O/T: BTG - NAS drives or personal cloud ?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 66 times

O/T: BTG - NAS drives or personal cloud ?

Post by RubiconCSL »

I have for a while been thinking of getting a NAS drive (network attached storage), so I can put all my mp3s and films etc. on it and share them all - especially as I now have a Sonos system set up. I don't like the idea of trusting companies such as dropbox with my files and don't want to spend money every month on a subscription, but a NAS drive doesn't allow me to acess it from outside the home. However, now there are a number of offerings for a "personal cloud" - I guess it's like a NAS drive, but also with software to allow it to be accessed while away from home. So, a cross between NAS and cloud - without having to shell out a monthly rental.

Has anyone got one setup? What did you go for and why? What did it cost?

Ta.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Re: O/T: BTG - NAS drives or personal cloud ?

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Yeah....just seen the personal cloud ads myself and also highly interested for the same reasons.
Minimal research on my part but it seems to be a device you can auto download select files to and give access to outside users via password protection. I don't think anything is really secure so keep yer copies of Lesbian Prison Bitches I-XII on the discs.
Div III. Call it what it is.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

Cool - I only have Lesbian Prison Bitches I-IV in my collection. Maybe I can download the rest from your personal cloud when you have it setup :) Do they get any better after IV?
The Cincinnati Kid wrote:Yeah....just seen the personal cloud ads myself and also highly interested for the same reasons.
Minimal research on my part but it seems to be a device you can auto download select files to and give access to outside users via password protection. I don't think anything is really secure so keep yer copies of Lesbian Prison Bitches I-XII on the discs.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Well, tbh it was all pretty much same old same old other than the truck of oddly shaped fruit in episode 6 and the discovery of a cache or riot truncheons in episode 10
ddavis
Kev the Kitman

Post by ddavis »

I use Mozy for backup (free for a couple of GB)

Got a QNAP Nas for storage (with WD 3TB Red drives in)

Personal Cloud is a sham. Especially the iOmega ones.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

ddavis wrote:I use Mozy for backup (free for a couple of GB)

can you elaborate on that dd?
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Post by This Time Next Year »

I have a 2 drive Netgear NAS box.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/ ... D2000.aspx

It's cracking for using around the house. As far as I was aware you can VPN into your network and access the NAS box remotely from another device, or even a tablet/smartphone.

I've not set it up though for myself though as personally the security/convenience balance for me fell on the side of not letting it access the internet.

Thought it was a fairly standard feature of most NAS boxes actually, surprised you think otherwise...
Last edited by This Time Next Year on Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ddavis
Kev the Kitman

Post by ddavis »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:
ddavis wrote:I use Mozy for backup (free for a couple of GB)

can you elaborate on that dd?
Sorry, was in a rush :D

Most personal cloud isn't actually cloud. Cloud seems to be a word that has changed meanings... It is supposed to mean a vast distributed network of machines (or in this case storage) that work independently of another - meaning a catastrophic hardware failure on one does not impact your service. However, it's starting to mean "on the internet".

The iOmega personal cloud devices either push your files to Amazon EC2 (which is cloud, but it's no different to using Mozy) or they allow external access to the device (which isn't cloud, it's just an open port).

WD MyCloud isn't cloud. It's your NAS with access to the internet, so you can access it remotely. But it's not cloud. If it ***** itself, it's dead. It should be called WD Access Online.
past memories
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 2 times

Post by past memories »

How about Google Drive ?
ddavis
Kev the Kitman

Post by ddavis »

past memories wrote:How about Google Drive ?
It's ok, but it's google. So don't be shocked if shortly after storing a photo of your cat you suddenly get lots of Whiskas paid ads when surfing the web...
past memories
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 2 times

Post by past memories »

ddavis wrote:
past memories wrote:How about Google Drive ?
http://thepompeychimes.net/forum/images ... rgreen.gif
It's ok, but it's google. So don't be shocked if shortly after storing a photo of your cat you suddenly get lots of Whiskas paid ads when surfing the web...
This is `Past Memories` posting, not Jasper. :smt003
Ronald Dinlo
Milan Mandaric

Post by Ronald Dinlo »

I've got a Synology Diskstation NAS, I can log into it and grab files from anywhere with a web connection. I use apps to access it from idevices to listen to music / watch movies. Hardware was relatively cheap, but the two 3Tb drives bumped the price up a bit
you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole..
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

None seem to be that cheap. The seagate and WD options get mixed reviews. Synology and DLink get good reviews, but are not cheap. It's a pity the Seagate only has USB 2.0, as uploading a lot of files initially is going to take weeks!

I think for now, I'm going to go for Amazon Cloud, just for my music. £21.99 per year allows 250,000 tracks - which should do me and it works a dream with Sonos (I tried the free option with upto 250 tracks to check). Then I can do my usual in-depth investigation before I take the plunge with a NAS solution. Amazon isn't too expensive for cloud space either to be honest.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

I listen to music most of the day at work, but am limited to what I can and can't connect too. As a result I've started paying for GoogleMusic, I've uploaded a few of my rarer tracks and some live sets I cant find on GoogleMusic. This influenced by move to an unlimited data contract too, so i can listen to music on the go aswel, and this set up has been nicely rounded by investing in a decent pair of headphones, not those god damn awful Beats.

Admitedly this doesnt really answer the question, but I was looking at a NAS and opted for this due to my requirements.
ddavis
Kev the Kitman

Post by ddavis »

RubiconCSL wrote:None seem to be that cheap. The seagate and WD options get mixed reviews. Synology and DLink get good reviews, but are not cheap. It's a pity the Seagate only has USB 2.0, as uploading a lot of files initially is going to take weeks!

I think for now, I'm going to go for Amazon Cloud, just for my music. £21.99 per year allows 250,000 tracks - which should do me and it works a dream with Sonos (I tried the free option with upto 250 tracks to check). Then I can do my usual in-depth investigation before I take the plunge with a NAS solution. Amazon isn't too expensive for cloud space either to be honest.
Amazons cloud is not only excellent, but it's also very well priced.

Everything on http://aws.amazon.com/ is pretty cool :D