Monday Moan

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

Monday Moan

Post by Miss Tickle's bottom »

A motoring moan today.

You're on a dual carriageway, it's fairly busy but the traffic is moving. You're in the outside lane. The driver of the car in the inside lane, let's call him George, suddenly wakes up and decides he needs to overtake the car in front. Instead of waiting patiently for a gap in the outside lane, he just flicks on his indicators and expects to be let out. I always thought indicators were to show what you were about to do, not what you hoped to do. Silly me. Anyway, George isn't the object of my ire, Harry is.

Harry is the driver of the car in the outside lane who lets George pull out. Sometimes Harry will even brake, so keen is he to let George pull out. A message for you, Harry: what the ****** are you doing in the outside lane if you don't intend overtaking?
Last edited by Miss Tickle's bottom on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
formerly known as
Kev the Kitman

Re: Monday Moan

Post by formerly known as »

I'm going for people that interview the quick basket checkout staff in supermarkets...

Interviewer - You've a basket with a few items in.. What should you do?

Prospective staff member - slowly look at every item, questioning the customer on what they're using it for, it that fails, talk needless uninteresting *****...

Interviewer - when can you start.
formerly known as
Kev the Kitman

Post by formerly known as »

Or find the person that keep going in to my account and ruin their life.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Its still winter...
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Pompski! »

Those who use the Favourite function on Twitter to "like" a status.

It is there so you can compile a list of Tweets you want to view again later, not as a like function.
I am me, the universe and you.
Farmers Boy
Kev the Kitman

Post by Farmers Boy »

Motorists who don't indicate when turning.
Motorists who indicate only AS they turn.
People in supermarkets who block the aisle with their trolley
People who, when looking for their child swing around in a circle whilst holding onto their trolley.
Car alarms.
Folk who leave their yapping, whining dogs outside supermarkets for hours.
The Co-Op between 5 and 7 on a Saturday
The Co-Op at any other time
The Post Office, who seem to feel that offering "A wide range of services" doesn't in some small way mean that their service has become a fekkin joke.
People who take 20 minutes to check their account details at the ATM.......
Don't Mistake Kindness For Weakness.
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Pompski! »

Aah, yes the Post Office counter. The slowest queue in the world.

It may be the case in other places but in Cambridge there is a post office where you go in and are confronted with a touchscreen. You click on what service you want (post a parcel, get pension etc) and it issues you a numbered ticket and wait your turn. Apparantly in streamlines the service depending on demand. very clever and works well. I wish my local PO would use it.
I am me, the universe and you.
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by phat_chris »

On duel carriageways when there is an endless queue of cars in the overtaking lane, no more than 1-2 car lengths between them and nothing in the inside lane for miles. What a pain in the **** for anyone actually using the inside lane who suddenly needs to overtake.

Agree that the lack of use of indicators has become such an issue on the roads, but I've started to see cars indicating and then doing something completely different. As far as people not indicating on roundabouts goes, I tend to pull onto the roundabout if they don't indicate to turn right, even if I am fairly certain that they will come round.

Another annoyance is people approaching a motorway on a sliproad. That dotted line at the end means that you have to give way to traffic already on the motorway. You do not have the right to simply pull out and expect vehicles to take evasive manoeuvres to avoid you.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Farmers Boy wrote: Motorists who indicate only AS they turn.
Or indicating too early.....I've seen a number of idiots put their left indicators on to come off a roundabout but they have gone past the exit and taken the next one....or even the one after that....their left indicator on all the way around! Cars pulling out of the first one have had to slam on their brakes thinking the car was coming off the roundabout ffs.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Farmers Boy
Kev the Kitman

Post by Farmers Boy »

Pompski! wrote:Aah, yes the Post Office counter. The slowest queue in the world.

It may be the case in other places but in Cambridge there is a post office where you go in and are confronted with a touchscreen. You click on what service you want (post a parcel, get pension etc) and it issues you a numbered ticket and wait your turn. Apparantly in streamlines the service depending on demand. very clever and works well. I wish my local PO would use it.

I reckon it's a tie between the PO and Co-Op.....does the Co go out of its way to recruit staff who by and large resemble nothing so much as goldfish, blearily regarding the world through thick glass and dirty water?
Farmers Boy
Kev the Kitman

Post by Farmers Boy »

Earl Grey wrote:
Or indicating too early.....I've seen a number of idiots put their left indicators on to come off a roundabout but they have gone past the exit and taken the next one....or even the one after that....their left indicator on all the way around! Cars pulling out of the first one have had to slam on their brakes thinking the car was coming off the roundabout ffs.
Forgot about those idiots.....and since when did motorists stopping at a zebra crossing become an optional nicety, one that you now feel obliged to acknowledge and mouth the words 'thank you' ?
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Pompski! wrote:It may be the case in other places but in Cambridge there is a post office where you go in and are confronted with a touchscreen. You click on what service you want (post a parcel, get pension etc) and it issues you a numbered ticket and wait your turn. Apparantly in streamlines the service depending on demand. very clever and works well. I wish my local PO would use it.
Slindon Street has it.

My gripe is motorists who approach a normal "3 choices" roundabout with their right hand indicator on, and then go straight on. I truly don't understand why.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
WMatty
Milan Mandaric

Post by WMatty »

Farmers Boy wrote:
Earl Grey wrote:
Forgot about those idiots.....and since when did motorists stopping at a zebra crossing become an optional nicety, one that you now feel obliged to acknowledge and mouth the words 'thank you' ?

Simple politeness?
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Well at least here in the UK cars do allow pedestrians over on zebra crossings.

As my French mate said 'In France we only have them so the ambulances know where to stop'
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
itsaintfunny
Mick Channon
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by itsaintfunny »

People who come in to work when clearly ill and cough and sneeze all over me and bistro's in Petersfield who bugger off in mid afternoon when you turn up with newspaper , mobile and a cheery Watcha Squire just to wind them up [ and enjoy the food too which apparently is very good if the place was ever open ]