That's the problem with foreign owners

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

That's the problem with foreign owners

Post by Blue Walter »

The situation at Chelsea confirms the danger in foreign owners owning our crown jewels. Obviously home grown ownership are not always the best scenario but I would think there is a less perilous situation. We have got foreign owners but I think, and hope, they show more responsibility & respect to our heritage than is generally applied by
many foreign owners. Many foreign owners see their acquisitions as trophies or status symbols. I am sure that some home grown owners have the same outlook but at least being born in this country they will be aware of the history and standing of clubs.

Personally I think there should be some sort of legislation to protect symbolic British institutions that are part of our history and heritage. Cadburys, for instance, has a history of being an iconic British manufacturer, especially with its roots in Bournville and the story attached to it's growth. That has been sold off and now to foreign owners who can send it to oblivion if they want to in order to make a fat profit. Then there is Rolls Royce which is seen as an iconic symbol of British engineering plus many other such examples. I believe we have a duty to protect such institutions to remain British owned.