From the Snooxe (Thursday)

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

stefeni
Interim Manager

From the Snooxe (Thursday)

Post by stefeni »

ADMINISTRATORS for the firm that owns the land surrounding Fratton Park have quashed claims it had been sold.Reports had emerged that the Portco consortium interested in buying the club had bought the land owned by Miland Development 2004 Ltd – which was placed in administration in July.

But Glyn Middleton, of administrators David Rubin and Partners, told The News: ‘It’s not true – there has been no sale.

‘We were appointed as administrators a few months ago and there have been negotiations going on for some time now.’

Michael Appleton has warned he will have to be ruthless once again if the shackles are not removed from his squad size.And this time it may involve axing one of his injured players.

The on-going takeover situation ensures Pompey remain in administration, while adhering to a 20-player squad restriction.

At present, the Blues have reached that limit – but among them exist three players currently sidelined by injury.

They consist of Josh Thompson (ankle), Luke Rodgers (thigh) and Darel Russell (hamstring).

The trio are expected to remain unavailable for a week at the very minimum.

The likelihood is it could be considerably longer.

Appleton is loath to lose any of the three – who have made 19 appearances between them so far during the campaign – but, effectively, they are taking up precious spots.

The Blues boss is aware it is a decision which may be forced upon him in the near future in the interests of the club.

Back in August it was mutually agreed to cancel the contract of Kieran Djilali just two weeks into a month-long deal over the need to bring in other players.

In addition, regular central-defender Kevin Long was surprisingly sacrificed last month after picking up an injury, with Appleton declining to extend his loan.

It is a ‘horrible’ scenario Appleton does not even want to contemplate at present.

But he realises if squad restrictions continue for another week he may well be forced to act on those monthly contracts.

The boss said: ‘Ask me what I am going to do about the injured players in a week’s time.

‘It is not right to let players go, it shouldn’t be happening.

‘People cannot really judge you because what else can you do?

‘If you are forced into a corner you have got to come out fighting and the only way you can come out fighting is upsetting one or two people.

‘I don’t want to be put into that position and that is why the people running the football club can help.

‘It depends if takeover stuff gets sorted out. I understand there is a process but during that we still might be able to get a bit of help and still might be able to sign players.

‘All I am saying is I don’t want to be put into that position – but I might have to.

It’s horrible, morally it isn’t right, I know that. The situation is difficult but I feel like I have been doing that every single week since the season started.’

Such are the limitations of the 20-man squad, Appleton can’t even consider promoting one of his younger players.

The number juggling is an on-going headache for the Blues boss.

And he longs for the day when he can focus on other managerial aspects.

He added: ‘When you have got this 20-player ruling you find yourself getting obsessed with it. You keep staring at your squad on a board.

‘I can fine-tune it, look at who might be available and ask if I have to sacrifice someone to bring him in. That’s a real horrible part of it.

‘An example would be driving home on Saturday after Scunthorpe. I should be thinking “great result, bit of a relief there”.

‘But I am thinking “can I do that, can I afford to do that if he’s not fit, is Gabor going to be fine?”’

For the time being, Akos Buzsaky remains on the Pompey leash.But Michael Appleton has assured the Fratton faithful they will get a glimpse of the new arrival within the next week.

The Hungarian international was on the bench during Tuesday night’s win over Yeovil, after joining on Monday.

Having been allocated the number 17 shirt, he was one of four unused substitutes.

Many had been hoping for the ex-QPR man to be given a cameo as excitement levels grow following his signing.

Buzsaky’s arrival has clearly captured the imagination of Pompey fans.

With three games over an eight-day period coming up, however, Appleton has pledged he will be given a run out soon.

‘I think Yeovil was a difficult game to just throw Akos in and the way the game was panning out I just didn’t think it was right,’ said Appleton.

‘We have got three games next week with a cup game midweek as well, so he’s going to get an opportunity to get plenty of football over the next few weeks.

‘You have got to realise he has only had a couple of weeks training since last season and played 70 minutes of a behind-closed-doors game.

‘So to throw him in would have been irresponsible by me because he probably would have picked up an injury.’

Pompey travel to MK Dons on Saturday, followed by the visit of Wycombe in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy on Tuesday.

The Blues then host Crewe on Saturday, October 13.

Meanwhile, one player who was given a rare appearance against Yeovil was Johnny Ertl.

The Austrian was named in the centre of midfield in place of the injured Darel Russell.

It was only his third appearance – and second start – since joining as a free agent at the very end of August.

With Russell still missing with a hamstring problem, the 29-year-old is now in the frame to retain his place against MK Dons this weekend.

And Appleton was delighted with his Huish Park performance in a more natural central-midfield role.

The Blues boss added: ‘Johnny is an experienced player who has played a lot of games in this country for various clubs.

‘We knew once he got up to pace and his fitness levels improved then he would give us that quality in there.

‘He gives us something a bit different in the middle of the park in that he is defence-minded at times, always thinks worst-case scenarios and the attacking he does is to support.’

Michael Appleton reassured Adam Webster over his England career and promised: Your chance will definitely come.The Pompey defender has been the subject of three requests by the Football Association to link-up with the under-19s.

His most recent came two weeks ago before the trip to Notts County.

As with two previous call-ups last season, Appleton was forced to block the 17-year-old joining up with England.

Concerns over the Blues’ squad size and the need for Webster to be considered for selection in forthcoming matches saw his manager step in on each occasion.

It leaves the West Wittering youngster still without an international appearance at any level.

Appleton has every sympathy with Webster, who has now started the last two Pompey matches, earning the man-of-the-match award against Yeovil on Tuesday.

And he is adamant the starlet will one day still go on to represent his country at under-21 level at the very minimum.

He said: ‘Adam will play for one of the young England teams, whether it’s under-19s, under-21s, whatever.

‘I have got absolutely no doubt about that because he is in and around it now and has been recognised and is good enough to do it.

‘I would just love to be in a position where I could allow him to be a young international.

‘I am in contact with Noel (Blake) and the people at England and they understand the position we are in.

‘It’s not as if we are saying “no” and he is nowhere near the team or not even in the squad or on the bench and not even looking like coming on.

‘If that was the case then I would have no problems.

‘Even if it was one of our development group players and England wanted him then there would be no issues with that at all.

‘But because it is a kid and we are where we are, Adam is going to have to play a lot of football.

‘That is the third time now Adam has either been on standby or called up.

‘But because of where this club has been over the last 11 months I have been here, he has not been able to go.

‘So the actual football club has put him in a position where he has not been able to be an international player.’

Webster was moved over to left-back to face Yeovil.

In turn, that allowed Mustapha Dumbuya to return to right-back, with Jon Harley pushing up into the left-hand side of midfield.

The youngster didn’t let Appleton down, producing a superb display.

And his Pompey boss was also delighted with his showing.

He added: ‘Adam was good against Yeovil.

‘At times you wouldn’t think he was 17, although I thought he really tired towards the end.

‘In the last 10 minutes or so he was making a couple of poor decisions but that was down to tiredness more than anything and nothing to do with his ability.

‘He has stood up and been counted at the minute.

‘I don’t want to keep asking a 17-year-old to play but in the short-term period, until we can get something sorted out, we might have to.’
In transition to the real me, Currently on hold after surgical review until I loose 10kg anyone got a hiding place for it :-) hopefully will be fully the true me now in 2017.