Denver Hume

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Re: Denver Hume

Post by jam tomorrow »

Looks like the Hume deal is going ahead let’s hope he can help us score some desperately needed goals
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

jam tomorrow wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:47 pm Looks like the Hume deal is going ahead let’s hope he can help us score some desperately needed goals
I’m sure he’s been brought in to score goals 82 career games 3 goals I think Brown is more prolific he’s got 3 already this season
So I guess we can trust Cowley to spend wisely.
Why pay a fee for someone we can possibly get for nothing in the summer to replace someone who is adequate for our transitional season who will presumably be leaving in the summer if this deal goes through.
But then I would never be the one to criticise his judgment would I
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Pompey55 »

jam tomorrow wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:40 pm Just go on to Sunderland AFC site to see the vitriol can’t believe they are talking about the same player DC may be proposing to sign it really would not be a player I would want in our team just hope our recruitment know what they are doing if this rumour is true.
I hope you remember this comment when suggesting he was our goal scoring saviour unless you have caught a bad dose of sarcasm :D
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

I hope I am proved wrong but I would say the “Jury is out “ on this signing if it goes ahead?
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Apparently we are looking at two options and it’s between Hume or Tom Pearce based on feedback from fans Pearce would be a better option. So we’ll probably get Hume who I understand Charlton we’re looking at but went for another player.
-- Diane Johnson
Daniel
Martin Kuhl

Post by Daniel »

I have never seen the lad play and I’d imagine a lot of pompey fans haven’t either but already writing him off.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 386 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

I would be prepared to get fully behind any player who joins Pompey and this, if it happens, will be no exception. Footbsll is a funny old game (RIP Greavsie) and it is amazing how some players' fortunes change following a transfer.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

if various papers are to be believed then a fee of circa £175k has been agreed with Sunderland for Denver Hume and he is scheduled to have a medical today. Apparently Sunderland would receive 25% of any sell on fee too.

Apparently Pompey were interested in him in August but if we had signed him Pompey would have to have paid a training fee to Sunderland for him and that had been calculated at circa £750k since he had been at Sunderland since he was 8 years old. This is the justification for the fee.

When he broke into the Sunderland side he was being touted as a future premiership left sided player and there are one or two videos on youtube showing him scoring last season vs Wycombe and whipping in a few crosses from the left wing back position for forwards to score from. He has fallen out of favour a little and picked up an injury or two but is still only 23yo and seems to be at least 'a round peg in a round hole' for the wing back system DC wants to go with.

typical Sunderland reaction to him re-signing in August:

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Seems like the right sort of signing for me and fits the mould. £200k not a bad fee, with a sell on.

Don't really care how many a wing back scores more interested in if he can cross / best a man.

Looks like there is a bit of money to spend for the right sort of player too.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Annoyingly I can't find the video I saw of Hume whipping in a cross for the forward to head home at the far post!

If he can do that consistently we will have something to build from
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 386 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:47 pm
Don't really care how many a wing back scores more interested in if he can cross / beat a man.
Agreed fully. He will be brought in primarily for that very purpose not as a goal scorer so let's give the lad a chance.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2022/1 ... enver-hume

decent review of Denver Hume from a Sunderland fan.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:04 am https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2022/1 ... enver-hume

decent review of Denver Hume from a Sunderland fan.
Great really good read. Does sound like a "Cowley" type player. So hopefully he'll be able to get the best out of him.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Thanks for sharing this article Jack Tinn. Looks like we might actually have a player in Denver who can cross a ball?
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

you are most welcome. I get the impression that he is a young player with about a season and a half of experience in the first team. He is more natural playing on the front foot as an attacking left footed / left sided wing back than defending and retreating towards his own penalty area.

That being said he had shown improvement as a defender before he got injured and lost his first team place. He got half the Sunderland crowd offside in the off-season when he delayed signing a new contract and this season he has not been first choice as the left back / wingback for Sunderland.

It seems likely to me that he might have been delaying signing a new contract because he wanted first team football at 23yo and Sunderland could not give that to him necessarily.

He has played his entire career so far at Sunderland so this would be a big move for him to the other end of the country but as the article says he has shown some quality and at 23yo he just needs to be given the opportunity to play and develop. People in the past thought he could be a premiership type player if he developed well so this seems to me to be a relatively low risk, high ceiling type of signing for Pompey.

IMHO I very much hope that the fans just give him time for him to find his feet before expecting too much from him. If we do that we might have something good here in Denver Hume.