From the Snooze (Tuesday)

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

stefeni
Interim Manager

From the Snooze (Tuesday)

Post by stefeni »

Pompey are eyeing Oldham keeper Alex Cisak to replace Mikkel Andersen.Andersen is set to start in goal against Leyton Orient tonight, before returning to Reading upon the expiry of his 93-day loan spell.

It leaves Guy Whittingham needing to obtain a replacement ahead of the emergency loan window which ends on Thursday.

The News understands Cisak heads his short-list of goalkeeping targets.

Alternatively, Pompey’s caretaker boss could decide against bringing in a second stopper and instead rely on Simon Eastwood in his 20-man squad.

Yet the preference remains to recruit another keeper, with Cisak in the frame.

Polish-born and raised in Australia, the 23-year-old was a regular for Oldham last term, making 47 appearances.

The former Accrington Stanley keeper featured in the Latics’ 1-0 Fratton Park win earlier this season.

However, contractual issues have ruled him out of Paul Dickov’s side since mid-September.

Whittingham, who brought Ricardo Rocha back to Pompey yesterday, is remaining tight-lipped over the identity of his targets.

It looks like it will be a busy end to the window for Pompey, though.

Whittingham said: ‘We have got a couple lined up to replace Mikkel, but they are in the stages of “will clubs let us or won’t they let us?”

‘However, they are lined up ready to come on loan when he does go back.

‘I want experience. We are fairly quiet as a team and need someone who is going to talk to the back four and organise a little bit.

‘You would also want them to have an idea of what this league is about because a lot of teams do get balls into the box.

‘The higher you go, the better the players and the more they attack centrally.

‘Whereas, there are a lot more balls being crossed in from wide areas in this league.

‘The question has also been asked whether we go out and find another striker or another defender – or do we get a goalkeeper?

‘God forbid if we didn’t and Simon (Eastwood) gets injured.

‘But do we take that risk? It’s something we’ve been talking about and assessing.’

Eastwood has made four appearances for Pompey this season. And Whittingham has been impressed since his summer arrival from Halifax.

He added: ‘If we don’t get one immediately then I have no qualms about putting Simon in there.

‘His attitude is fantastic. Ultimately, I will take advice from (goalkeeping coach) John Keeley on how they are doing because we see bits and pieces and he works with them solidly every day.’

Meanwhile, Pompey winger Andy Higgins has mutually agreed to leave and return to Australia.

The 18-year-old featured in the opening game of the season against Plymouth.

Guy Whittingham has no qualms about throwing Ricardo Rocha back into action against Leyton Orient.Rocha yesterday completed his Pompey return in time to feature at Fratton Park against Orient tonight.

The 34-year-old has been without a club since being released by former Blues boss Michael Appleton in the summer after joining Pompey in 2010.

But with Carl Dickinson returning to Watford after his loan spell came to a close, Whittingham has moved quickly to recruit Rocha’s services.

The defender will be on the bench for tonight’s clash, despite not playing since the 2-0 defeat at Nottingham Forest in April.

Whittingham insists he will not have any reservations about turning to the Portuguese ace if necessary.

He said: ‘Ric’s a great character and it’s great to have him back at the club once again.

‘He’s been training with us and is good around the place. We need him involved straightaway. He’s such an experienced player, he knows his own body.

‘He feels very fit but isn’t match fit.

‘Physically, as far as running is concerned, he’s looked after himself and is in good shape.

‘He’ll be on the bench for the game and, if the scenario came that he needed to go on, he can do that.

‘When you need to dig in to get results, he’s someone you can rely on.

‘So he’s on the bench and willing to come on if he needs to come on.’

Whittingham believes Rocha’s return brings the kind of experience and competition for places in the middle of defence that Pompey have been missing.

He said: ‘Ric’s adaptable. He’s played left-back and plays left centre-half.

‘It’s good, though, because we need the competition.

‘At the moment we have two centre-backs who don’t have competition.’

Paul Benson reflected on his Pompey arrival and warned fans: I’m no straight replacement for Wes Thomas.The 33-year-old made his Blues debut against Doncaster Rovers on Saturday after arriving on loan from Swindon.

Caretaker boss Guy Whittingham sees Benson as the ideal striking foil to bring out the best in Izale McLeod.

Pompey haven’t scored since Thomas returned to parent club Bournemouth five games ago, following a successful loan stint.

During their brief time together, he and McLeod netted nine goals in seven matches between them.

Coincidently, Benson regularly played with Thomas during the 2009-10 season at Dagenham & Redbridge.

Now Whittingham is hoping the experienced striker can get the goals flowing again, with the Blues next in action against Leyton Orient tonight.

But Benson knows he has a contrasting style to the player whose boots supporters are looking for him to fill.

He said: ‘I’ve played with Wes and I’m totally different to him.

‘We were at Dagenham & Redbridge for more or less a full season together. I know about Wes, I know how he did here and I know how good a player he is.

‘Back then I played up front with him and that worked really well because he was the short, quick guy and I’d win the headers and he would get on to them.

‘It’s unfortunate for Pompey that Bournemouth have called him back.

‘It was a classic big man, little man partnership and he would work off my flick-ons. I would hold it up and he would be the man to buzz around the box.

‘I’ve played against Izale a few times and always been on the wrong end of him scoring goals, so I know all about him.

‘He has a bit of pace about him.

‘Hopefully we can get something working with enough hours on the training ground and we’ll get to know each others’ games.

‘With Izale, he also likes to play high up the pitch on the last shoulder.

‘I try to come in a little deeper to get the ball and bring the wide men into play and hopefully we can get that going.

‘I only met him for the first time on Thursday and thought it worked quite well on Saturday, bringing the wide men into play and getting a lot of crosses in.

‘We just didn’t have anyone on the end of them and that is something we will work on on the training ground.

‘We need to get players getting into the right areas, starting tonight against Leyton Orient.’

Benson scored 12 goals in 26 games for Swindon last term as they secured promotion to League One.

This term his appearances have been restricted to just six league starts, scoring once.

Now the Blues have offered him an initial month of regular football in a bid to solve their own goalscoring crisis.

Benson has an outstanding record in the lower divisions of the Football League with Dagenham, Charlton and Swindon.

It’s a pedigree which Whittingham is banking on solving a goals crisis which is now in its 489th minute.

And Benson admitted he would consider remaining at Fratton Park should his time prove fruitful.

He added: ‘If the opportunity comes about to be able to extend the loan or try to make something permanent then that would be great.

‘But first of all I have got to prove that I am good enough to play for this club.

‘Hopefully I can get off the mark very soon.’

Pompey are running the rule over Martin Devaney.The winger yesterday linked up with the Blues on trial following his summer release from Tranmere.

The 32-year-old is a friend of skipper Brian Howard, after the pair both played together at Barnsley.

That connection paved the way for a chance for him to impress at the Blues’ Eastleigh training base.

Caretaker boss Guy Whittingham is planning to have a close look at the player, who also made more than 200 appearances for Cheltenham, over the next couple of weeks.

Whittingham said: ‘We’ve got a lad called Martin Devaney in, who is looking for a club.

‘We’ll have a good look at him over the next couple of weeks.

‘He was in for the first time yesterday.

‘He was at Barnsley with Brian Howard and Cheltenham, as well.

‘So he’s got experience and experience in this league.

‘He plays mainly wide and that’s his favoured position.’

Whittingham said he is already thinking about the moves Pompey will need to make when the January transfer window opens.

He is hoping the club will then be in a position to make additions with their future clearer off the pitch.

Whittingham said: ‘With January in mind, you bring in people and have a look at them.

‘We’re in a situation where, come January, we might need to get some players in.

‘So there’s no harm in inviting people in to have a look at them.’

Meanwhile, Pompey’s young Aussie midfielder Andy Higgins has left the club.

The first-year pro has been released from his contract early and has returned to his homeland, where he is expected to link up with A League outfit Perth Glory.

Higgins made his only first-team appearance for Pompey in the 3-0 league cup defeat at Plymouth in August, where he produced a decent display.

Whittingham believes it is a move which suits all parties.

He said: ‘Andy Higgins has gone now.

‘He’s gone back to Australia and has the chance to play for Perth Glory.

‘That’s good for him and hopefully it works out for him that he’s left his contract early.

‘He’s a talented guy and maybe going somewhere else might give him the kick up the backside to get going and make a career out of the game.’

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing is adamant there is more of the same to come from him following his eye-catching Pompey debut.The 20-year-old turned in a man-of-the-match performance against Doncaster Rovers on Saturday.

It was an instant impact from the youngster, who joined on a month’s loan only last Thursday.

His strong running and direct wing play was a bright spot to emerge from a depressing sixth defeat in a row for the Blues.

Mendez-Laing will keep his place for tonight’s visit of Leyton Orient.

And he’s desperate to keep proving his worth to Pompey fans.

He said: ‘I thought I did well on Saturday.

‘That’s my game – getting the ball and getting at defenders – and hopefully I can keep doing that.

‘It’s not really any good if we are not going to win or score, so I need to either try to score or create.

‘I tend to usually get the ball in the box if I can’t beat the player and try to get a shot off myself. I did that a few times, too, on Saturday.

‘I think you saw on Saturday, I like to get the ball, take on defenders, get crosses in the box and cut inside.

‘With the ball at my feet I am a creative player.

‘I would say I’m more likely to take the defender on, but if I see someone else in a better position then obviously I will look to set them in.

‘I think I did well against Doncaster, to be honest.

‘Getting man of the match was a buzz as well and I’m happy with that.’

Mendez-Laing arrived at Peterborough from Wolves only in the summer. Yet it swiftly turned sour at London Road after he was found to have breached club discipline and told he had no future at the club.

‘I was at Wolves and still had a year left on my contract,’ added Mendez-Laing

‘The aim was playing first-team football and, with a new manager coming, I didn’t really want to risk not being in the team.

‘Peterborough put a bid in for me for the second year running and I thought I would go.

‘I went there and had a hamstring injury, but when I came back I did well. For some reason I got dropped and things haven’t been too well from there.

‘I just needed to get out and play some games.’
In transition to the real me, Currently on hold after surgical review until I loose 10kg anyone got a hiding place for it :-) hopefully will be fully the true me now in 2017.