Bah humbug: 0v1 Wimbledon

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Bah humbug: 0v1 Wimbledon

Post by WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey »

Early goal, came off Chorley whilst we were still adjusting our sock tops.

A few chances for either side. (Actually chance count - on target - about level)

Four changes, team:

Jones; Devera, Nosworthy (Westcarr 72), Chorley (c); East, Dunne (McCallum 65), Wallace, Hollands (Fogden 77), Kpekawa; Taylor, Tubbs

Newboy Kpekawa gave a scare by limping off in the warm-up but took his place.

We're 12 points clear of relegation, but 9 off the play-offs (can't think about winning last 2 games, would be 3 points off them) Usual story, not enough quality, seems also we concentrated on big Akinfenwa, but gave others more space.

McCallum missed a relatively easy late header which could've rescued a point. "Not our day". I wondered if Awfs was bluffing when he said that 3-5-2 would be the way we play to the end of the season.

At some point (being very mid-table), we may as well try players for extended periods (e.g. Fogden, Atangana). Taylor & Tubbs means 2 up front, but are there variations (other than 4-4-2) to play with both in side? Maybe a 4-3-1-2 - with Wallace as the '1'? Awfs chucked on both sub strikers in a virtual 4-2-4, but although we did have a couple of late chances, it didn't happen.

But not out of it yet, possibly still a little early to 'chuck towel in' on the season? Having said that, we're still (generally) not creating enough chances away from home (other than *that* game).

Our results have been 'ok' - but are there many fans of the 3-5-2? (except for when Redknapp played it, but then we had the players - and he abandoned it for the Prem anyway - too attacking - well *his* version anyway). :smt017
Bloke who does Rubi's Fantasy League. SEE LATEST TABLES HERE: PREM,CHAMPS & now the CUP
blue architect
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 22 times

Re: Bah humbug: 0v1 Wimbledon

Post by blue architect »

According to radio that was the worst performance this season. I have seen a few - too many to be honest. will be interesting to read the other reports of the match.

So this begs a question. If you are a season ticket holder (as I am) have you seen enough entertainment this year to renew?
I have got to be honest here and state that on several occasions I have felt cheated of my Saturday afternoon by sitting and watching dross at the Park. And no, I'm not a fair weather supporter - all those left when we dropped out of Championship. I just have other things that I may enjoy more on a precious Saturday not at work.

Debate and persuade me.......
THE TRICORN - BRUTAL ARCHITECTURE
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richisbradders »

I would say we simply have to get promoted next year, a good playoff attempt may be acceptable but for a team our size, with our support more than 3 years in this league just isn't good enough.

I will get a ST next year again though, I will be moving close to pompey too so will have the evening games also.
POLPERO99
Martin Kuhl

Post by POLPERO99 »

Have to agree with everything thats said. We are a very average side and will finish .............Dead Average mid-table if we are lucky .

I went today , being up here in the Smoke , and if ever there was a game that showed our inability to turn up and win a game this was it.

Again - Its 4 points from a possible 9 - very , very average. We have to be better than this next season surely.

That good feeling in the camp that AA keeps telling us about might be true but there is seriously something else missing.
Leo says You Make Me Feel Like Dancing " Well , Only when Ime Pissed at Weddings "
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

blue architect wrote:According to radio that was the worst performance this season. I have seen a few - too many to be honest. will be interesting to read the other reports of the match.

So this begs a question. If you are a season ticket holder (as I am) have you seen enough entertainment this year to renew?
I have got to be honest here and state that on several occasions I have felt cheated of my Saturday afternoon by sitting and watching dross at the Park. And no, I'm not a fair weather supporter - all those left when we dropped out of Championship. I just have other things that I may enjoy more on a precious Saturday not at work.

Debate and persuade me.......
That was nowhere near our worst performance of the season, but certainly our worst for quite a while.

And as for talk of not renewing your season ticket, rinse your mouth out with soap son!

Just off out with Mrs Selsey so will do a report at some point tomorrow, or add to anyone else's
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

What's the truth about that own goal?

This is the view on Sky Sports - http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... -wimbledon?

"Pompey defender Ben Chorley grabbed the only goal of the game, but it came at the wrong end as his wild swing from a Craig Tanner cross ended up going into this own net."

Is that a fair reflection of what happened? (I can't wait for the Football League Show)
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richisbradders »

He showed so much promise intially old Chorley. Or maybe we were just that terrible when he joined.
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

richisbradders wrote:He showed so much promise intially old Chorley. Or maybe we were just that terrible when he joined.

Very true. Not sure how Chorley went from being the factor that tightened up a leaky defence to total liability in such a short space of time.
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
Fratton End Exile
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Fratton End Exile »

We were rubbish, end of report.
Vince
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Just seen the goal on Football League Show.

Looks like we were all over the place...totally disorganised. Come back, Robbo.

...as for Chorley taking a wild swing at it to clear it - less said the better.

Shame Webster wasn't there instead.....

.....and Butler for that young loaned lad.

The future is the youngsters.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.