England v Czech Republic

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: England v Czech Republic

Post by New Forester »

Once again an early near miss followed by a nervy cautious performance. But a moment of class sealed it. Based on that display we won’t get much further. But what the heck. We will be at Wembley, big crowd with a team who have the skills to beat anyone. Let’s just hope they turn up and get a fair share of luck.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Have we really only had 5 shots on target in 3 games yet still managed to win 2 of them?
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

[quote="Mr Dee" post_id=907327 time=1624427353 user_id=42772]
Have we really only had 5 shots on target in 3 games yet still managed to win 2 of them?
[/quote]

And hit the post once in each of the matches and not conceded a goal. Let`s be positive!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

[quote=Huntski
England 1 up, jocks losing to Croatia, no doubt they'll still be celebrating their 'win' against England..... despite exiting the tournament by finishing bottom of the group.
[/quote]

Bizarre is it not, all the headlines were about Scotland being nearly getting the result that would have taken them out of the initial stages of a tournament for the first time in their existance. Where as England who topped the group, by not conceding a goal (even against that amazing Scottish Team who one would have thought had won the match last friday) and winning against both Croatia & The Czech Republic. Never mind perhaps in another 23 years Scotland might qualify again for a major tournament
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

The BBC news early website headlined Scotland’s loss with England’s win as a sideline. Sums up - bad news takes precedence.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Pompeymack
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Pompeymack »

I don't think you guys are giving Scotland any credit, they have been involved in two of the tournaments best goals. Schick of Cech rep and Modric of Croatia.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:53 am
Mr Dee wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:49 am Have we really only had 5 shots on target in 3 games yet still managed to win 2 of them?
And hit the post once in each of the matches and not conceded a goal. Let`s be positive!

Really I was just reminded of alot of games I've seen at FP in the last few years
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

The tournament proper starts now. We are all to quick to complain about this or moan about that but let's just wait and see.

I was amazed listening to 606 last night how many people were criticising England for actually winning and not playing strategically to get a draw to "face one of the crap teams in the last 16". Hint... There aren't/won't be any crap teams in the last 16!!
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

GreenBlue wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:21 pm The tournament proper starts now. We are all to quick to complain about this or moan about that but let's just wait and see.

I was amazed listening to 606 last night how many people were criticising England for actually winning and not playing strategically to get a draw to "face one of the crap teams in the last 16". Hint... There aren't/won't be any crap teams in the last 16!!
The good old British defeatist mentality
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

GreenBlue wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:21 pm The tournament proper starts now. We are all to quick to complain about this or moan about that but let's just wait and see.

Yes. England could have ended up second, and then there would be a good chance they play Spain on neutral territory (Copenhagen). As it is England will have a "home" game against one of the following.

France: No thanks. I think they are too good all round.
Germany: Wide variance in performance so far, but otherwise you know what you're getting and England should be competitive. Might be a cagey game.
Portugal: The talent worries me, especially if we give them space in midfield like we did the CR at times. However, they are incredibly narrow, and there should be opportunities for wide players and FBs going forward (please play Trippier and not Walker). Should be entertaining.

But ultimately, you just have to play the team in front of you. There is no room for faffing about in KO football.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:00 am [quote=Huntski
England 1 up, jocks losing to Croatia, no doubt they'll still be celebrating their 'win' against England..... despite exiting the tournament by finishing bottom of the group.
Bizarre is it not, all the headlines were about Scotland being nearly getting the result that would have taken them out of the initial stages of a tournament for the first time in their existance. Where as England who topped the group, by not conceding a goal (even against that amazing Scottish Team who one would have thought had won the match last friday) and winning against both Croatia & The Czech Republic. Never mind perhaps in another 23 years Scotland might qualify again for a major tournament
[/quote]

Is there a minor tournament that they could qualify for?

I am ashamed to admit that I was disappointed that the Scots scored. For all their waxing lyrical over their performance against England, I'd have laughed had they exited the tournament without even scoring. Never mind.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour