Inadvertent game changer

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 134 times

Inadvertent game changer

Post by Blue Walter »

Because of the inclement weather conditions on Saturday Pompey revealed a side to them I did not think they had. They showed aggression, determination, and fast attacking play. Because the pitch was so bad they had to scrap their endless passing style and get the ball forward much quicker. As a result they pounded Sunderland with a display of attacking intent, and they played some decent football at times as well. I think it was the second goal where the move that created it fully deserved a goal.

With this game under their belt I wonder it has occurred to Danny Cowley and the players that this really could be the way forward. If they could play that way on a dodgy pitch what could they serve up on a decent pitch? Saturdays game could really be this season's game changer.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 183 times
Been liked: 36 times

Re: Inadvertent game changer

Post by Betelgeuse »

Let's hope so, all that passing out from the back is pointless at the pace we do it.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Betelgeuse wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:13 am Let's hope so, all that passing out from the back is pointless at the pace we do it.
I wonder if the Cowleys said to each other, well it worked for England, so it must be right, relating to the boring passing style. I would feel sorry for those who have paid regularly to watch the team, only to see the durge of entertainment shown thus far. It may not work against every team, but Saturday should gett hem thinking.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

I'm not disagreeing with the general observation here, but a couple of points.

Pompey have already played this way this season. Most notably away to Wigan, where (apart from not creating too many chances) they looked in a different league for 60 minutes, and were unlucky to lose 1-0. Then there was the international break, after which it all fell apart at MK Dons and their confidence has nose-dived since. The type of players Pompey have and the way Cowley wants to play requires that they are confident and incisive in their approach; they can't just lump it forward aimlessly towards the opposition CBs. I hope that Saturday is the start of a return to the play at the start of the season.

Against Sunderland, Pompey quickly worked out that thay could play the ball as hard as they liked behind the FBs, and the pitch would hold it up, allowing pressure to be applied to the FBs in possession. On a normal pitch these passes would have run through for a goal kick. As a result, the quick attacks were into areas where Pompey are strong (wide attacker and WB combinations), rather than high and through the middle where they get isolated and out-muscled. This was intelligent playing to the conditions, but will be more difficult and the passes will have to be more accurate on other days. However, it is the right approach given our players, and we need to persist doing the right things even when they don't always work, rather than retreating into the scared of making a mistake and taking the easy backward pass option, before banging towards Marquis playing against two big CBs.

Bonus note. Joe Morrell is becoming so important to this team.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Whatever the system I just hope DC has stumbled across what works for us and applies it in other games. Hopefully there will be other occasions when weather is bad enough to this again
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times

Post by Dinksy »

I think the best system to work in future is a few more sprinklers on the pitch....
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 388 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

:thumb Or build the new stadium in the Solent
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

We could have the best watered pitch in the league and share it with the water volley team :thumb :thumb
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Daniel
Martin Kuhl

Post by Daniel »

I’ve been saying we should play more direct when in possession ,effectively midfield and front players need to chase and press our long ball be it win the second balls or press the defence play a bit more of a territory game but like rugby.

Direct play with a purpose rather then the dire long ball to lone forward miles away from any other player having to hold up the ball to get support.

Direct football could be entertaining to watch if aggressive
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

I would prefer a mixture of the two styles. I don't have a problem with playing out from the back as long as we are looking to play triangles up the pitch without delay - eg pass and move rather than pass and wait for the ball to come back to you like we have been doing. We need to get Morrell on the ball as much as possible and let him run the midfield and see the passes to make. If opponents are playing the high press, especially in the first half, then go long with a high press ourselves for a while to force them back and keep them guessing.

It all sounds great here, but maybe not quite so easy to implement on the pitch!