Accrington Stanley

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Re: Accrington Stanley

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

The negative aspects of this final match seem to have taken over from the reality.
We had 66% of possession;
13 Shots
6 on target
9 Corners
Accrington commited 18 fouls to our 11

The world is full of "If onlys" but the Cowleys got us very close to the "Play Offs". How anybody can suggest that the Players were not trying when you look at those stats, is ridiculous. After all the Man of the Match was adjudged to be their Goalkeeper. For us we were lacking a bit of quality both upfront and in central defence.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Well, if we are going to start looking at it as a match, as opposed to "the match" with all the fallout of a season's disappointment, then we shouldn't be surprised at the outcome.

Before the game John Coleman said he couldn't park the bus, but especially second half that was largely what he did. Their back four sat deep, rarely far beyond the edge of the penalty box, and the midfield three became a four sitting just in front of the backs, leaving the two forwards to harry up front. We were faced with a situation that we have seen often, and once again couldn't find a solution. There was no space to get forwards in behind, either on the wings or through the centre, so we were left to try pick our way through and the only time this worked was the Daniels chance. As a result we didn't create anywhere near enough with the ball we had.

I put this down to a failure of squad building. We don't have a traditional centre-foward, not even someone like Olly Hawkins as a sub, so the opposition CBs can sit deep knowing that there will be no ariel threat from crosses. Nobody who can hold the ball and then release it to support players arriving at pace. Equally, and for the last four seasons, we have nobody able to pick a cute or accurate pass that will unlock this sort of defence (to look at the best, the way Kevin De Bruyne can pick out City's tiny forwards, however little space is available). These are the areas in which I would be investing the biggest part of our budget for next year.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:20 am The negative aspects of this final match seem to have taken over from the reality.
We had 66% of possession;
13 Shots
6 on target
9 Corners
Accrington commited 18 fouls to our 11

The world is full of "If onlys" but the Cowleys got us very close to the "Play Offs". How anybody can suggest that the Players were not trying when you look at those stats, is ridiculous. After all the Man of the Match was adjudged to be their Goalkeeper. For us we were lacking a bit of quality both upfront and in central defence.
Good point to make but I think that the negativity is concerning the quality in statistics you quote. First of all where was the team in the first half? Why did they leave it until the second half to up the intensity? Yes they had 13 shots but none matched the quality of Accrington winning shot. They did have 66% possession but what did they do with it? Their goalkeeper was made man of the match, for some reason, but he did not have to make any 'worldies'. Accrington's defence is poor which is the reason that they didn't finish higher but they were quite comfortable against our boys. Yes the players did try but not hard enough and not as hard as the Accrington players. No Pompey player ran himself into the ground and where was the blind panic and kitchen sink scenario as the second half wore on? I admire your positivity and loyalty but this lot doesn't deserve it.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I was disappointed with Neil Allen`s marks out of ten. He was watching a different game to the one I watched
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

portchesterblue wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:57 am
Betelgeuse wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:43 pm
meakinsl wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:34 pm Looking at the teams under new ownership and the teams coming down then with our budget we are going to be looking at play-offs at best - we have just to accept that our natural place is now league 1 unless we uncover some talent and manager that can blend a team of youngsters and loanees, if we had by some fluke managed to go up via the play-offs couldn't see us surviving. Depressing given our past but with the sensible living within our means thats where I think we are, league 1 with the odd adventure into the championship and back.
We need investment in the playing side by the owners. Can't see that happening so we'll remain a league one club for a generation if we're not careful. That and the lack of new stadium will see crowds dwindle over time as people lose interest.
If the owners want to make their asset in to one that's worth a lot of money they need to invest in the team to enable us to gain promotion, and build us a new stadium.
So what you are saying is that you believe that fans will only carrying on supporting the team if we have a new stadium, no stadium means the fans will disappear???
And you say you arwnt on a wind up ??
Yiu do know that there is this thing going round at the moment that means no fans have been allowed at games all season, resulting in the club losing circa 750k a month and yet you are moaning that they haven't built a stadium already and fans will stop supporting because of that.
If I say your name three time will you disappear??
What I'm saying is that we are being left behind even by smaller clubs because of the stadium issue. If we spend years and years at this level then crowds will drop off. In the 70's we regularly got less than 10,000 gates because we were stagnated in div 2. Unless some proper ambition is shown by the owners I think a lot of people will get bored with seeing smaller teams getting promoted over us.

If you're honestly happy with the progress since Eisner has been in charge then good for you, I expected much more progress. How long do you think it will take for fans to lose patience with their brick by brick approach?
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

meakinsl wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:34 pm Looking at the teams under new ownership and the teams coming down then with our budget we are going to be looking at play-offs at best - we have just to accept that our natural place is now league 1 unless we uncover some talent and manager that can blend a team of youngsters and loanees, if we had by some fluke managed to go up via the play-offs couldn't see us surviving. Depressing given our past but with the sensible living within our means thats where I think we are, league 1 with the odd adventure into the championship and back.
We need investment in the playing side by the owners. Can't see that happening so we'll remain a league one club for a generation if we're not careful. That and the lack of new stadium will see crowds dwindle over time as people lose interest.
If the owners want to make their asset in to one that's worth a lot of money they need to invest in the team to enable us to gain promotion, and build us a new stadium.
So what you are saying is that you believe that fans will only carrying on supporting the team if we have a new stadium, no stadium means the fans will disappear???
Yiu do know that there is this thing going round at the moment that means no fans have been allowed at games all season, resulting in the club losing circa 750k a month and yet you are moaning that they haven't built a stadium already and fans will stop supporting because of that.
Sorry I meant to add that I didn't say the fans would disappear if they didn't build a new stadium. I said that if they want to increase the value of their asset they need to build a stadium.
Maybe you didn't notice the subtle difference, or more likely changed the narrative to suit your argument.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Betelgeuse wrote: What I'm saying is that we are being left behind even by smaller clubs because of the stadium issue.
Yes left behind by all those other clubs with 20k+ stadiums in league one. 🤣
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Betelgeuse wrote:
Sorry I meant to add that I didn't say the fans would disappear if they didn't build a new stadium. I said that if they want to increase the value of their asset they need to build a stadium.
Maybe you didn't notice the subtle difference, or more likely changed the narrative to suit your argument.
Definitely B, Betelgeuse :lol:
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Betelgeuse wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:18 am Sorry I meant to add that I didn't say the fans would disappear if they didn't build a new stadium.
Betelgeuse wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:18 am That and the lack of new stadium will see crowds dwindle over time as people lose interest.
You did said the lack of a new stadium would contribute to seeing "crowds dwindle over time". I'd like to point to the fact FP has been around for over a centaury as a counter point to that argument.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I agree that we are being left behind as things stand. Other clubs, smaller clubs, are getting better stadiums with better facilities. Fratton Park is seen as an attraction because it is one of the few grounds left that retains an old fashioned atmosphere. A place for the nostalgic tourist to visit. There is nowhere left now that can match a rocking Fratton Park especially for a big game. Going to somewhere like Arsenal, for instance, is like a trip to the theater. I went there with my grandsons in the club section (semi corporate) and the experience is totally different. The crowd reaction is less intense leading my grandson to marvel at the surroundings but saying "it's not Fratton Park is it". I don't know what the Eisner's ultimate ambitions are but I do believe they want our club to succeed but only on secure and financially prudent means. That approach will see us slip further behind the other big clubs in League 1. So unless they provide a bigger playing budget I agree we are going to struggle to be competitive, in the short term at least.
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

Betelgeuse wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:18 am
Your post says that the lack of a stadium will cause crowds to dwindle over time as fans lose interest, that says to me that you think fans will stop supporting due to no new stadium. No narrative changed just using your own words
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

Just read what I actually said again. I don't want to argue about it but I said that if they wanted to increase the value of their asset they need to build a new stadium and invest in the squad.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

Sam_Brown wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:20 am
Betelgeuse wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:18 am Sorry I meant to add that I didn't say the fans would disappear if they didn't build a new stadium.
Betelgeuse wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:18 am That and the lack of new stadium will see crowds dwindle over time as people lose interest.
You did said the lack of a new stadium would contribute to seeing "crowds dwindle over time". I'd like to point to the fact FP has been around for over a centaury as a counter point to that argument.
It has you're right. And how terrible are the facilities?
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Sam_Brown wrote:
Hardly a 'counterpoint' is it? If anything it reinforces B's valid point that FP is showing it's age and the lack of any sign of substantial renovation signals to the paying customer that he/she is getting less value for their money.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Here are some stats on average attendances for the last 20 years. Covid notwithstanding I see nothing on there to suggest a decline in attendances. In fact the season 18/19 was our highest average attendance for a decade. Unless you have some data to back up your fears I see no reason to worry about declining attendances anytime soon.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-port ... erein/1020

That's not to say I don't agree it would be good to see FP with a good lick of paint and some decent refurbishments. Conference facilities and the like are a great way to increase revenue and I'd be all for anything that increases money coming in.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix