the plaudits and he knows who he is.

Proud to have been one of the original 12 and from that have made some good friends, both red and blue. I would encourage anyone who can spare some time to get involved, yes it will be hard work but I am sure there will be a great camaraderie, just like the first time, despite our allegiance to different football teams.

Now is there a football match coming up??????

PS: Count me in Neil.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Thanks Linny, good to have you aboard.
formerly known as
Kev the Kitman

Post by formerly known as »

Blimey, that long ago....

I raise a glass to you all, here and gone.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

For those in its broadcast area, the promo campaign for the event starts next Monday on Wave 105 FM.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Hi Mods, can someone shift this over to the charity section, please. Cheers!