Back from the Ipswich game

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Back from the Ipswich game

Post by Selsey Bill »

Well, what can I say? That was a proper cup tie, but I do have mixed emotions following that. As a Pompey fan I feel so proud of our club, yet absolutely gutted that we didn't win. Their equaliser was sickening, and before you all jump down Murphy's throat, he had made some excellent saves before their second goal. I've mentioned it on another thread already, but my immediate reaction was that Murphy was fouled. Sometimes they're given, sometimes they're not. I think his mistake looks far worse on the BBC highlights than it did live.

The Selseys arrived at about 12.30 after a drive that took less than two hours. We found a great little car park in sight of the ground (£5) and walked into the town centre to grab a bite to eat. I've never been to Ipswich before and I have to say I was very impressed by the town centre. You could tell immediately that it is VERY old, with some beautiful old buildings. What was obvious though was that we were not going to get served in any pubs. We tried the Wetherspoons, but like all the other pubs it had bouncers outside and signs up saying 'Home Fans Only'. There was, however, a Hog Roast stall in the market square and at £3.50 for a large bap with apple sauce and stuffing added, it did the job perfectly - delicious. Having wolfed that down we headed back through the town to the Station Hotel which we had discovered on Twitter was taking Pompey fans. It was rammed and we had to queue to get in, but once inside you could feel that the atmosphere in the ground was going to be electric. Everyone was on great form.

The short 5 minute walk to the ground reminded me of some great away days of the past, with hundreds of Pompey fans singing their way to the stadium. No disrespect to some of the clubs we are playing in L2 right now, but walking into Portman Road reminded me what we are missing. What a cracking stadium, though I was amazed it holds 30,000 until I tried to sit down. The leg room is very tight - thank goodness we were standing throughout.

The game kicked off with Ipswich taking immediate control, and for the first minute or two I thought this was only going to go one way. However, very quickly we started to take control of the game and we were passing it around like we were the Championship side. I'm not exaggerating when I say we could/should have been 2 or 3 nil up by half time, so great was our dominance. If it hadn't been for McNulty having left his shooting boots in the dressing room, we would have been. The half time whistle was met by boos from the home fans (who I have to say were very poor today) and elation from the Pompey fans. Surely they had to improve in the second half?

Well, they did, for a very short while. They did take the lead following a Brett Pitman shot that Murphy saved brilliantly but palmed into the grateful on runing Oar. Within 90 seconds we were level following some great play and a superb finish from Bennett who just keeps getting better and better. Our fans went mental. The Ipswich subs made a difference, especially Fraser and Sears, but in fairness to to our lads we looked the team who wanted to win it and it certainly wasn't against the run of play when we took the lead late on. Yet again, Conor Chaplin scores against a Championship side and what a well crafted and taken goal it was. Chaplin went mental, we went mental. Less than two minutes later they equalised. McGurk (I think) gave away a free kick in a dangerous position. Up steps Fraser with a Lampardesque free kick which we really should have dealt with but didn't. I'm not sure it should have even got as far as Murphy and I've told you what I think at the start. 2-2. Gutted. A real kick in the teeth, but we would have taken this before the kick off so let's not grumble.

With regards to the players, our whole team put in a tremendous shift and we played by far the more attractive football. Webster and Barton looked too composed and cool at times for my liking, especially the later, but they both had great games. Teams are going to come knocking for Webster if he keeps playing like this. Ben Davies had a bit of a hard time today, but Enda Stevens was immense again. If we do get promoted he is more than capable of playing in L1. Great to see Ben Close start today (Doyle was rested) - Ben had a great game, and Hollands alongside him was equally good. Hope Danny's injury is nothing serious. Bennett, McNulty and Roberts made up the attacking 3 in midfield. Roberts was excellent till he ran out of juice and Bennett was my MOTM AGAIN! He was fantastic today, and I am so pleased for him scoring that great goal. Hopefully, that will open the floodgates. As mentioned above, McNulty didn't have his best game for us, but he was still good and so glad we have him. His touch wasn't quite there today. I thought McGurk was OK, but Cookie should have replaced him earlier.

All in all, a fantastic all round performance. Looking forward to the replay already as it suits our style of play when a team like Ipswich push up so much. It gives our front 4 so much space, something we miss with so many teams we face in L2.
Last edited by Selsey Bill on Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Re: Back from the Ipswich game

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Many thanks SB.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Nice report, SB.

Those pubs turning away Pompey fans missed out on a big pay day but perhaps Pompey's rather murky past in terms fan trouble reputation came back to haunt us.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
1G18
Alan Biley

Post by 1G18 »

For some it never went away, I had to call the police to my train this evening as a group of fans returning from Ipswich started fighting, messing about with a fire extinguisher and interfering with safety equipment, meanwhile everybody else on the train gets delayed while we dealt with them.

Having said that there were also several other Pompey fans on board who were no problem whatsoever.
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richisbradders »

The above sums up the Pompey fans really. Absolutely terrific during the games etc. But some proper idiots amongst them.

Had a great day out and like selsey said I was very impressed with the town (or city as some of the less cultured amongst us shouted) we too were turned away from a few pubs and even a grill place for food.

I was similar to you selsey I thought their last goal looked a bit suspect. The replay for me looks like a bit of a foul. I think if the ref had a good view he wouldn't have allowed it. The ref was pretty good all game though in general.

Looking forward to the draw for round 4, wow, round 4
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

richisbradders wrote: I was similar to you selsey I thought their last goal looked a bit suspect. The replay for me looks like a bit of a foul. I think if the ref had a good view he wouldn't have allowed it.
Glad it wasn't just me then
richisbradders wrote: The ref was pretty good all game though in general.
Agree, he was soooo much better than the usual standard we get in L2
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Many thanks SB, us exiles have missed your comprehensive reports which tell us how "it is"
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Fratton End Exile
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Fratton End Exile »

If that game had been a Premier League game the ref would have given a foul for Murphy.
Vince
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Many thanks for the report- as always

I can see the dilemma faced by Paul Cook and the team with regard to Murphy, who has cost us points in D2 and possibly the win yesterday. He has only three goal keepers.

One is very inexperienced. The second is injured and will need first-team practice for a return (even if he is good enough).

The third is Murphy, who has the issues mentioned above.

But what does Cook do in these circumstances?

First, he quietly searches urgently for a new goal keeper in the January 2016 recruitment window. But he does not know for certain if he will be successful. He therefore makes no public announcement whatsoever.

Second, he attempts to build Murphy's confidence: football is, partly at least, a confidence game. He gives Murphy a new contract to the end of the season. He makes no public criticism of Murphy because it will serve no purpose.

Third, he crosses his fingers - like the rest of us - with regard to the rest of the season.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

That's probably a pretty good summary ME.

BTW, is it anyone from this board in the photo on the BBC Sport front page? We should be told!
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

Pompey Penguin wrote:That's probably a pretty good summary ME.

BTW, is it anyone from this board in the photo on the BBC Sport front page? We should be told!
No shot Sherlock is second from the left .Fratton End Exile is second from the right .
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Milton End wrote:Many thanks for the report- as always

I can see the dilemma faced by Paul Cook and the team with regard to Murphy, who has cost us points in D2 and possibly the win yesterday. He has only three goal keepers.

One is very inexperienced. The second is injured and will need first-team practice for a return (even if he is good enough).

The third is Murphy, who has the issues mentioned above.

But what does Cook do in these circumstances?

First, he quietly searches urgently for a new goal keeper in the January 2016 recruitment window. But he does not know for certain if he will be successful. He therefore makes no public announcement whatsoever.

Second, he attempts to build Murphy's confidence: football is, partly at least, a confidence game. He gives Murphy a new contract to the end of the season. He makes no public criticism of Murphy because it will serve no purpose.

Third, he crosses his fingers - like the rest of us - with regard to the rest of the season.
Good summing up ME. I'm pretty sure Paul Cook is fully aware of Murphy's shortcomings, but I suspect he just hasn't found a better keeper to replace him with. After all, PC has always said he will only bring in new players if they improve the squad. Assuming that is the case, he needs to get right behind the keeper in the meantime. Of all the positions on the pitch, the one of GK is the biggest 'confidence' one of all. Remember John Sullivan? Now no longer in the game :(
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

Selsey Bill wrote: Of all the positions on the pitch, the one of GK is the biggest 'confidence' one of all. :(
Arsene Wenger said many times that the best bit of business he did during the Summer was to sign Petr Cech which totally encapsulates the value of the goalkeeper - the custodian of the 6 yard box, the enforcer of confidence in the back line. Suddenly, the Gooners look a different team with the giant in the Rugby helmet prowling his box and the belief of his decision making flowing through the whole team - and probably the worst bit of business Mourinho did was to sell Cech to the Gooners, in the belief that Courtois was a better bet.....he paid with his job!

Goalkeepers these days are mostly giants at anything from 6'4" to 6'8" - it's the only way to meet the threat of opposition centre backs and their excursions into the defence zone at set pieces. Now, I take the point that comparison with the Premiership stars and our position in League 2 is scarcely fair, but at last we can aspire to the same lofty heights and poor old Murphy suffers from the malaise of being vertically challenged and thus not physical enough for the modern keeper and gets bullied accordingly. Not his fault, but that's the way it is - PC must be aware that a replacement is the most important signing he has to make to allow the team a chance of automatic promotion.......
Quantum of Stowmarket
Robbie Pethick
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Quantum of Stowmarket »

Just wanted to register with regards this FA Cup tie and to be fair, (I am an Ipswich fan of 20 + years) Portsmouth were unlucky not to go through at the first attempt. Yes we got a replay in the end but it was largely undeserved but our away form is impressive and many of our support indeed feel confident about progress in the second game.

We were largely outplayed yesterday and we didn't perform but McCarthy often treats the cup games with little enthusiasm.

Once again take nothing away from yourselves, you wanted it more and few of our support could have little complaint if we had gone out if not for that late goal. In the end we got another chance we didn't deserve but we'll travel over to Hampshire and give it a go, may the best team win on that night.

We lost to Southampton in last years competition after a replay so the odds may favour you here, but we'll see what happens and hope for an enterprising game with the referee having a quiet night and players putting on a show.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

pomp 'n circumstance wrote: PC must be aware that a replacement is the most important signing he has to make to allow the team a chance of automatic promotion.......
I have 100% faith in Paul Cook, and I'm pretty sure this is high on his agenda. He and his team have obviously not identified anyone suitable just yet, and they may not before the window closes. But that doesn't mean we wont get promoted. It's a team game.