Back from the Shrewsbury game

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Back from the Shrewsbury game

Post by Selsey Bill »

Well, that was dreadful. We were poor last week, but today we were made to look even worse by a Shrewsbury team that is the best in the league we've seen, without a doubt. They were so superior to us in every single department and if they had won by 4 or 5 goals it would have been no surprise, or injustice. They didn't really even look like they had got out of 2nd gear for most of the game.

Strangely, we actually started very well and forced a corner within the first minute or two, and but for a brief spell of pressure early in the second half, that was as good as it got for us. The performance was as flat as the crowd today, or should it be the other way round, with the biggest cheer of the afternoon going to the muppet of a linesman in front of the north lower. He made three shocking decisions in the second half, one where their striker was at least 3 metres offside(but not given), and I am not exaggerating!

In his infinite wisdom, Awford decided to stick with the same starting 11 that were so woeful last week against Wimbledon. Does he ever learn anything? Surprise, surprise > the same poor players from last week were just as poor this week. When I tell you that Joe Devera was my man of the match, that probably tells you all you need to know.

In truth, Jones didn't have much to do, and both their goals from Bobby Grant were excellent strikes. I thought it was a tad unnecessary for him to goad the Fratton End with his celebrations after the second though. Our back 3 miss Robbo and Whatmough more than you could ever imagine, especially Robbo. Nosworthy was worse today than last week, so all his talk in the press this week about getting better was rather hollow! Chorley was Chorley. I really don't rate him at all, and don't want him in our team next year. I'd play Ertl all day long ahead of him-at least Johnny cares. And please bring back Webster, whatever some of his critics think.

Our midfield were absolutely creamed by theirs today for pretty much the whole 90 minutes. Why, oh why, Awford persisted with Kpekawa ahead of Butler is beyond me, and I suspect the other 14,500 Pompey fans. Danny East was having a very poor game before getting guess what? Injured yet again (yawn) - time to release I feel. I have a sneaking suspicion that AA may have played Passley today, but apparently Josh was 25 minutes late - unforgivable. Dunne did as well as he could but was out-muscled and overrun. Hollands was as sluggish as ever. I've been saying this for weeks, but he needs a rest, especially with Foffy and Atangana on the bench. And just when you think it is bad enough, Wallace probably had his worst game for us all season! Remember the last time there big press talk of him leaving? Exactly the same happened! If a cloud does have a silver lining, any scouts watching today would have gone back to their clubs wondering what all the hype is about. In fairness to Jed though, he now does need to move on to further his footballing career as we are going nowhere fast as we stand.

Taylor and Tubbs up front huffed and puffed but had so little service you can't blame them for the outcome. They were up against a very good defence indeed and Taylor in particular had a very tough afternoon up against their excellent centre backs, so it was no surprise when he was subbed.

So, we have 7 games left. I only hope Awford throws caution to the wind and plays some of the youngsters, and the likes of Atangana & Foggy. But please don't bring them on for 10 minutes at the end of a game. Start them FFS. Let's see what they are capable of.

Last Saturday I sensed a major shift in fans' opinions about Awford, including mine. Today's performance will have only cemented their feelings, and added a whole load more to the list of doubters.

Finally, about 20 ex-Pompey players came out onto the pitch at half time, including the likes of Alan Biley and Vince Hilaire. I hate to think what they thought of today's dross.

Awford out!!!!
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Re: Back from the Shrewsbury game

Post by Earl Grey »

Pretty much concur with that, SB.

What on Earth was Awford thinking about playing the same team?

Even at Wombledon it looked a risky thing to do.

Surely to cause the least disruption to the relatively successful run we've had he should've played:
Devera, Nosworthy and Webster as his back three with Passley and Butler as the wing-backs.

But no - we have wholesale changes in the hope that it'll magically come together!

What gets me is Awfs doesn't seem to see things that don't work.

In the Cheltenham game when Barcham got crocked and East came on, we looked much less capable up the right.
Then he took Webster off and all connection between the defence and midfield/attack disappeared and we ended up creating nothing further in the game.

Now we have Chorley, Nosworthy and Devera, all of whom struggle to connect the defence with the midfield/attack (although I thought Devera excelled in that department today compared to his usual standard).

As for the lad on the left, he is less effective than Butler.....OK it's only two games he's had but it's a slap in the face to Butler and wasn't really a necessary change.

To see the crowd leaving before the end means the club, in keeping Awford on, will turn out to have made a very, very costly error if most of those don't renew their season tickets.

We need a creative midfielder to augment the work Dunne does in winning the ball. Atangana is one who might fill the bill but I think we should push the boat out for real quality in this position next season.

I know most of this is what SB just said but I'm so upset that Awford just can't see when things don't work.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
dickinson
Gary O'Neil

Post by dickinson »

I left today feeling humiliated and embarrassed. I just do not see any signs of progress. I'm sorry to have say this, but I cannot see us reaching the play offs next season with AA as the manager of Portsmouth FC. He is out his depth, he needs to be honest with himself, the club and the fans, and resign immediately. Let someone come in who has a clue about what he is doing and restructure the playing staff and build a new team because this one is going nowhere.

This year I have seen no evidence of good organisation, no evidence of tactical nous, no evidence of good player selection just tinkering, no evidence of ambition or progress. No evidence of risk taking to go for the three points. He is not proactive he is reactive, his management style is enshrined in the worst form of management; crisis management. I would love to be proven wrong but I would even suggest that we are currently playing like a possible relegation candidate for next year.

Go now Andy for the sake of the club, go now with your legend status and integrity still intact.

That said I am hoping that there is a Eddie Howe, Sean Dyche type person seeking an opportunity to prove himself, are the Board able enough to find this person, on their current record the answer would have to be an almost certain big fat no.
To accept ones ignorance is a great step towards an education - Abraham Lincoln
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

dickinson wrote:I left today feeling humiliated and embarrassed. I just do not see any signs of progress. I'm sorry to have say this, but I cannot see us reaching the play offs next season with AA as the manager of Portsmouth FC. He is out his depth, he needs to be honest with himself, the club and the fans, and resign immediately. Let someone come in who has a clue about what he is doing and restructure the playing staff and build a new team because this one is going nowhere.

This year I have seen no evidence of good organisation, no evidence of tactical nous, no evidence of good player selection just tinkering, no evidence of ambition or progress. No evidence of risk taking to go for the three points. He is not proactive he is reactive, his management style is enshrined in the worst form of management; crisis management. I would love to be proven wrong but I would even suggest that we are currently playing like a possible relegation candidate for next year.

Go now Andy for the sake of the club, go now with your legend status and integrity still intact.

That said I am hoping that there is a Eddie Howe, Sean Dyche type person seeking an opportunity to prove himself, are the Board able enough to find this person, on their current record the answer would have to be an almost certain big fat no.
You're growing on me Dicko! The Eddie Howe's of the world don't grow on trees, ,but ..
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Back from the game report? Go and read what I wrote last week; same team, same outcome.

I am afraid that might be the last we see of Danny East playing for Pompey. I like him as a player, and think he will do well if he can ever keep fit, but I can't see Pompey investing in him again. Shame.

I didn't hear any announcement of the Pompey Man of the Match at the game. Did the sponsors refuse to pick anyone, or were they just too embarrassed to announce it?

Just one point on the Awford Out campaign. I think it is time that people started nailing colours to the mast, and telling us who they do want as manager, not just who they don't want. I was trying to come up with names whilst driving home, and couldn't decide on anyone who was realistic, competent and likely to be available. Maybe someone would like to start a new thread on this question.
pompeymick
Martin Kuhl

Post by pompeymick »

The Football Mail's headline should have been 'Blues are shamed' because saying 'tamed' meant there was something there to overcome. There is a malaise at Fratton Park with the big black clouds of Richie Barker's reign returning, Fortress Fratton is now Fragile Fratton with away sides coming here and being given the freedom of the pitch. Our Wagon Train system of defending must be ditched as we are unable to break out of defence at all until the ball has gone dead. The whole stature of the Pompey Squad needs to be addressed, we are basically wimps compared to opposing sides, they are stronger and fitter than us and much more organised. When we see a side from Shrewsbury with a gate of approx 5,000 produce a side that was worth supporting the question has to be asked, why can't we? Once again we have to suffer the ignominy of a lack lustre performance from a squad that mainly has no direction, passion or endeavour . Supporting Pompey has become a chore I could well do without and I suspect I am not alone in my depression. I believe that Andy Awford has found that dealing with men rather more daunting than dealing with boys, he has really never let go of his Academy ideals and that is where he is best suited. We need a Manager who can manage men, not boys.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Yesterday we played one of the best, if not the best team in the division. They outplayed us, we were missing several of our best team, the weather conditions were bad and we lost 2-0. The easy way is to talk about sacking the Manager. We all know the type of Players we are lacking, most would agree that we have the spine of a good team. Many Players are out of contract in the summer.However in terms of Management Structure do we really want to turn it on its head again. In my opinion No. Let AA recruit what we need to win this division!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote:Yesterday we played one of the best, if not the best team in the division. They outplayed us, we were missing several of our best team, the weather conditions were bad and we lost 2-0. The easy way is to talk about sacking the Manager. We all know the type of Players we are lacking, most would agree that we have the spine of a good team. Many Players are out of contract in the summer.However in terms of Management Structure do we really want to turn it on its head again. In my opinion No. Let AA recruit what we need to win this division!

I would have agreed with you several months ago, but not now. AA has proved that he doesn't have the ability to recruit, and as importantly, to effectively manage what he has recruited. He needs to go.
Here comes AFC
Alan Knight

Post by Here comes AFC »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote:Yesterday we played one of the best, if not the best team in the division. They outplayed us, we were missing several of our best team, the weather conditions were bad and we lost 2-0. The easy way is to talk about sacking the Manager.
It's been all season - not one game
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey Penguin wrote:
Just one point on the Awford Out campaign. I think it is time that people started nailing colours to the mast, and telling us who they do want as manager, not just who they don't want. I was trying to come up with names whilst driving home, and couldn't decide on anyone who was realistic, competent and likely to be available. Maybe someone would like to start a new thread on this question.
I have worked in recruitment for over 25 years and on many an occasion have been instructed to fill a vacancy where I have questioned the suitability of any of the candidates available registered with me or on my database. Advertising said vacancy has often attracted candidates who I had no idea were 'on the market' or who would be interested in the role.

If I was on the board, I would sack Awford tomorrow, put Gary Waddock in 'caretaker' charge until the end of the season and start looking for a proper replacement. Someone with a proven track record at this level. Let him decide who to keep and who to let go, and then let him recruit his own team over the summer. We have the budget and we have the pulling power to attract the calibre of players capable of getting us out of this league.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Pompey Penguin wrote:Back from the game report? Go and read what I wrote last week; same team, same outcome.

I am afraid that might be the last we see of Danny East playing for Pompey. I like him as a player, and think he will do well if he can ever keep fit, but I can't see Pompey investing in him again. Shame.

I didn't hear any announcement of the Pompey Man of the Match at the game. Did the sponsors refuse to pick anyone, or were they just too embarrassed to announce it?

When we recruited barker there were managers with clubs who wanted to be part of the Pompey project to name two of the wilder & tisdale. So people would apply for the job but our board got giddy with Steve coppel coming too. So they were ignored would they apply avain?
Personally I wouldn't throw my hat in the ring again if I was them.
Purbrook Chimes
Kev the Kitman

Post by Purbrook Chimes »

It has been a wasted season, top of the table early on then we tinkered with the team and its been a downward progression since then with a ittle blip in February to keep us out of the relegation game. We have learnt nothing we either have to sack Awford or give him money to rebuild his team (but if that doesn't work then he's got to go)
Defence is struggling, I've never been a chorley fan why not Ertl? Midfield has been poor all year, individually they are good players but theres no plan , no creativity once the ball gets to Holland its passed back again. It really annoys me how we just keep going backwards. Yesterday for instance Wallace did well down the wing he put in a long cross over to Taylor so now our strikers have the ball in the final third so it was passed back to East now he has the midfield and the defence to beat!! Why! Then we have the need to just boot it up in the air for the taller opposition to win, again yesterday a high ball was won by taylor just in their half under pressure he managed to lay it off back to Chorley who's only though was to hoof it up in the air towards tubbs losing the ball all over again. While I'm on that why are we wasting money on loan players such as Kpecwa (or whatever it is) one good tackle and one cross in an entire game is hardly value for money. Also why sign Tubbs? The leagues top goal scorer , what's the point if you aren't going to give him the ball (sorry rant over)
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Purbrook Chimes wrote:It has been a wasted season, top of the table early on then we tinkered with the team and its been a downward progression since then with a ittle blip in February to keep us out of the relegation game. We have learnt nothing we either have to sack Awford or give him money to rebuild his team (but if that doesn't work then he's got to go)
Defence is struggling, I've never been a chorley fan why not Ertl? Midfield has been poor all year, individually they are good players but theres no plan , no creativity once the ball gets to Holland its passed back again. It really annoys me how we just keep going backwards. Yesterday for instance Wallace did well down the wing he put in a long cross over to Taylor so now our strikers have the ball in the final third so it was passed back to East now he has the midfield and the defence to beat!! Why! Then we have the need to just boot it up in the air for the taller opposition to win, again yesterday a high ball was won by taylor just in their half under pressure he managed to lay it off back to Chorley who's only though was to hoof it up in the air towards tubbs losing the ball all over again. While I'm on that why are we wasting money on loan players such as Kpecwa (or whatever it is) one good tackle and one cross in an entire game is hardly value for money. Also why sign Tubbs? The leagues top goal scorer , what's the point if you aren't going to give him the ball (sorry rant over)

I wouldn't give him another penny to spend. Let's not forget he turned down Tubbs in the summer for westcarr (who I happen to rate) now he can't even get a look in. Most of the current crop are his signings and yet they still don't turn up for him.

Everything about his management has been appauling.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey1985 wrote: I wouldn't give him another penny to spend.
I'm very firmly in your camp.
Fratton End Exile
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Fratton End Exile »

Yesterday was the first time ever that I went out of duty & not excited about the prospect of watching my team. We were woeful.
Every game the opposition appear to have more players than us. We can't find a pass so just lump it upfield & hope. The opposition always have a pass on & just wander forward unopposed & shoot. We don't close anyone down. In comparison we are constantly pressed & have to play the ball back to the defence to lump it forwards.
Andy needs to go, I loved him as a player but he just doesn't cut it as a manager.
Vince