England v Scotland

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: England v Scotland

Post by Pompey Penguin »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:57 pm
jam tomorrow wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:53 pm Typical derby boring stalemate know each other too well
I beg to differ, England were sh!te, Scotland were excellent. One of the tournament favourites my arris!
Whilst I might agree with your overall point (I think), Scotland weren't excellent, they were as bad as England. It was just, like a mid-table Championship team playing a mid-Table PL team, they were the happier with the outcome as less was expected. However, (apart from the result) Scotland have no creativity aside from Andy Robertson down the left, two strikers who couldn't hit a barn door if they were nailed to it and no pace (again Robertson apart). Lots of hard work in a one-off game (where was that against CR?), but that's what underdogs do. Only a couple of decent attempts from each team, which says it all.

BTW. England's last four games: 1-0, 1-0, 1-0, 0-0. Hardly a one-off performance going forward and Southgate needs to start thinking about plan B.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Southgate needs to be replaced. Alas I don't know when with, maybe a foreign coach. It was dreadful last night and I hate to see exciting young players reduced to passing the ball backwards and afraid to take any chances.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:56 am
No Shot Sherlock wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:57 pm
jam tomorrow wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:53 pm Typical derby boring stalemate know each other too well
I beg to differ, England were sh!te, Scotland were excellent. One of the tournament favourites my arris!
Whilst I might agree with your overall point (I think), Scotland weren't excellent, they were as bad as England. It was just, like a mid-table Championship team playing a mid-Table PL team, they were the happier with the outcome as less was expected. However, (apart from the result) Scotland have no creativity aside from Andy Robertson down the left, two strikers who couldn't hit a barn door if they were nailed to it and no pace (again Robertson apart). Lots of hard work in a one-off game (where was that against CR?), but that's what underdogs do. Only a couple of decent attempts from each team, which says it all.

BTW. England's last four games: 1-0, 1-0, 1-0, 0-0. Hardly a one-off performance going forward and Southgate needs to start thinking about plan B.
Relative to their respective rankings and what could reasonably be expected of the two sides, I stand by my comment. Given that he has such an embarrassment of riches at his disposal, it beggars belief that Southgate is so obviously risk averse. What other Englishman could possibly have chosen Foden to be the one called off when Grealish was tiing his bootlaces? He sends teams out not to be beaten, rather than to win, and continues to favour out-of-form players such as Kane and Sterling rather than in form players such as Sancho. I'd love to see a stat for how many times England passed the ball backward, as opposed to forwards last night. I bet it was a hugely bigger percentage of times than was the case for the Sots.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Betelgeuse wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:54 am Southgate needs to be replaced. Alas I don't know when with, maybe a foreign coach. It was dreadful last night and I hate to see exciting young players reduced to passing the ball backwards and afraid to take any chances.
Spot on.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Yep on reflection Southgate ultimately responsible for unimaginative display. No need for two holding players Rice or Philips should have been replaced by Grealish. Ian Wright was right embarrassment Scotland brought us down to their level and bossed us all over the park
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
jabba monkey
Martin Kuhl
Been liked: 2 times

Post by jabba monkey »

Eddie Howe for England boss?

At least the games will be exciting ..
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:12 am
Betelgeuse wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:54 am Southgate needs to be replaced. Alas I don't know when with, maybe a foreign coach. It was dreadful last night and I hate to see exciting young players reduced to passing the ball backwards and afraid to take any chances.
Spot on.
Draw one game and everyone wants Gareth sacked!

:rofl :rofl
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Last night demonstrated what was being discussed on another thread concerning modern football. Some coaches are killing the game as an entertainment by employing tactics designed not to lose games, very Jackettesq. We have got an embarrassment of good young forward attacking talent yet we still persist with this robotic style of football. With so much attacking talent we do not need two holding midfield players when we are playing teams like Scotland. It showed Southgate's intentions when he took off Foden, a point gets us through. We have got so much forward talent we could field a team based on all out attack with players encouraged to take players on. Last night was an embarrassment.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Last night was about one Team being motivated beyond their skill level by this obscene "Hate the English" culture that exists in Scotland. The Young English Side had not experienced this before. England should have had at least one penalty, hit the post when they should have scored. Where as the Scots made Pickford earn his corn, when they should have scored. The long and short of it, is England have 4 points and a goal difference of plus one, Scotland have one point and a goal difference of minus two.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:11 am Relative to their respective rankings and what could reasonably be expected of the two sides, I stand by my comment.
Which is a fair point. It is the difference between considering expectation & relative performance to that, which you are doing, and absolute & comparative performance to other teams, which is what I am doing. Both are valid approaches.

More generally, the reaction to the game in the media would suggest that Scotland beat England easily, whereas they were two evenly matched teams on the day and 0-0 was a fair result given the lack of chances at either end. For example, The Guardian's average player ranking for England's staring XI was 4.6, whereas that for Scotland was 7.5, which is patent nonsense given the standard of the game; these are supposed to be objective rankings, not how a player did compared to how the analyst thought they were going to do. It's just silly over-reaction to both teams' performances.
Huntski
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Huntski »

The way the media have been, both before and after the game, anyone would think Scotland were in the Euro final.

That goes for the Scottish fans too. Well done them for winning last night. 👏👏👏

Oh wait. They didn't.
Remember, excuses are like A-holes, everyone has got one.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

It was basically a FA Cup tie last night. The lower league side did a job on us. We'd do them in the replay.

That being said England are just boring to watch, last night wasn't much worse than Sunday but on Sunday we go the result. If we manage to win it, nobody will remember how bad the games were.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:07 pm It was basically a FA Cup tie last night. The lower league side did a job on us. We'd do them in the replay.

That being said England are just boring to watch, last night wasn't much worse than Sunday but on Sunday we go the result. If we manage to win it, nobody will remember how bad the games were.
I always think that we only really remember the last game of a tournament that we played - the early ones are just to be got through. Portugal won the last Euros but only won their first game in 90 mins at the semis.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Many good points made here with analysis being made from different angles. The fact doesn't change that England have got far better players than Scotland but that wasn't evident last night. I don't think any more than 3 Scottish players would get into the English squad. The result was a fair one on the way the game went which means Scotland did not win as you would have thought looking at the press. They were let off the hook by Southgate insisting on playing this harnest robotic style of football instead of unleashing the brightest batch of young attacking talent that this country has produced in a long while. He showed his intent by removing Foden and settling for a place in the next round.
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

The thing that just stood out head and shoulders above anything else for me last night was that virtually every time an England player got the ball their first instinct was to pass backwards or sideways. Have England employed Richard Hughes as a passing coach ?
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!