From the Snooze (Monday)

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

stefeni
Interim Manager

From the Snooze (Monday)

Post by stefeni »

POMPEY still face a ten-point deduction should fans take over at Fratton Park, the Football League has confirmed.The football authority today said it has received details of the Pompey Supporters’ Trust takeover proposal to gain control of the club.

It said two outstanding points need to be resolved between the Football League board can consider the trust’s application – the outcome of the High Court hearing and the trust raising the remaining funding in its business plan.

The league said the board re-affirmed its decision to deduct the club of ten points once the club is taken over and a range of restrictions on playing budgets and future borrowing for the next four seasons.

In a statement, a Football League spokesman said: ‘The Football League Board has received details of a proposal by Pompey Supporters’ Trust (PST) and its partner investors, to acquire the assets and certain liabilities of Portsmouth Football Club.

‘Having considered the proposal in detail, the Board concluded that it had significant merit.

‘However, two outstanding points will have to be resolved before the Board can fully consider PST’s application to become the new owner of Portsmouth Football Club.

‘They are the outcome of the current High Court proceedings relating to the ownership of Fratton Park and PST raising the remaining funding from supporters that is anticipated in its business plan.

‘The Board also confirmed that on-going membership of The League would be subject to a number of conditions that seek to ensure the sporting integrity of league football and the financial viability of the Club going forward.

‘It therefore re-affirmed its earlier decision that these conditions would include a deduction of ten points (applicable at the point of transfer of share) and a range of other restrictions on playing budgets and future borrowing for the next four seasons.’

Meanwhile the Pompey Supporters’ Trust says it is ‘very pleased’ the football league has shown confidence in its bid.

In a statement, trust chairman Ashley Brown said: ‘We are very pleased the Football League has shown confidence in our bid by endorsing our proposed membership. This is a highly significant moment for the club.

‘We have always argued that Pompey needs a community-led solution and we are very pleased the league shares our confidence in our ability to turn the club around.

‘Thanks to the backing of our fans and our individual investors we have a robust business plan, which the league has endorsed.

‘We now need fans to back us financially to ensure our club survives. This is a landmark moment on the road to rehabilitating the club and we now need everyone who can to buy a share or convert their pledge as soon as possible. this will ensure we are in a strong financial position prior to the court case.’

He added the trust is ‘disappointed’ over the league’s re-affirming of the points deduction.

Guy Whittingham reveal-ed his Pompey players have taken a leaf out of the fans’ book and declared: Our spirit is back.The caretaker Blues boss saw his side twice fall behind at League One leaders Tranmere Rovers but then hit back to scrap for a 2-2 draw.

While questions have been asked of the team’s character in recent times, there was no doubting the fighting spirit at Prenton Park.

And they were backed to the hilt by another large vocal following who made the long trek north.

Whittingham said: ‘Let’s face it, we needed a bit of the spirit the fans have shown.

‘They came up in their numbers and they were excellent again.

‘When you look at the hard times we have had – to be averaging about 12,000 for every game and to get a good away following again, the lads are seeing that.

‘They realise the spirit the fans are showing will do the players well on the pitch.

‘They can show the same thing. So it’s pleasing when we have gone behind twice, we have come back.

‘It shows the players are up for the battle ahead.

‘It was summed up for me when Jake (Jervis) scored his goal. The substitutes were all sprinting up the line to congratulate him.

‘That really shows there is a spirit building here.’

Pompey are now unbeaten in two matches, although they have not tasted victory since a 3-1 win over Shrewsbury nine games ago.

And Whittingham is keen to see the revival continue next weekend.

‘If we get a victory against Preston next weekend, you could look back and say that this is the foundation for us,’ he said.

‘It’s okay coming away and getting draws but would we have preferred one win and one defeat because we’d have got one more point?

‘Having said that, we’ve come back from goals down in both games, so we’re pleased with that.

‘It’s a point and it’s a good point.

‘It will be a great point if we win our home game against Preston next week.’

Whittingham also admitted everyone at the club will be watching events at the High Court closely this week. With a valuation for Fratton Park set to be determined on Thursday and Friday, the Portsmouth Supporters Trust could take a giant step towards completing their proposed takeover.

He said: ‘It’s the biggest thing on our mind.

‘We will be concentrating on the game at the weekend first and foremost but we will have in mind what is going on there.

‘We will get on with the football side of things because we can’t control anything.

‘It will be a relief when it’s over.

‘We’re hoping that the end game is very close and then we can start planning properly.

‘But who knows what is going to happen?’

Jake Jervis revealed his post-goal celebration at Tranmere was to silence the Prenton Park boo boys.Jervis earned Pompey a point after leaving the bench in Saturday’s 2-2 draw with the league leaders.

His classy finish arrived seconds after the home side had gone 2-1 up.

Jervis danced a jig of delight with Blues players and staff and showed the name on his shirt to Tranmere fans.

That was after they booed him following a stint on loan at the club, which ended last month for the 21-year-old.

Jervis said: ‘It was a good finish and I was happy to score.

‘I instinctively hit it and was glad to see it go in.

‘I was getting a bit of stick on the sidelines, so that’s why I went over like I did.

‘There were a few fans giving me stick and I got a bit on Twitter as well.

‘I concentrate on what’s taking place on the pitch when the game is going on.

‘But when I scored I thought I’d give them a bit back!’

Jervis entered the fray with 24 minutes left to make his impact.

That was all part of the game plan implemented by Guy Whittingham and Andy Awford.

Jervis said: ‘We wanted to get at them when we could.

‘We’ve worked hard on shape.

‘It was about staying solid and getting at them.

‘It worked and we could have won it in the end.

‘The manager spoke to me in the week about what he wanted to do.

‘I was ready to come on and do what I could do.

‘I knew I was coming on and I was ready.’

Brian Howard surveyed the gutsy draw at leaders Tranmere and vowed: The belief is back.The Pompey skipper told supporters the confidence is flowing into his team’s ranks after twice fighting back to claim a 2-2 draw at Prenton Park.

Howard pinpointed the influence of the Blues’ caretaker team of Andy Awford and Guy Whittingham in building a sense of spirit and unity in the camp.

The 29-year-old feels the team are responding to the framework being implemented by the duo when it came to the side’s organisation.

Howard can also see plenty of threat in all areas of Pompey’s 20-man squad.

Now he is calling on the team to build on the momentum being created by picking up a win against Preston on home soil next weekend.

Howard said: ‘We’ve shown character in the past two games.

‘After the run we’ve been on it would have been easy to concede and let our heads go down.

‘That never happened, though, and we showed character.

‘We’ve shown good character to pick up two good away points.

‘But they are only good points if you follow them up with wins at home.

‘That’s what we need to do moving forward. We’ve got a bit of a team spirit going now.

‘We’ve got our 20-man squad, a bit of shape and a way of playing.

‘We’re nice and organised and we have people who come off the bench and can be threats.

‘So if we’re organised and can stay in games, especially away from home, we have players who have magic in them who will allow us to kick on.

‘We know what Guy and Awfs want.

‘Now we have to put it right on the pitch.

‘They are battering stuff into us and they are giving us confidence.

‘There are positive signs there now.

‘We look more organised and have that bit of resilience.

‘Now we need to take that on and have that bit of quality in the final third to turn these away draws into home wins.

‘That’s how you build up points and get up the league.’

Howard feels there is no doubt Pompey benefited from having a week without having a game to prepare for.

That allowed Whittingham and Awford time to get their ideas across before attentions turned to the trip to Tranmere.

The former Barnsley and Millwall player feels Pompey reaped the rewards of that preparation on Saturday.

Now the test is to build on the confidence gained, going into a critical and busy festive period.

Howard said: ‘The last two weeks have given us some time on the training ground and time to do extra fitness work.

‘There’s been a lot of organisation, especially defensive shape. We look more solid.

‘Apart from set pieces they really didn’t have a lot of chances.

‘Now we have to take that into a home game and play some good stuff at home.

‘So we have to get our heads screwed on now and work hard towards getting a result against Preston.’

Simon Eastwood took a big step towards nailing down his place as Pompey’s number one goalkeeper with two terrific saves in the 2-2 draw at Tranmere, according to boss Guy Whittingham.The 23-year-old had little chance with either Tranmere goal.

But his first-half stop from Andy Robinson was top class as he tipped over a powerful drive that was destined for the top corner.

The former Halifax man perhaps even bettered that save in the dying minutes as he stayed big and made an excellent block to deny Liam Palmer as he bore down on goal in a gilt-edged one-on-one opportunity.

Aside from his safe handling and competent kicking, that performance should now see him given a chance to prove himself as the number-one keeper at the club.

Whittingham said: ‘I was very pleased with him.

‘It was a great save at the end.

‘When you get towards the end of a game, sometimes people get tired and can have a lapse of concentration but he didn’t.

‘He kept his concentration excellently and really kept us in the game in the last five minutes.

‘He also made one good save in the first half and then kept us in it when it mattered.’

Having come in for his first appearance since the 1-0 home defeat to Brentford back in November, Eastwood looked assured and confident throughout the contest.

But even after an impressive display, he will know himself that he has not yet established himself as the number-one goalkeeper after Pompey brought in the unattached Phil Smith this week to provide competition.

And Whittingham is keen to see that battle for selection push both players on to greater heights.

Whittingham said: ‘Eastie has trained hard all season and he’s got that spot at the moment but he will have to play well to keep it because we’re really pleased with Phil Smith.

‘It’s all about having that competition for places again.

‘Players are showing the right attitude to fight for their place and even though we have a small squad, there is some competition for places now.’
In transition to the real me, Currently on hold after surgical review until I loose 10kg anyone got a hiding place for it :-) hopefully will be fully the true me now in 2017.