Someone please confirm

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

dickinson
Gary O'Neil

Someone please confirm

Post by dickinson »

Is it true that AA was given as a bare minimum target, the attainment of reaching a play off position this season? The reason I ask is because I have heard that potential player targets for next season have already been agreed, along with player budgets. AA would have to be party to those agreements. Therefore, I would assume that AA is in his job next year. I have mixed views on this, I hope he learns from the mistakes he has made this year. Ainsworth seemed to. It would certainly dispel any prospect of any managerial change over the course of the summer.
To accept ones ignorance is a great step towards an education - Abraham Lincoln
dickinson
Gary O'Neil

Re: Someone please confirm

Post by dickinson »

Did anyone either hear this on Express FM or know if it is true?
To accept ones ignorance is a great step towards an education - Abraham Lincoln
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

I still fail to see a reason to dismiss Awford from the job. This bizarre principle of 'sack him because we didn't make the playoffs/get promoted' is ridiculous. Success is achieved in degrees. There is no deadline for promotion, no dire consequence for playing another year in League Two. As much as I would like to us see us up sooner rather than later, we'll get it right when we get it right. For those worrying about attendances dropping, we survived seventeen consecutive seasons in the second-flight with many gates lower than we're getting now. When we get it right, they'll come flocking back like they always do.

Consistency seems to be the biggest factor for success at this level, or to be more precise - a lack of it is what keeps the good teams under-performing. Changing managers again because he didn't bring about instant success, does not generate a positive consistency. Its like tearing everything up and starting again. Awford is learning, but he's continually improving. A little too slowly for some, but as long as we're taking more steps forward than back, I see no reason for change.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
The Beautiful Game
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by The Beautiful Game »

What Weybridge said.
We spent a long time in the lower divisions in the past. We may need to build gradually. We might lose some supporters for a little while but first sniff of a promotion and they'll come flocking back claiming lifelong loyalty to the club.
“To say that these men paid their shillings to watch twenty-two hirelings kick a ball is merely to say that a violin is wood and catgut, that Hamlet is so much paper and ink"
JB Priestly 1929
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

The Beautiful Game wrote:What Weybridge said.
We spent a long time in the lower divisions in the past. We may need to build gradually. We might lose some supporters for a little while but first sniff of a promotion and they'll come flocking back claiming lifelong loyalty to the club.
Depends on if you mean old div 4. 2 seasons only. We went from div 4 to div 2 in 3 seasons. The lower league occupency from 76-79/80 was down to Deacon & his idea's of boom & bust+ crazy managerial appointments, he finally struck lucky with Burrows thankfully.
WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Post by WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey »

& arguably (as, or more) lucky again with Bobby Campbell (did wonders in the transfer market too)

Dillon & Morgan bought to clinch Div 3 title, then gets current England U21 striker in Hateley for knock down price (amongst others).
Bloke who does Rubi's Fantasy League. SEE LATEST TABLES HERE: PREM,CHAMPS & now the CUP
Here comes AFC
Alan Knight

Post by Here comes AFC »

We spent a long time in the lower divisions in the past.
No we didn't.

We had 4 seasons in div 3 after joining the league
We were in div 3 in 61/62
Then our worst spell was 76-83 when we were in div 3 & 4 for seven seasons

So this spell outside the top two flights started in 2012 and barring miracles will be at least 5 seasons long. Assuming we don't get promoted this season this has become our longest ever spell at the bottom level
The Beautiful Game
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by The Beautiful Game »

Here comes AFC wrote:
We spent a long time in the lower divisions in the past.
No we didn't.

We had 4 seasons in div 3 after joining the league
We were in div 3 in 61/62
Then our worst spell was 76-83 when we were in div 3 & 4 for seven seasons

So this spell outside the top two flights started in 2012 and barring miracles will be at least 5 seasons long. Assuming we don't get promoted this season this has become our longest ever spell at the bottom level
Ok I stand corrected
I started going regularly early to mid 70s. So a hell of a lot of my youth was spent watching us between 76-83 and when your younger 7 seasons seemed like a lifetime.
“To say that these men paid their shillings to watch twenty-two hirelings kick a ball is merely to say that a violin is wood and catgut, that Hamlet is so much paper and ink"
JB Priestly 1929
Pompey Gary
Milan Mandaric

Post by Pompey Gary »

Whether from a business or a sporting perspective, success is beneficial. Pompey's owners must strive to achieve realistic targets and for Pompey in league 2 that is most definitely getting promotion. I guess we're expecting Awford to be in charge next season but if they aren't on the pace within the first half of the season then the board shouldn't really have any qualms about giving him the boot.
Weybridge wrote:I still fail to see a reason to dismiss Awford from the job. This bizarre principle of 'sack him because we didn't make the playoffs/get promoted' is ridiculous. Success is achieved in degrees. There is no deadline for promotion, no dire consequence for playing another year in League Two.
I admire your Corinthian spirit but with respect I'm very glad you're not on the board. :wink:
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Pompey Gary wrote:Whether from a business or a sporting perspective, success is beneficial. Pompey's owners must strive to achieve realistic targets and for Pompey in league 2 that is most definitely getting promotion. I guess we're expecting Awford to be in charge next season but if they aren't on the pace within the first half of the season then the board shouldn't really have any qualms about giving him the boot.
Weybridge wrote:I still fail to see a reason to dismiss Awford from the job. This bizarre principle of 'sack him because we didn't make the playoffs/get promoted' is ridiculous. Success is achieved in degrees. There is no deadline for promotion, no dire consequence for playing another year in League Two.
I admire your Corinthian spirit but with respect I'm very glad you're not on the board. :wink:
I'm not sure I'd give him the summer. Our problems all stem from building a new side almost every year in my opinion. I've seen very little from Awford to suggest he is the man to do this.

Don't forget he apparently turned Tubbs down in the summer. Other than Robinson and Dunne who of his signings have really made a positive impact?
Here comes AFC
Alan Knight

Post by Here comes AFC »

Weybridge wrote:I still fail to see a reason to dismiss Awford from the job. This bizarre principle of 'sack him because we didn't make the playoffs/get promoted' is ridiculous. Success is achieved in degrees. There is no deadline for promotion, no dire consequence for playing another year in League Two. As much as I would like to us see us up sooner rather than later, we'll get it right when we get it right. For those worrying about attendances dropping, we survived seventeen consecutive seasons in the second-flight with many gates lower than we're getting now.
We were bankrolled for those seasons.

Now we don't have a sugar daddy and, anyway, are playing in a league where wages are capped to 60% of income. At the moment we have a huge advantage over the teams around us (last I heard only 3 clubs in League 2 have a wage bill higher than ours). If we let gates slip, so does income, so does the quality of players we can sign/keep in the squad.

Realiistically Wallace is already on his way because there is no way of matching offers within the rules. Others will follow down that road.